Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-20-2024, 08:52 PM

Default 7 Fell Today

The last week of calling has been relatively slow for me. I didn’t hunt yesterday, so I took the opportunity to do some scouting and chat with a few landowners I hadn’t asked for permission yet this year. I saw more coyotes just driving around yesterday afternoon than I’ve seen all winter. Looked like they were finally turning on again & I would be out.

Stand #1

Part of permission was on some contiguous pasture with several blocks of bush. There are six quarters, all in a block and my plan was to sort of zig zag my way to three spots. It is solid bush to the east of this pasture and from the looks of things, several coyotes were frequenting the area. I nestled myself into the shade on a hillside and got to calling. I had ran through an entire sequence using my mouth calls. I even stayed in the spot longer than I normally do. I checked my phone and saw that I had been calling for 30min. Figuring it was a bust, I started getting my gear together. I had just stood up and saw a coyote crest a ride about 60 yards away. Imagine my surprise as I dropped to my knees and my quarry did not see me, continuing to close. It dropped out of sight and I knew it would wind me soon. Had I been a little more forward thinking, an aggressive move with the shotgun would have worked marvellously. It winded me and was doing Mach Chicken when it came into view. I missed my first shot with the rifle but, connected my second; seeing it go cartwheeling into the trees downhill. Neither of those shots felt good and a sinking feeling crept over me that it could be, one of those days. Keeping with my initial intentions of clean pictures, I will not be posting this one. Suffice to say, it was a head shot and we will leave it at that.

Stand #2

Snaking and weaving my way along, I selected a brush pile about 700 yards from where I had first called. I opted to set up the caller for this situation. I opened with some woodpecker and then blue jay distress. I’d seen a set of fox prints on the way in so I fired out a series of fox distress. A minute or so after muting, I saw a coyote crest a hill about 225-250 yards away. It sat down and was surveying the scene. Letting loose with a coax, it sprang into action immediately and came running. As it dropped out of sight, I readied the shotgun for it to reappear. Its head came into view and I gave one flip of the decoy. That was all it took to sell the ruse. It closed to within mere feet of the caller in full stalk mode. The shotgun rocked in my arms and my second coyote of the morning folded.

Stand #3

This one is another hilltop set up. About a half mile from the second set. It generally plays out the same way for whatever reason and I get some shotgun action. This morning proved to be no different. One series on the mouth call had a gaggle of Magpies squawking in the tree tops of the fence line. Watching several dropping towards something unseen in the trees, I gave a soft “t’waaa t’waa t’wa”. Almost immediately, I saw a coyote and then another, about 70 yards away. Both were peering through the grass and sparse trees in my direction. With a couple soft lip squeaks, they came. One was coming on a string and the other, still closing but was out of shotgun range. With the lead coyote only 20 yards away, it was time. Raising up, the closest coyote half floored me by just standing there and receiving the load of shot to the face. Dropping the shotgun and mounting the rifle, me earlier fears were confirmed as I proceeded to whiff two running shots. “Alright. So the runners aren’t in trouble yet today.” I collected the Bitch for a photo and commenced my 1.5mile hike back to the truck.

Stand #4

Hadn’t called this spot yet this winter. I was legitimately surprised to get blanked here. Not even a Magpie showed.

A quick stop for fuel and I was off to some new permission. I’d called here many times but, that land had changed hands and I’d only recently procured the digits of the new owners. They were gracious enough to grant access without ever meeting them.

Stand #5

I’m not happy over how this went down. I selected a stand. Got all set up and then, second guessed my choice. Gathered my gear and moved another 600 yards further in. Turns out, my initial selection was where I should have stayed. I had a pair coming to pup distress and they started swinging to get downwind at approximately 175 yards. Several “WOOO”s later, they were not stopping. “Perfect. Your running shooting has been so on point this morning. This should be good.” I knew I had missed as soon as I squeezed. Trying another poke, the result was the same. “YOU SUCK TODAY”. End of story.

Stand #6

I was going to head across the road and call about a mile away from where I had just called. That pair had ran that way but I cared not. There’s a good network of willow, slough bottoms and poplar bluffs. I’ve enjoyed much success there over the years. This proved true once more. Getting tucked in my usual spot, I sent another round of fox distress into the surrounding area. Within 2 minutes, I had a pair looking my direction at about 200 yards. With the wide swings downwind becoming a more regular thing as of late, I moved myself with the rifle as they went out of sight for a moment. Reappearing at 130 yards, I thought I was placing my crosshairs on the Tom. It was such a nice, big coyote. It dwarfed its partner. A resounding BOOM! CHOP! Greeted my ears as the coyote dropped right where it stood. I never even shot at its fleeing mate. Confidence just wasn’t there. I don’t know if I’ve ever killed such a large female. Only one other comes to mind and she wasn’t even close to the same quality of fur.

Stand #7

Last week, I had a set interrupted by a work crew while I had a coyote working in. I quite like this spot. It’s a quick and easy walk through the pasture. There’s a nice little patch of buck brush to set up in and the snow always drifts into this spot in a way that, it almost creates a lounger. Anyway, I had not spooked the coyote so I wasn’t worried about a non response. Tucked into my lounger and the caller out in front, I let a soft and short series of rabbit distress echo through the bluffs and hollows. I was prepared to stay quiet for up to 10 minutes. Volume and lots of calling has never proved to be of any benefit here. At the 2.5 minute mark, I spied ears in the exact same spot that last weeks coyote had appeared. I then saw another and another. All three were out of the trees and exposed at about 120yards. One being a real toad of a coyote. My pulse quickened at the thought of taking a Tom of this stature. I started coaxing but none were really buying it. One of them had gone for a little walkabout and was now about 200 yards away. The two closer coyotes turned and walked back into the bush after our several minute stalemate. “NOOO!” Thinking this may not go my way, I opted to get the rifle on Dundee. There was a little bit of buck brush in between us but, I figured I could keep the bullet above the stems and still kill it. BOOM! I heard impact but it didn’t sound normal. The coyote disappeared. I fired up some pup distress and dying coyote. Cycling back and forth between the two rapidly. I saw a coyote emerge again from the brush. It was looking intently in the direction of where the first coyote had been. I immediately thought I had wounded it and it was moving or thrashing. I found it in my sight picture and settled the crosshair on the shoulder. BOOM! CHOP! And I watched the coyote tip over in my scope. I decided to try a fight sound. It was almost immediately answered with a challenge. “The Alpha! It’s the toad! I know it is”! I started cycling between fights and pup distress. Maybe 15-20 of one sound and then the other. I heard a very charged up challenge west of me. Fired up Pound Town and what a sight. This Herculean Cream Puff of a ticked off coyote comes tearing around the edge of the trees. He looked incredible. Leaps, piles on the brakes and launches into a frenzied challenge. I almost didn’t want to shoot and just enjoy the show but, I was there for business. BOOM! CHOP! As the V-Max tucked into the pocket. “WHAT A SET”! I collected the two in the open which were both big coyotes but the one Tom, geeze. What a specimen. I wish I had a scale. He was noticeably heavier than anything I’ve shot in some time. I walked over for the first I had shot at and found blood sprays. “Crap.” Three quarters of a mile later, I found where it had expired. It was pretty graphic to say the least. I didn’t even try to take a picture. Just glad it wasn’t suffering. I humped on it to get back and snap a photo of the other two. Numbers 52 &53.

Pretty action packed day. Really disappointed in my rifle work though. Very frustrating days when you can’t hit the runners. Regardless, it was very nice to finish the day with a show like I received, complete with a triple. Even if it wasn’t in a fashion that I’d prefer.

I might take off up north after wolves for a few days. Maybe. See how I’m feeling after tomorrow. I dunno. Hope you enjoy the read and pics and best of luck if you’re out there doing the same as myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Big Lou; 02-20-2024 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:56 PM

Forgot to add this pic. I’m just shy of 6’4” for reference. Big Tom’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2024, 09:20 PM

Lou you really are a master. You rank right up there with the best. Congrats.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:12 AM

Way to go Lou, another great day and another great write up, as for the runners today well sometimes that just happens, it aint your day

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Way to go Lou, another great day and another great write up, as for the runners today well sometimes that just happens, it aint your day
Many thanks fellas.

Geeze Louise Ed. I hope you get over your bug sooner than later. It’s really got ahold of you.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Agreed.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:48 PM

Love the writeups and grey shooting! I'm amazed you weren't able to get callbacks on the males after dumping the females. This time of year I have great luck calling the horny buggers back lol.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-21-2024, 07:53 PM

You are truly a breath of fresh air. Just write-up after write-up with awesome field pics to boot. Thanks!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-21-2024, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Agreed.
You guys are too much. Thank you Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Love the writeups and grey shooting! I'm amazed you weren't able to get callbacks on the males after dumping the females. This time of year I have great luck calling the horny buggers back lol.
Thank you Sir. That makes two of us Tikka. I was ready for some “pump the brakes” standers at the very least. Just that 3-4 second stop and look back but, it didn't happen. Something was off with my Mojo is all I can figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
You are truly a breath of fresh air. Just write-up after write-up with awesome field pics to boot. Thanks!
Happy to be well received Roper. Appreciate the kind words. If work wasn’t so slow, I wouldn’t have the time but, seeing as I do; I’ll keep it going until I run out of steam. Or bullets. Whichever comes first.

Last edited by Big Lou; 02-21-2024 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:52 PM

Quote:
X3 .Great write up,very nice pics .Congrats many times over .

Cheers
JD
Old 02-21-2024, 09:29 PM

Lou, where do we send the Coyote Smashing trophy to? You win.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-22-2024, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Many thanks fellas.

Geeze Louise Ed. I hope you get over your bug sooner than later. It’s really got ahold of you.
Thanks Lou, yes it's been dragging on, thought I was out of the woods a few times in the past 3 weeks but it snuck up and smacked me again, maybe the coyote god's are mad at me.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
X3 .Great write up,very nice pics .Congrats many times over .

Cheers
JD
Thanks JD. I’ll keep em coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Lou, where do we send the Coyote Smashing trophy to? You win.
Haha! No trophy needed TC. Hammering these buggers and getting some good photos is enough. I am however going to do things differently next year if prices remain in the tank. I’ve always wanted a genuine Mushers Parka. Something of that ilk. I can think of no finer use in the harvesting of your own fur than something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Thanks Lou, yes it's been dragging on, thought I was out of the woods a few times in the past 3 weeks but it snuck up and smacked me again, maybe the coyote god's are mad at me.
Hopefully you’re good to go by the weekend. This big temp swing is going to produce a couple really good days. Especially after the windier days. Could be real good action.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:35 PM

I’ll let you know how many $50 bills you left lying in the field after I get my results back from next months Fur Harvester Auction. They all looked like pretty decent coyotes from your pictures.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:38 PM

A coyote ninja for sure.....:charact er0110:
Old 02-22-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
I’ll let you know how many $50 bills you left lying in the field after I get my results back from next months Fur Harvester Auction. They all looked like pretty decent coyotes from your pictures.
I’m genuinely interested to know. You’re right. There’s only been 4 that I wouldn’t have kept.