Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 12:53 PM

Default Ice fishing Pine coulee

I was out at Pine Coulee on the weekend at did not have any luck other than one small pike. Fished mid morning until about 1 pm and the south end by the dam.
I noticed about 20 people fishing by the bridge but they did not seem to be having any luck either.
I find it great fishing for the kids in the summer but not in the winter.
Any thoughts?
Old 02-22-2017, 01:37 PM

I've found that Walleye during the winter are more apprehensive and slower, as well as more spread out in the lake. Therefore harder to catch than in the winter. They'll typically hang out in the deepest, most comfortable areas when they're not feeding, and then move into shallower areas to feed. Often along drop offs or weed lines.

You could try by where the boat docks are as that area has many during the summer, but again, that's during the warm season.

My advice would be to increase your mobility, look for drop offs and slow your presentation. I've had multiple walleye this season come and take my hook and then take FOREVER to actually get the bait/hook in their mouths so I could set the hook. And don't expect summer numbers. You can get them, but far less reliably in winter as the fish feed less.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:26 PM

In my experience there are far better places to ice fish in the area. I have spent too many full days on pine for a couple of fish.
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 02-23-2017, 04:30 PM

I've never been to Pine personally but I was out to Burntstick Lake twice this month and Gull Lake once and it was VERY slow for my buddies and I. Not too sure what's going on with the fishes!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
I've found that Walleye during the winter are more apprehensive and slower, as well as more spread out in the lake. Therefore harder to catch than in the winter. They'll typically hang out in the deepest, most comfortable areas when they're not feeding, and then move into shallower areas to feed. Often along drop offs or weed lines.

You could try by where the boat docks are as that area has many during the summer, but again, that's during the warm season.

My advice would be to increase your mobility, look for drop offs and slow your presentation. I've had multiple walleye this season come and take my hook and then take FOREVER to actually get the bait/hook in their mouths so I could set the hook. And don't expect summer numbers. You can get them, but far less reliably in winter as the fish feed less.
I think you hit the magic nail on the head when you described "in an area where they feed". If they are in an area to eat (often like in the shallows at low light) they can be crazy aggressive.

Every once in a while, during the middle of the day, they are in the mood, in deeper water adjacent to structure.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM

slender spoon drop offs clear patch of sand or gravel in weed bed. tip with piece of minnow