Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2017, 01:18 PM

Default Underwater Tip Up Pike Analysis

https://youtu.be/H-ANx6a3XZU

Underwater Northern Pike Behavior while ice fishing using a Tip Up and Dead Herring for bait. To get this video I just sent a GoPro down to watch what would go on while I had a Tip Up set up. Pike even chased off a walleye. Was surprised since this was 5 feet of water and i havent seen the walleye in that area before. Check it out and hopefully you enjoy the analysis. Let me know what you're own thoughts are.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-21-2017, 01:36 PM

Was it a spot that gets fished a lot in the winter?

I find pike acting like that in spots where they seem educated. In those spots I drop my bait on the bottom like people that kick their fish down the hole when they leave and they seem to hit that hard.

In the same lake in a spot I walk 20 mins too that so far this year only has my holes I suspend the bait and they hammer it in that spot.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
Was it a spot that gets fished a lot in the winter?

I find pike acting like that in spots where they seem educated. In those spots I drop my bait on the bottom like people that kick their fish down the hole when they leave and they seem to hit that hard.

In the same lake in a spot I walk 20 mins too that so far this year only has my holes I suspend the bait and they hammer it in that spot.
Good to know. This is a common spot for tip up fishing during winter. But they were taking my other rig 50 yards away without hesitation.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:08 PM

Did you land any Pike that day? That sucks about the hand cream I would never have thought about that. I love tip up fishing, I know its sort of the lazy mans form of fishing but whatever, when that flag goes up the adrenaline starts flowing and theres no better feeling!

PS Where do you do your fishing? Would love to get out sometime before season end with a pro!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sracette View Post
Did you land any Pike that day? That sucks about the hand cream I would never have thought about that. I love tip up fishing, I know its sort of the lazy mans form of fishing but whatever, when that flag goes up the adrenaline starts flowing and theres no better feeling!

PS Where do you do your fishing? Would love to get out sometime before season end with a pro!
Yeah this is from the same day that I filmed the I Fish Pro catching some very nice Northern pike about 30 yards from this tip up. So I was too busy with the I Fish Pro to care that the other one wasn't going off. I probably caught 10 pike that morning and biggest 38 inches. If you're interested here is a video from above the water on another hole that day. Trust me if both my lines are not going off for a stretch of 30 minutes I'm changing holes, changing bait. I never sit with no action all day.

https://youtu.be/qze8WLzL_48

Where do I do my fishing really is not that straight forward since I'm always trying to fish new locations. I live in BC now, so I fish all around Vancouver Island on the ocean/ lakes, Fish the Lower Mainland Rivers and lakes, Fish the Lakes around Merritt, Kamloops and the Okanagan area. I fish in the USA California, Idaho, Washington likely to start in Montana since I have family there now. Also get Back to Alberta once in a while and even been into Saskatchewan. So I fish where ever I can.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:15 PM

When pike in those moods - I tend to downsize the bait and often that results in more takes.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
When pike in those moods - I tend to downsize the bait and often that results in more takes.
The funny thing is this is the same day and same time I was catching all kinds on the I fish Pro with same size of herring. That is why I think something was wrong with the bait or I got some bad mojo on that one.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:49 AM

Cool video man! Loved how when the pike spooked the walleye its spines went from relaxed to alert! Fish looked a little gun-shy in my opinion. Perhaps it had been caught the day before or something to that effect. I feel like if a little jiggin action could be added to a jaw jacker just to give that bait the faintest of wiggles it could have enticed a bite.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:51 AM

Not sure on your original question. However, you can download the gopro app and watch your camera live. I know you were busy with your Ifish Pro that day, but turning the wifi on the cam you could have possibly detected these fish.
In the grand scheme of things who really cares. You had a fantastic day out there
Old 02-24-2017, 11:58 AM

One thing I would look into is the difference in the resistance of the ifish pro to this tipup. Some of those were some decent little tugs, enough for the fish to feel the resistance and know something was up. With less resistance they might have swam away with the bait in mouth and then readjusted it.

I am not sold on hanging the herring downwards like that either, it would be cool to set up two cameras one watching a horizontal bait and one watching a downward bait like this. Then compare how many fish looked at and would/wouldn't bite.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Not sure on your original question. However, you can download the gopro app and watch your camera live. I know you were busy with your Ifish Pro that day, but turning the wifi on the cam you could have possibly detected these fish.
In the grand scheme of things who really cares. You had a fantastic day out there
Would the wifi work? I don't think the signal will travel through water.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
Would the wifi work? I don't think the signal will travel through water.
I would be very curious to see...
Old 02-24-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I would be very curious to see...
WiFi signal doesn't work through the water unfortunately.

RavYak I didn't believe the nose down orientation either. I've always put them as horizontal as possible before. I feel would get more hits with the horizontal some days but more smaller and more lost fish on hook set. Then I looked online at what guys were doing and one subscriber was after me to change bait orientation. So I tried. Now i believe. I've got more and bigger pike than I ever have and my biggest pike ever came with this orientation. I'm not going back but maybe next time I'm out I'll do the set up with two baits but that's difficult cause only allowed two lines. I'll tell the fish officer I'm conducting research.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:12 PM

Default Columbia River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Yeah this is from the same day that I filmed the I Fish Pro catching some very nice Northern pike about 30 yards from this tip up. So I was too busy with the I Fish Pro to care that the other one wasn't going off. I probably caught 10 pike that morning and biggest 38 inches. If you're interested here is a video from above the water on another hole that day. Trust me if both my lines are not going off for a stretch of 30 minutes I'm changing holes, changing bait. I never sit with no action all day.

https://youtu.be/qze8WLzL_48

Where do I do my fishing really is not that straight forward since I'm always trying to fish new locations. I live in BC now, so I fish all around Vancouver Island on the ocean/ lakes, Fish the Lower Mainland Rivers and lakes, Fish the Lakes around Merritt, Kamloops and the Okanagan area. I fish in the USA California, Idaho, Washington likely to start in Montana since I have family there now. Also get Back to Alberta once in a while and even been into Saskatchewan. So I fish where ever I can.
Have you fish near the Portland area in around month of August? I'm planning a camping trip with the family this summer to the Oregon coast, and 1 of the stop is right in Portland near the Columbia River, I hear the Salmon at that time can be crazy sometime. Since I won't be bringing my boat, it'll have to be shore/bank fishing, do you have any suggestion of where or what to do?... never really done "river" fishing before, i'm thinking there will be some current to content with...so any info or your opinion would be much appreciated. Where and kind of presentation I should be working with!?

Thanks..
Old 02-24-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha10oz View Post
Have you fish near the Portland area in around month of August? I'm planning a camping trip with the family this summer to the Oregon coast, and 1 of the stop is right in Portland near the Columbia River, I hear the Salmon at that time can be crazy sometime. Since I won't be bringing my boat, it'll have to be shore/bank fishing, do you have any suggestion of where or what to do?... never really done "river" fishing before, i'm thinking there will be some current to content with...so any info or your opinion would be much appreciated. Where and kind of presentation I should be working with!?

Thanks..
Sorry, I've never fished in Oregon. Haven't fished the columbia river down there and I'm not much of a river fisherman all together. I usually fish salmon out on the salt in a boat.

I'm sure there is a ton of information online for what to do when fishing there from the locals. Just make sure you have the right license and gear or they'll nail you.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Sorry, I've never fished in Oregon. Haven't fished the columbia river down there and I'm not much of a river fisherman all together. I usually fish salmon out on the salt in a boat.

I'm sure there is a ton of information online for what to do when fishing there from the locals. Just make sure you have the right license and gear or they'll nail you.
Thanks! I've been doing some online researches, but not much definite shore/bank location being posted. Seems like a lot of people want to keep their secret of where their photo/video was taken! Oh well, i'll ask when i get there, i just want to get info prior to going there, so i can have a head start!..
Old 02-28-2017, 12:00 PM

I agree 100% that you passed some oil or something from your hand to the bait.

Same thing happened to me while fishing salmon at Stewart Island, lucky for me a guide had me clean my hands and we got back into some fish.