Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 02:18 PM

Default Lake Sundance, Calgary, Residents Family perch fishing derby

Open to residents of Lake Sundance community and up to two guests. Call your local resident today!

For those on the forum living in the community please come out and enjoy the day. Hotdogs and hot choc at lunch is provided. Free registration at the desk inside the lodge. You can bring up to two guests per household and they can be entered into the derby however you must be with your guests while they are in the park.

Saturday weather not looking to bad. One year we had a blizzard. Most ever showed up that day which is funny. Last year it started pouring rain at 1:30 pm.

Perch are not big (size range 5-7 inches) but they are very plentiful. Catching 200 in a day is not impossible. I wander around the ice making sure people know what they are doing.

The perch are illegally introduced and breed out of control which causes them to stunt and stop growing at 6-7 inches. We can't control them. I use this derby to get families and kids out and teach new anglers how to catch fish. I buy hundreds of perch jigs myself to give away to kids during the year to make sure they can catch perch. Watching kids catch their first ever fish is priceless. Seeing proud parents taking photos brings a smile to my face.

We also get competitive adults wanting to square off and try and win a trophy. This is all for fun. I have prizes...a ice fishing rod here...a small spinning reel there. Good to help someone leave feeling they accomplished a victory for sure. No one leaves with a truck.

So here's hoping for a great day with lots of smiles!

Fishing rules apply
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-23-2017, 10:58 AM

Unrelated, but I can't help myself.

It's about the quote in your sig attributed to Mark Twain. There's actually no evidence he ever said or wrote that, even though it is commonly attributed to him by the interwebs.

I still think it's a good quote. A number of folks actually think it's a simplification of the below quote from Tolstoy:

“The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of a doubt, what is laid before him.”

Clearly doesn't slide off the tongue as easily though eh? I had to read and re-read it a few times before it sunk in.

Anyways. Enjoy your perch derby. Hopefully I haven't ticked you off with my pedantry.