Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 03:02 PM

Default La Crete Ab Question

I may be going up there next week to see an Ins claim. I have been as far as Red Earth to fish Peerless and Graham lakes years ago and I know it was paved to there. Just wondering if it's paved all the way to La Crete? Looks to be on google maps.

May determine my mode of transportation seeing the lack of winter were having. The 4x4 or take the Kids Mazda 3 on winter tires and save some fuel costs.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I may be going up there next week to see an Ins claim. I have been as far as Red Earth to fish Peerless and Graham lakes years ago and I know it was paved to there. Just wondering if it's paved all the way to La Crete? Looks to be on google maps.

May determine my mode of transportation seeing the lack of winter were having. The 4x4 or take the Kids Mazda 3 on winter tires and save some fuel costs.

Thanks
It's paved all the way, from all directions.

We have had some snow over the past couple of days so the roads might be a tad slippery in places.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-23-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks
I would take 88 and the Mazda and you will be fine.

5 or 6 years ago, when 88 was gravel, it may have been different. The road is likely better than you think.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Take your ice gear and check out Wadlin Lake on your way, easily accessible from Hwy. 88.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:55 PM

Supposed to be on the cold side next week but good to know it's paved. I would be going the Red Earth route. I guess I wait and see if the trip comes together. 12 ish hrs of driving, plus work, all in a day trip, not sure there is time to fish even though it would be nice to try.

Thanks all.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:10 PM

Well whatta ya gunna do for the other 12 hours...
Old 02-23-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Supposed to be on the cold side next week but good to know it's paved. I would be going the Red Earth route. I guess I wait and see if the trip comes together. 12 ish hrs of driving, plus work, all in a day trip, not sure there is time to fish even though it would be nice to try.

Thanks all.
Up and back in one day, that would be awful.

There is something about the 250 km from Red Earth to LaCrete that always feels like 400km to me. With it being your first time, maybe you will see it different.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:30 PM

If you go up 88, take your time and stop in at Utikima. If you are lucky, the eyes can be very cooperative.

Try by the first island from KM 84, on the west side of the island, and take a Fire Orange jigging spoon with a minnow on a stinger hook, about 100 yards from the island in 8 FOW.

Report the results.

Drewski
Old 02-23-2017, 04:42 PM

Alberta 511 is pretty useful for information regarding highways.

http://511.alberta.ca/map.html#l=36&...&z=0&lb=1&rb=1
Old 02-23-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Up and back in one day, that would be awful.

There is something about the 250 km from Red Earth to LaCrete that always feels like 400km to me. With it being your first time, maybe you will see it different.
Did Edmonton to High Level in a day last spring to see a burnt Logging Processor at the Mill. That was a long day trip but you leave early and it's not too late when your back home. Took my retired dad with me on that one.

Never been past Red Earth so looking forward to the drive and new country. Probably take my 18 yr old as company and extra driver if needed, seeing he is not working yet.

Actually hoping they say go up. Hard to estimate a hard crash to a newer T800 by pics. Especially when you have to decide if your fixing it or writing it off.

Would love to hit a lake but it wont be on this trip.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Edmonton to LaCrete should be an eight hour drive at the speed limit.

There's not a lot to see past Red Earth, just more of what you see south to Slave Lake.

If you get a chance, Fort Vermilion is a historic site and probably the most interesting place on the route.

If you've been through the town of Peace River in the past, a trip to Fort Vermilion and the bridge across the Peace River would be interesting.
There is no valley at Fort Vermilion.
You drop down a small hill on the south side but the north side, the bridge is level with the surrounding landscape all the way to High Level.

It would be a bit out of your way, you turn off 88 about 14 miles south of the Fort.
Google doesn't show it but there's a short cut from 88 into LaCrete. Fortunately it's well signed so you shouldn't miss it.
I'm not sure if it has a highway number but I do know it's township road 1062a.

It will be just past a gentle S bend on hwy. 88, after get down onto flat ground.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-23-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

There's not a lot to see past Red Earth, just more of what you see south to Slave Lake.

If you get a chance, Fort Vermilion is a historic site and probably the most interesting place on the route.

If you've been through the town of Peace River in the past, a trip to Fort Vermilion and the bridge across the Peace River would be interesting.
You drop down a small hill on the south side but the north side, the bridge is level with the surrounding landscape all the way to High Level.

It would be a bit out of your way, you turn off 88 about 14 miles south of the Fort.
Google doesn't show it but there's a short cut from 88 into LaCrete. Fortunately it's well signed so you shouldn't miss it.

It will be just past a gentle S bend on hwy. 88, after get down onto flat ground.
It's a pretty easy 7 hours, maybe 6 1/2. I do 130-140 between LaCrete and Red Earth, and I have never once seen a Mountie in 17 years. Maybe 115 the rest of the way.

Over a long trip, it adds up to a big time saving.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:56 PM

Quiet a bit of snow fell around the washall camp
Old 02-23-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

6 1/2 if the weather is good and you don't stop much.

As was said, red earth to la is a boring long stretch.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:02 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
It's a pretty easy 7 hours, maybe 6 1/2. I do 130-140 between LaCrete and Red Earth, and I have never once seen a Mountie in 17 years. Maybe 115 the rest of the way.

Over a long trip, it adds up to a big time saving.
I drive the speed limit. I can get in more then enough trouble without breaking the law.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-24-2017, 08:58 AM

working near red earth, was up there last night. it was really snowing with tons of it coming down. see what its like today
Old 02-24-2017, 10:26 AM

My suggestion, stay in Lacrete over night, has a decent hotel and a couple of good restaurants, though no place to get a drink. Makes a lot nicer trip. You can go up on 88 and come back over the ice bridge and down through Manning and get to enjoy the scenery. Driving during daylight in that part of the country is a whole bunch safer. There is a ton of animals get hit on the highways up there year round.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:27 AM

If i go, i leave early. I would be in LaCrete around 1 pm ish if roads are good( i don't push the speed limit much anymore) and assuming it's 7 hrs up, I would be done what I need to do and back on the road in an hour after getting there. I have been to High Level through Peace River last year, liked that drive. Looking forward to seeing this route. I don't stop much, I take me some water, elk sausage and snacks, grab fast food along the way. Only stop for peeing, gas and work lol. And I will most likely have my 18 yr old son with me for company and relief driving. Most of the drive would be in daylight.

Just waiting to hear the word go
Old 02-25-2017, 07:01 AM

One of the restaurants there has amazing ribs. I can never think of the name but I can picture what it looks like.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
One of the restaurants there has amazing ribs. I can never think of the name but I can picture what it looks like.
Country Grill

It's a crapshoot though. Just as likely to be rotten as excellent.