Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-19-2016, 03:31 PM

Default Ideas for a DIY archery range

I am in the process of planning a 3-D archery range and I am looking for some ideas. If you were to build your own archery range what are some of the must haves you would include? ie Raised platform to simulate shooting from a treestand, bow hangers and arrow storage at each station etc.

The area (3-4 acres) does not have any trees yet, some will be planted for this specifically and currently I have about 10 3-d targets of various types and will look at ranges of 10 to 80+yds

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:52 PM

Moving/pop-up targets
Old 12-19-2016, 05:57 PM

The idea you mentioned was setting up a couple tree stands, or blinds to shoot out of from alternate positions is an awesome idea. It gives the range a degree of difficulty and added challenge. Might be a little more work but if its something that can be moved easily you can always shake things up and keep it fun!
Old 12-19-2016, 06:53 PM

Default Range

Uphill and downhill shots, shots over ravines, shots over obstacles that obscure the target,shots through branches, long shots, short shots....basically hunting scenarios
Old 12-19-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Uphill and downhill shots, shots over ravines, shots over obstacles that obscure the target,shots through branches, long shots, short shots....basically hunting scenarios
^This. Let's bring 3D back to grass roots and what it was developed for - hunting practice. Calgarychef forgot to mention - unmarked yardages.

J.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:03 AM

Default Practice

And absolutely...unmarked yardages
Old 12-20-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
^This. Let's bring 3D back to grass roots and what it was developed for - hunting practice. Calgarychef forgot to mention - unmarked yardages.

J.
Sounds like you are describing the ABA Bowhunter Challenge, final shoot held in August...just before hunting season, hunting rigs, lots of fun!

LC
Old 12-20-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Sounds like you are describing the ABA Bowhunter Challenge, final shoot held in August...just before hunting season, hunting rigs, lots of fun!

LC
Actually, I'm describing the 3Ds of yesteryear when I first started archery.... Back when you could find most groups didn't care about scores and *usually* didn't carry score sheets at all. Some of the best shoots I've ever been to were to entertain each other by playing "pick-a-spot" and other games to challenge yourselves and others to real hunting scenarios.

Pick-a-spot had the first shooter (rotating so everyone became a first shooter) choose where the entire group was going to shoot from.... I learned to use a sight pin looking through the bottom of a 4" hole in the bush, knowing that the arrow would arc up and fly through the hole to come back down and hit the target where my pin was.... Or my other favorite on pick-a-spot was to stand behind a tree and bend around it, maintaining proper form so that left/right misses did not occur..... or better still, having the 12 year old pick a spot that forced the adults to kneel / crouch down to shoot. There was never any yardages marked and if you started with 4 arrows and still had one left to finish off the day, then you won!

But then again, the last time I suggested something fun like this, it was poo-pooed for the lack of a score sheet.... whatever.

If this is what the ABA Bowhunter Challenge is like in August (and it's not held somewhere that is a 5 hour drive) then yeah! I'd love to shoot it! And if we could have 2, 3 or 4 more shoots like it throughout the year that would be ever better! SABA used to put on one in the Porcupines that I only managed to go to once and absolutely loved it because it was tough. Made me shoot better rather than a flat, level clear cut shooting lane out to a clearly visible target with grass mowed down for a 10 foot radius around said target.

J.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:05 PM

I definitely like the unmarked yardages and this will be set up to simulate hunting situations for sure.

Unfortunately I don't have any ravines on the property but there are some elevation changes.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Actually, I'm describing the 3Ds of yesteryear when I first started archery.... Back when you could find most groups didn't care about scores and *usually* didn't carry score sheets at all. Some of the best shoots I've ever been to were to entertain each other by playing "pick-a-spot" and other games to challenge yourselves and others to real hunting scenarios.

Pick-a-spot had the first shooter (rotating so everyone became a first shooter) choose where the entire group was going to shoot from.... I learned to use a sight pin looking through the bottom of a 4" hole in the bush, knowing that the arrow would arc up and fly through the hole to come back down and hit the target where my pin was.... Or my other favorite on pick-a-spot was to stand behind a tree and bend around it, maintaining proper form so that left/right misses did not occur..... or better still, having the 12 year old pick a spot that forced the adults to kneel / crouch down to shoot. There was never any yardages marked and if you started with 4 arrows and still had one left to finish off the day, then you won!

But then again, the last time I suggested something fun like this, it was poo-pooed for the lack of a score sheet.... whatever.

If this is what the ABA Bowhunter Challenge is like in August (and it's not held somewhere that is a 5 hour drive) then yeah! I'd love to shoot it! And if we could have 2, 3 or 4 more shoots like it throughout the year that would be ever better! SABA used to put on one in the Porcupines that I only managed to go to once and absolutely loved it because it was tough. Made me shoot better rather than a flat, level clear cut shooting lane out to a clearly visible target with grass mowed down for a 10 foot radius around said target.

J.
Absolutely, we have shots from all sorts of field positions, we have string walks, elevated platforms, ground blinds, shoot off a log, shoot kneeling, sitting....scoring optional, all participants the past 2 years have walked away with prizes and for the competitive ones we have a buckle shoot off.

Something for everyone....search through the old threads for more info.

LC