Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 04:32 PM

Complete waste of money but if they do get it I hope they hold the Nordic events in Bragg Creek instead of Canmore as we don't have the infrastructure to support a busy summer week end let alone hosting the world. But then again Maybe I could sell for 2 million and buy that quarter section I've been dreaming about.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:01 PM

I wonder the likelihood hood of success of being awarded again.

A repeat city... I really have no idea.

But if the chances are slim to none. I imagine the bidding process alone would be a fortune.

However. If they stand a fair chance. I'm all for any Olympics taking place in Canada as much as possible.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:06 PM

Also. I'm one of many. Who's tv tunes to the Olympics for the entire time they are broadcasted.

Love it. All of it. World class amateur atheletes competing for what they have spent their entire lives training for and dreaming of.

Regardless of any given sport. It's awesome. Except wrestling. Can't get into men's wrestling.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:09 PM

I took the survey last night. I'm all for it.
We're still using the 88 venues. What a way to get the municipality, province and Feds to spend coin on something that residents will get use and enjoyment out of for 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Frick, that was a hell of a long game to take 2 weeks to play out. why do you keep going back to this bizarre 2 week thing? It really does absolutely nothing to prove your point. you and I spent actually very little to host those games. we definitely aren't still paying for it now.
Because the ratings say 16 million people tuned into Olympic coverage sometime during the 2 weeks it was covered by TV media. You appear to be saying 1 out of 2 or 16 million Canadians actually watched the final hockey game?

When did we pay for the 2010 Olympics? We haven't. It is just another example of a tab of a few billion more dollars borrowed that got added onto to the trillion + dollar growing mountain of federal, provincial, municipal deficits and debt that we Canadian taxpayers and our grandchildren will likely never be able to pay off.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:01 PM

I would like to see it, be the only chance in my lifetime to go to the Olympics. I'm afraid with Nenshi, Notley, and T2 in charge it would be a financial boondoggle. The right people in charge it would be fine.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:37 PM

Olympic Economics 101

Tax payer underwrites all the expenses to get ready for games (venues, promotions, fees, etc)

Billions spent

Games begin

Multinationals get rich during the olympics - they earn billions.

Chump change trickles down into local economy.

Olympics end - multinationals and IOC leave with all the money

Money invested nearly equal money "earned" - the only problem is that those who invested are not the same people as those who profited.

Tax payers continue to pay to maintain un-used venues
Old 02-24-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I find it harder to give a crap about the Olympics each time it rolls around. So obviously I'm not the target demographic.
But, if you are a fan of the Olympics, wouldn't you rather that all that money was spent building bigger, faster athletes than hosting the games?
Also, I always figured it had to be a little disappointing for athletes who make the Olympics, and the games are in their hometown.
I think a lot of people don't really give a crap about the olympics anymore.All the doping, steroids etc. Definitely takes the shine off of the games. Used to love the East German "women" athletes.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:35 AM

Calgary 88 made money and the Olympic oval is the fastest ice in the world for speed skaters. Still have world class ski jumping and the Flames have the Saddledome, which they don't want anymore cuz it's too old. Hmmmm.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Calgary 88 made money and the Olympic oval is the fastest ice in the world for speed skaters. Still have world class ski jumping and the Flames have the Saddledome, which they don't want anymore cuz it's too old. Hmmmm.
The big ski jump is unusable, cause jumpers today would land on the uphill side off the jump, the landing is to short.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:28 AM

Default Opposed

Scrolled through all the posts to see if my reasons came up. Yup.
1) Take out men's hockey and what will the t.v. ratings be?
2) The Flames need a new arena that will be funded by taxpayers.
Interesting that the Olympic idea began floating after the Flames
started talking about a new arena. Fine, you can build it on my dime
as long as you reduce ticket prices so that I can attend games.
But that will never happen.
3) Nenshi needs a legacy? Not on my dime.
4) How about someone coming up with an economic analysis based on facts
and not on conjecture and speculation.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Because the ratings say 16 million people tuned into Olympic coverage sometime during the 2 weeks it was covered by TV media. You appear to be saying 1 out of 2 or 16 million Canadians actually watched the final hockey game?
Did you even look at the viewership link being referenced? Yes he is talking about the 2010 Men's Gold Hokey Game Canada vs US. There was 16.67million vewiers for that game alone. I watched it as well as the women's gold game that year at work. The entire shop shut down to watch them.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:48 AM

I was in Calgary during the 88 games and I say NO.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headdamage View Post
I was in Calgary during the 88 games and I say NO.
Thanks for the insight!

Cheers
Old 02-24-2017, 12:20 PM
Banned

Some serious advantages to holding these again if its done right.

I think the trick is to reuse the existing facilities we have.

I believe all we really need is new Ski Jumping and perhaps modifying the Bobsled..

It will be great for our city and for the ongoing legacy that 88 brought us.

Just do it...

Jamie
Old 02-24-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post

When did we pay for the 2010 Olympics? We haven't. It is just another example of a tab of a few billion more dollars borrowed that got added onto to the trillion + dollar growing mountain of federal, provincial, municipal deficits and debt that we Canadian taxpayers and our grandchildren will likely never be able to pay off.
Did you even read any of the Information in the link posted by WAGS? apparently not, here it is for your viewing pleasure again. The ratings clearly show that 16.67 million tuned in to the mens final.

The top 5 all time shows were from the 2010 Olympics. 12 of the top 20 broadcasts of all time in Canada were from the Olympics. other than a few sites which aren't exactly reputable, nothing can be found anywhere which shows we are still paying for the 2010 games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...asts_in_Canada
Old 02-24-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
nothing can be found anywhere which shows we are still paying for the 2010 games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...asts_in_Canada
Ok, half of Canadians watched the hockey finals and lots watched the opening and closing ceremonies and some of the other games, that just tells me that the rest of the Olympics was not viewed anyway near as much as the Final. If Canada got knocked out in the first round and it was Latvia and Slovakia in the finals the viewership would be far less. This is what I'm getting at. That's an enormous amount of money to spend to watch a hockey series and we are fortunate Canada made the finals or the stats would be a lot different. I wonder if the 2010 Olympics was held somewhere else and Canada made the gold medal finals I'm betting it would probably get pretty similar viewership all without having to borrow a penny to host the Olympics at a time when we really can't afford to.

Nothing can be found anywhere that says the Olympics are paid off. It's like every other thing the government spends or spent borrowed money on. If we actually paid those things off we would not have debts or be running continued deficits. Until we are debt free nothing is paid off.

Personally I have nothing against the Olympics, but when Canada is pretty much broke as a country along with each province, I take a dim view of governments borrowing money for entertainment when pensioners cupboards are empty, veterans are living on the streets, our schools and medical systems are stretched to the limit.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Complete waste of money but if they do get it I hope they hold the Nordic events in Bragg Creek instead of Canmore as we don't have the infrastructure to support a busy summer week end let alone hosting the world. But then again Maybe I could sell for 2 million and buy that quarter section I've been dreaming about.
I can't imagine poor little Bragg Creek hosting the olympic nordic events. Although, I definitely would want to be the local coffee shop owner if that ever happened

Yes, this past year I could really feel a surge in how busy Canmore has gotten, moreso than the past 16 years I've lived here. It's a blessing and a curse - the '88 Olympics are what lit the fuse for Canmore's growth surge and relative recession-proof real estate market. I'm hopeful a successful bid will show the world (again) what a great part of the globe we live in, but I sure don't relish going to the Canmore Safeway or Save On for groceries during an Olympics! In high season this past summer during long weekends the grocery store shelves were picked clean and looked like a scene from grocery shopping in Cuba...
Old 02-25-2017, 12:15 AM

I was fortunate enough to get to go to the Vancouver oly's, I have never seen such a display of Canadian pride. Almost every home, business, car, public transport all plastered with Canada flags. A few houses had the Canada flag made out of X-mass lights on the roof, it was absolutely incredible. The city was was non stop 24/7 excitement. Was 5' away from John Montgomery when someone handed him that picture of beer. If your a sports fan or not that was absolutely magical. Must of met 2 dozen people from all around the globe. The Olympics bring out the best in humanity, everyone sets their differences aside and unite, it's a beautiful thing. I swore if I ever had the chance to attend another games winter or summer I would be there.

With that said it's different than it was just a few years ago, I think van was just all the stars aligning for the perfect storm. In this economy and the dummy's in power I can see where everyone's reluctance comes from. Just can't see it happening but if did, I will be there.

I still get goosebumps when I watch this. Scroll through the comments

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kz8tzP3oeDg
Old 02-25-2017, 01:48 AM

Waste of money. I hear the words legacy and pride thrown around a lot. Screw that, time to use our brains. Another money pit we don't need. The only Olympics I've ever watched is a couple hockey games, the rest is so useless. And I'd be just as happy watching some NHL instead

Old 02-25-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
Waste of money. I hear the words legacy and pride thrown around a lot. Screw that, time to use our brains. Another money pit we don't need. The only Olympics I've ever watched is a couple hockey games, the rest is so useless. And I'd be just as happy watching some NHL instead

So because you don't like it let's just let it die? Sounds reasonable.

Some people have had it with the NHL you enjoy with out of control salaries, ticket prices and half billion dollar arenas, might as well shut that down to hey?

Let's just pull the pin on everything some people don't like
Old 02-25-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
So because you don't like it let's just let it die? Sounds reasonable.

Some people have had it with the NHL you enjoy with out of control salaries, ticket prices and half billion dollar arenas, might as well shut that down to hey?

Let's just pull the pin on everything some people don't like

The NHL is a business. If it makes or looses money is on the owners back, not the tax payer. If a team was going to take taxpayer money to stay afloat, I'd say get rid of it. Especially if that money stood no chance of ever getting recouped.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:15 AM

No, no, and no. Enough with the waste. There is a reason the committee is having trouble finding hosts, it's a money pit. The cost of security alone, OMG.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-25-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
And I'd be just as happy watching some NHL instead

Pretty much was being that the Canadian and US 'olympic' teams were loaded with 'Professional' NHL players.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:20 PM

I will admit I am bias. I have competed in the Olympics in the sport of biathlon. Sport is a very powerful thing for me. For whatever reason sport seems to temporarily bring humanity to its best. The legacy that '88 left behind is still shining today. Nakiska, Mt. Shark, Canmore Nordic Centre, COP Venues would have to be updated, some new infrastructure built but we are closer than a lot of other venues. The Olympics can become a more sustainable event.

When it comes to advertising sports are becoming one of the only relevant shows on TV today. Everything else can just be recorded and watched later, sure you can record the Olympics and watch them later, but you want to see the competition as it is happening.

The economic tourism spinoff for the Olympics must be pretty big. I have met many people in Europe who's dream it is to visit the Canadian Rockies, this is the kind of event that gets them over here, spending their euros on our soil.

Yes it is a big investment, but the payoff is more than just the money that makes its way back into the economy. It's the Canadian youngsters that are going to push themselves and others to try make it to the Olympics, sure only a small percentage make it, but that doesn't take away from the life lessons they gain along the way, lessons of discipline, patience, hard work and many others.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
No, no, and no. Enough with the waste. There is a reason the committee is having trouble finding hosts, it's a money pit. The cost of security alone, OMG.
Mark me down as a BIG no......

Now if the games are accepted then IMHO, they need to establish two categories of athletes; like drag racing, they need to run stock and modified. This whole drug testing is a joke.....

Just saying...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
The NHL is a business. If it makes or looses money is on the owners back, not the tax payer. If a team was going to take taxpayer money to stay afloat, I'd say get rid of it. Especially if that money stood no chance of ever getting recouped.

What do you call a $500 million dollar arena in Edmonton paid for by taxpayers?

Pure subsidy of increased profits for the owner.

Without the oilers, Edmonton would never have spent this money.

I would love for these professional teams to make it on the owners backs only and not suck up taxpayer money.....but they all play the same extortion of fans/move the team game. We just have politicians that are stupid fans or have been bought by the team owner.

So I can put you down for getting rid of the oilers??
Old 02-25-2017, 09:47 PM

No thx
Old 02-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
KLEIN was mayor in 88= Sucessful Olympics

Nenshi Mayor or any Current councilor = uncontroled spending, they cant even run the city with the money they get now. How will they pay for it.
Its only 10 cups of Coffee a month. Suck it up so I can look good to the world.

I was on the fence, I filled out the survey this morning. With their explanation now I am opposed to it.

MAC
+1 to this sentiment.With Spendshi the purple socialist running the show we would wind up with a Ctrain to Cochrane.

FTH