Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 11:56 AM

Default Sunglasses lense colours

I know this has come up before, but be darned if I can find it.
What is the consensus on sunglass lense colour for sight fishing streams?
Has anyone tried using those HD glasses?
Old 02-01-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
I know this has come up before, but be darned if I can find it.
What is the consensus on sunglass lense colour for sight fishing streams?
Has anyone tried using those HD glasses?
Amber polarized glasses are the best for freestone streams that I've found. Regardless of the colour, polarized or not will make the largest difference.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Chromapop Polarchromic Ignitors
Old 02-01-2017, 01:38 PM

Brown and polarized.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2017, 01:48 PM

As one ages, the eye needs more light to get the same resolution. Nothing we can do about it. The darker the lens colour in our sunglasses, the harder it is for us to see. I have 2 pairs of Maui Jim's, very expensive and totally worth it. I have a dark grey lens in one pair for bright sunny days and one pair in amber for overcast days, or for fishing the early and late hours. The one commonality between the 2 (and the many other glasses I have used over the years), they are polarized. Yes, they let me see fish holding in streams, but even more important to me, they let me see the bottom structure where I am wading and have saved me from very many slips, trips and dunkings over the years.

HD? Good marketing to the gullible. Use your brain, the world is in HD, it doesn't get any HDer!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
As one ages, the eye needs more light to get the same resolution. Nothing we can do about it. The darker the lens colour in our sunglasses, the harder it is for us to see. I have 2 pairs of Maui Jim's, very expensive and totally worth it. I have a dark grey lens in one pair for bright sunny days and one pair in amber for overcast days, or for fishing the early and late hours. The one commonality between the 2 (and the many other glasses I have used over the years), they are polarized. Yes, they let me see fish holding in streams, but even more important to me, they let me see the bottom structure where I am wading and have saved me from very many slips, trips and dunkings over the years.

HD? Good marketing to the gullible. Use your brain, the world is in HD, it doesn't get any HDer!
This one,,,,, I gotta agree totally with you!!! Two pair is the way to go if you can afford it,,, gray/ copper/ rose for the bright days... and amber for the cloudy and low light time of days.

But, if I had to pick just one pair I would go with amber.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:52 PM

I have a green tint pair of Maui Jim polarized Rx glasses that I really like. They provide nice contrast, but aren't overly dark. I have also used a brown tint and like them as well.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:08 PM

I have bronze Maui Jim glass lenses but found them too dark in shady areas. I found a lot of the times I'd have them on my head to see the darker spots on a stream. Last year I went with a pinkish chromapop igniter lens. Great in sun and good for shaded areas too. Next lens will be a Smith, glass, amber igniter. If your a guide or emergency services, Smith offers a 50% off pro deal.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:27 PM

I've tried quite a few different lens tints. I've found the most versatile "all around" polarized lens are rose colored. My current lenses are the Oakley VR28 Iridium polarized. They are excellent fishing glasses. Bronze is fairly versatile also.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:29 PM

Thanks guys. As always, you've come through big time. While I'm
here in California I'll pick up a couple pairs. (if Trump says it's Okay)
Old 02-01-2017, 06:49 PM

By the way italk2u...If you are interested in the 50% Emergency Services deal from Smith I might know a guy ...Im thinking a fair trade would be a day tagging along to one of your special Brown Trout haunts. Haha, hope your having a good vacation in California.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:31 PM

I'm still waiting for an invite to your secret Trout pond in your backyard. LOL
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
I'm still waiting for an invite to your secret Trout pond in your backyard. LOL
Hmm, you might be waiting awhile. It's been a few years since I moved out of that area. The last time I was there things were quite dismal with a ratio of 1 trout to 20 or so 4" perch. Sad.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Rrgardlesss of colour, make sure the polarization has decent quality incidence. Believe it or not, in this case, you do get what you pay for. Pm if you have more questions
Old 02-02-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Rrgardlesss of colour, make sure the polarization has decent quality incidence. Believe it or not, in this case, you do get what you pay for. Pm if you have more questions
X2
Old 02-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Also don't let brand names market to you by saying something is more revolutionary. It usually is not and you pay more for fancy names. So what I mean is buy good quality but don't succumb to marketing schemes like "super colour density". So many people do. Stay off the brandwagon and realize that polarization is just the elimination of a certain waveset of radiation reaching your eyes 😂😂
Old 02-04-2017, 08:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Randolph Engineering. They are available at Dr. Nolt in Edmonton.

http://www.randolphusa.com/
Old 02-04-2017, 11:23 AM

Interesting Opa but nowhere on their site could find a single reference to them being polarized. If they aren't they are a waste of time on the water.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:58 PM

Smith chromapop!! Amazing!!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
Interesting Opa but nowhere on their site could find a single reference to them being polarized. If they aren't they are a waste of time on the water.
RANDOLPH RANGER INTRODUCES POLARIZED TINTED LENSES
allsport-polarized-lens-seriesRANDOLPH, MA – Randolph Engineering, famed for its Ranger Shooting Systems, is pleased to announce its release of the ALLSport™ Polarized Lens Series for the Ranger XLW™ frame. Now target shooters and hunters can go from the field to the water using the same eyewear, and change their lenses to accommodate every weather condition and activity.
“I have the fortunate task of being one of the testers for new products here”, explains Rick Waszkiewicz, Sales Manager for Randolph. “So, of course I had to evaluate the new polarized lens series while fishing on my canoe. I thoroughly enjoyed the advantage of fishing during a bright sunny day with a nice, dark, polarized lens, then switching to a lighter polarized lens at the tree line and picking up fish on the flats. Where one would need two pairs of sunglasses to do this previously, I only had to switch my lenses. The wrap on the XLW is perfect for blocking side glare from the water’s surface as well as direct sunlight. As an avid outdoor enthusiast, I can
now use my one frame for everything under the sun.”
The new ALLSport™ Polarized Lenses will protect your eyes from impact, distracting glare, harmful UV rays, and much more while improving contrast and reducing eye fatigue. They also have an oleophobic coating which resists oil and water to keep your lenses spotless while enjoying your sport of choice.
The series includes the following tints:
Copper Polarized
This lens blocks undesirable blue light while improving contrast in other colors. Excellent for shooting targets against a green background on a bright day. Also great for sight fishing.
Moss Yellow Polarized
This is an excellent lens for dusk and dawn, overcast conditions, or in shadowed areas. Not recommended for bright conditions. Works well for hunting, target shooting, fishing and cycling.
Gray Polarized
This general purpose lens works well in a variety of conditions. It offers absolute true color reception without distortion, and can be worn all day with minimum eye fatigue. It’s ideal for maximum glare reduction in intense sunlight. Works well for driving.
All Randolph Ranger lenses are made with superior quality polycarbonate for 100% UV protection, outstanding optical clarity, and high impact resistance. Randolph feels so strongly about the quality of their frames, they’ll repair or replace any broken solder joint for the lifetime of the product (assuming normal use).
Old 02-04-2017, 03:34 PM

thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 11:21 PM

Amber, amber, amber. Did I mention amber?