Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2017, 09:36 AM

Default Cadomin and their mines

Hello I have a question about the boundaries of he mine, I believe that the laws are that nothing owns 5 meters back of a natural watershed. Does this include the gregg river that runs right through the mine in Cadomin's mine or are you not allowed on the river for the portion through the mine?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Default link

Here is the information I used for my hunt this last fall.

http://www.teck.com/operations/canad...public-access/
Old 02-08-2017, 05:14 PM

I see that, but if one were to hike to the headwaters of the gregg and hike back down to the highway, can you do that. The article says nothing about the watsheds
Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 PM

Nope, it's all under lease to the mines. You will be caught and charged if you try. Don't expect to be angling up there any time soon. No 5 metre rule in the province either. You're good to go downstream of the lease, watch out for grizz.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:13 AM

No ones going to stop you ..., but I don't think the fishing would be all that great I've heard it used to be good many years ago .
Old 02-12-2017, 09:25 AM

Classic forum post there, let's just encourage trespassing and poaching lol. Real classy..
Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
No ones going to stop you ..., but I don't think the fishing would be all that great I've heard it used to be good many years ago .
got a company tour of Cadomin in the 90s, and they talked about them moving the river to get at a coal seam then moving it back, rebanking,reseeding and restocking it. those fish where awfully tiny.

back then they where real fussy regarding trespassing. can't imagine that's changed much.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 02-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

This may help:

http://aep.alberta.ca/lands-forests/...oundaries.aspx
Old 02-12-2017, 11:25 AM

See if you look at that article by Alberta it says that most naturally occurring waterbeds are owned by the province, that would make them accessible to anyone, I think?
Old 02-12-2017, 12:26 PM

Not sure what would make Alberta any different than any other province. Throughout Canada, the Crown owns all waterways (oceans, rivers, streams, lakes, etc.) up to their high water mark. As Crown holdings they are public. There are some exceptions, where the Crown has relinquished its rights to a private citizen or corporation.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat View Post
Classic forum post there, let's just encourage trespassing and poaching lol. Real classy..
Sorry, I was trying to make the point that it's not worth fishing not trying to promote unlawfull acts.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:25 PM

Default High Water Mark

It's pretty sad that our provinces waters are only protected to the high water mark. If 2m out from of the high water mark was protected our streams, lakes and rivers would be much healthier.

This is a great article.
https://donmeredith.wordpress.com/20...s-fish-crisis/
Old 03-08-2017, 12:39 PM

I was told last summer you can walk or float or fish any creek or river even if it goes a cross private land but you must stay below high water line F&W gave me this info there is a few places that the raven runs that the land owner thinks he owns the water south 54 /761 area
Old 03-08-2017, 12:41 PM

not sure if the rules are the same there
Old 03-08-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
I was told last summer you can walk or float or fish any creek or river even if it goes a cross private land but you must stay below high water line F&W gave me this info there is a few places that the raven runs that the land owner thinks he owns the water south 54 /761 area
I'm assuming you're speaking about Mr. Larson, I've had an encounter with him and he's actually pleasant to deal with. Being hill/spring fed, the raven rarely exceeds its banks and when it does its extremely difficult to tell where exactly the high water line is. If you're accessing the raven entirely by river, then an angler might have some ground to stand on, but any time you're up on those grassy banks or bashing through the willows that is so necessary to access his "river", you are actually trespassing.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
I'm assuming you're speaking about Mr. Larson, I've had an encounter with him and he's actually pleasant to deal with. Being hill/spring fed, the raven rarely exceeds its banks and when it does its extremely difficult to tell where exactly the high water line is. If you're accessing the raven entirely by river, then an angler might have some ground to stand on, but any time you're up on those grassy banks or bashing through the willows that is so necessary to access his "river", you are actually trespassing.
I have lived in the area for 15 years and H Larson and the rest of the family are good friends .The area that I am talking about is straight south of the 761 to the bridge . east of the bridge you are taking your chance fishing there but west to the crown people are great. And I know what trespassing is thanks that is why I asked F&W to make sure that I was able to go in with out a problem
Old 03-08-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
....F&W gave me this info there is a few places that the raven runs that the land owner thinks he owns the water south 54 /761 area
Still huh, thought we resolved this matter. Soon time for me and my little buddy gopro to pay him another visit.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
Still huh, thought we resolved this matter. Soon time for me and my little buddy gopro to pay him another visit.
you must know this fella he gets crazier every year
Old 03-08-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Not true, there is a local that actually does own the river bed on Prairie Creek. Gets mighty testy with the fly fishermen trespassing on the river. And this as well has been confirmed with the county and the fish and wildlife...
There are a few other cases like this in Alberta as well.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:40 PM

good to know thanks
Old 03-08-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Not true, there is a local that actually does own the river bed on Prairie Creek. Gets mighty testy with the fly fishermen trespassing on the river. And this as well has been confirmed with the county and the fish and wildlife...
Where,whom?
Old 03-09-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post

The exception is if the river starts on there property
Law allows so much from river calling it high water that the land owner doesn't own. They don't want u to own the water as then u could do what ever u want with it on other hand they can do what ever they want with it
As far as raven as long as u stay outside the buck for wildlife fence u r ok
Old 03-09-2017, 05:22 AM

Depending on when the land was purchased and what title was provided will determine ownership. Not to say the crown can't claim it, but often they won't. There are titles in Calgary that reflect the high water line, some differ. Parts of the jumpingpound are titled to the adjacent owners based on ownership that has transferred through family for over 100 years.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:44 PM

You can't own water anymore. We got ours taken away 10 years back and wasn't much we could say or do. At one point you could but they are just trying to keep there land private