Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Boats: What is the next step up from wood deck and carpet?

My family will be purchasing our very first boat to use at the summer lake cottage. We hope to use it for relaxing in calm waters, wake boarding and fishing. As of this moment, we are looking to get the Bayliner 175 Bowrider, however, it appears to have a wooden deck covered with carpet. Without a doubt in my mind, this boat will get soaked hence why I'm looking for something better. The last thing I want is for the wooden deck to rot and ruin my experience owning my first boat.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
EDIT: I only referenced this boat because this is the style of boat we're looking to purchase. Other styles include pontoon and deck boats.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:00 PM
Banned

I bet the deck will out last three motor lol. It's made of marine grade plywood. Wood and vinyl wrap are your next step up but still wood.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:46 PM

As long as the floor has vents for moisture to escape you should be OK.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancedan View Post
As long as the floor has vents for moisture to escape you should be OK.
Do you mind linking me to a picture? This is my first time buying a boat. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 05:48 AM

Does the boat not come with a boat cover !
Have to treat your boat like you would with a convertible car.
What year is it ?
Places to check is the hatch on the floor wear paddles are stored and the engine area.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:37 AM

Boats are designed and made to take water into account. I have a 27 yr old boat, fish in it all the time all weather, the floor gets absolutely soaked, but still strong as ever. I wouldn't worry about
Old 01-24-2017, 08:28 AM

Are you sure on the wooden floor?

I'd be surprised if a fiberglass boat had a wooden floor. The top caps are generally molded in a single piece and then carpeted. My parent's 1990 Bayliner is a carpeted fiberglass floor.

Avoiding wood on older used boats isn't a bad idea though, especially in transoms, floors, etc... No matter how well it's made or vented, the potential is definitely there for it to rot and leave you staring at a very expensive repair bill. Most new boats, whether fiberglass or aluminum, have gone to all composite construction due to issues with wood deteriorating.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post

I'd be surprised if a fiberglass boat had a wooden floor. The top caps are generally molded in a single piece and then carpeted. My parent's 1990 Bayliner is a carpeted fiberglass floor.

Avoiding wood on older used boats isn't a bad idea though, especially in transoms, floors, etc... No matter how well it's made or vented, the potential is definitely there for it to rot and leave you staring at a very expensive repair bill. Most new boats, whether fiberglass or aluminum, have gone to all composite construction due to issues with wood deteriorating.
My understanding is the deck is wood (cost saving). It turns out they also have a fibreglass liner option for extra cash
Old 01-24-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post

I am pretty sure boats are still made with wood floors for the structure, if not wood then they use a type of structural foam material, same with the transom.

Marine Grade plywood is just ply wood with fewer defects (knots) and a different glue, allowing it to last longer in humid environments.

This boat floor here, does not have any vents, but it does have an access door (the round black thing) in the center of the floor for moisture to escape when storing etc. and with the center floor storage moisture can escape through there.

If the vents were not there moisture would not be able to escape and 10, 15, 20 years later the wood stringers, ribs, and floor would rot.

A floor may be completely encapsulated with a resin providing even greater sealing and longevity. An epoxy resin would be best as it absorbs 0 water, while a polyester based resin does very slowly absorb water.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancedan View Post
I am pretty sure boats are still made with wood floors for the structure, if not wood then they use a type of structural foam material, same with the transom.

Marine Grade plywood is just ply wood with fewer defects (knots) and a different glue, allowing it to last longer in humid environments.

This boat floor here, does not have any vents, but it does have an access door (the round black thing) in the center of the floor for moisture to escape when storing etc. and with the center floor storage moisture can escape through there.

If the vents were not there moisture would not be able to escape and 10, 15, 20 years later the wood stringers, ribs, and floor would rot.

A floor may be completely encapsulated with a resin providing even greater sealing and longevity. An epoxy resin would be best as it absorbs 0 water, while a polyester based resin does very slowly absorb water.
The boat in the picture looks like its from the 80's or earlier. I don't doubt they had wooden floors at that time.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert on how most runabout type boats are built these days. My comment was based on my knowledge of modern fiberglass fishing boats. All of the better quality ones that I'm aware of (Warrior, Ranger, Lund, YarCraft, etc...) do not use wood as the flooring or in their interior structural construction. In fact, most are 100% wood free. The entire top cap (everything above the rub rail including all of the interior and floor) is molded as a single piece of fiberglass and bonded to the hull. Hull bracing is done with fiberglass and composites.

Do your due diligence and make sure the floor and any other wooden components are solid. The cost to repair or replace them is going to be sky high.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:26 AM

I had a couple bayliners, a 175 3.0 185 4.3

Both had wooden floor and got soaked from may-sept. Zero issues.

But you may want to consider a pontoon boat for the family. We absolutely love ours. Get a biggin engine and you'll have too much fun!