Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 12:27 PM

Default Whitecourt Area

Hey guys! Been reading this forum for years but only recently decided I should contribute (or at least join the discussion!). Seems only fair i try as I've gotten so much advice and direction from the members here. For that I thank you all!

I recently moved to Whitecourt and have been doing my best to explore and get to know the area. Ive heard all about Carson and mcloed lakes though I haven't stopped in to try them just yet. We have a trip planned to wabamum this weekend and another for lesser slave when we can find an extra day. I love fishing and obviously I have no problem driving a ways to feed that addiction.

That being said I've heard plenty of locals talk about some stellar fishing right on the Athabasca river running through town. They also mention it's a very tough river to fish; if you don't know where to go you might as well be fishing in the bathtub.

I hesitate to ask for spots and specifics as I know the value they hold to us passionate anglers. Instead I figure there might be a couple amongst you who might be able to be bribed with a good time!

If anyone is willing, Id love to take you out fishing! Beer bait and gear will all be supplied (hopefully you have your own rods) while you teach me a few spots. I dream of having an afterwork spot or two within 20 minutes of town that I can drop a line into a few times a week.

For those of you who don't want another obnoxious foreigner on yours spots,believe me I do understand. Even some advice to help us find our own is golden! If it makes any difference we practice c&r almost exclusively save for a dinners worth of Wally on the rare occasion. We are very respectful of where we fish, as we expect those fishing around our cabins to be The only thing left behind is holes and tape measures.

Thanks for your time and good luck out there! Cheers

Chris

Sent from my T06 using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 12:48 PM
Banned

Not sure, but I think that river us closed for the winter season, but in the summer and fall there is some excellent grayling fishing 50m up stream from the bridge on Highway 947, white jig just before sunset, haven't been there for about 8 years though.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Right you are! If I am reading the regs for the right part of the river then it is in fact closed until May!

Old 01-20-2017, 04:02 PM

Default Hey man I'm from whitecourt

I'm from whitecourt and I'm a fishaholic..... I know a lot of spots around here and have caught fish within the town limits it is tricky tho and only at certain times of the year, within 20 mins of town there a lot of places to fish between the rivers and the lakes . As rule of thumb the fishing generally gets better the further from Edmonton you are. Open water season is a lot a better fishing around here especially if you fly fish. Grayling whitefish bull trout and a native rainbow trout live not too far from here and some of my best days fishing have been fly fishing for these species the action can be intense and some days unreal. Lesser slave is good bet but make sure you have a 4x4 of some sort or atv it's a big lake and can sometimes be tough to access bad unexpected thing can always happen. If you need any specifics pm me good luck out there !
Old 01-21-2017, 01:58 PM

Many locals fish where the McLeod river flows into the Athabasca. You won't need a 4X4.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:58 PM

Thanks again for the input boys.. going to try and find a spot open for fishing on the Athabasca this week.

Wabamun yesterday was a great time! Brought up 13 or more pike, only a few of which were small, the rest decently sized!

We did catch one beast for the day but my scale and tape were too far away and I couldn't justify keeping it out of water any longer!

Definitely a repeat spot.

I was the first one on the lake Sunday morning and choose my spot based on bottom structure which apparently was a distance from the crowds. As the sun came out I noticed about 20 trucks/shack all within a 100 m radius of each other off the very point of fallis.

Guess I know where the honey hole is now!

Old 01-23-2017, 01:39 PM

Congrats ... I wonder if there are any 20lb+ pike left in there I know their used to be a lot. Check the regs on the river only stretch open is inside the national park I think.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:58 PM

Looks like Jasper is the only slice of river open until March!

Old 01-24-2017, 05:34 AM

Hmmm, I was the 2nd truck on at Fallis Sunday morning (white Ford 3/4 ton) and went to the point. Was just the otherside of the big bunch of vehicles furthest right in the picture. Fishing was slow at best. Whites sure look healthy on the cam.

Next trip to Wab will be to a different spot and see how it fishes.

Also be exploring a couple of more lakes north of Whitecourt as well.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:13 AM

Athabasca River between Sec. Rd. 658 (near Whitecourt) and Sec. Rd. 813 (near Athabasca)
June 1 to Oct. 31 – Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Arctic Grayling limit 0; Bait is allowed in river only.
Nov. 1 to May 31 – CLOSED

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Athabasca River between Sec. Rd. 658 (near Whitecourt) and Sec. Rd. 813 (near Athabasca)
June 1 to Oct. 31 – Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Arctic Grayling limit 0; Bait is allowed in river only.
Nov. 1 to May 31 – CLOSED
I don't think that's the section running through town. I believe "ES3Athabasca River*(upstream of Sec. Rd. 658 (near Whitecourt) to Jasper National Park Boundary - Mainstem river including Brule Lake)" is the portion in question. Incidentally still closed from November 1st to March 31st.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:34 AM

You'd kills yourself if u tried fishing the athab in town right now
Old 01-24-2017, 09:49 AM

Fish so big they'd pull you through the ice?

Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 PM

Haha yeah ....