Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
correct ! Asked a lawyer he said true . But no judge would convict. It's a law used to get suspects in the detachment. Lawyer said judge would only consider it if was wielded inappropriately but could be charged!
You would not be charged for carrying it if you were only hunting ,
There are a pike of members here who like to embellish details and spread fear ,
If folders were actually now illegal and every sportsman was now a criminal half the gas stations and all the sports shops would be charged as well in this country .
Cat
Old 05-21-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Wielded inappropriately is a given but concealed in full view is not concealed.
Probably go with the "concealed" in a holster or not in plain view BS but if it is in open plain view then you are brandishing it
Old 05-21-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Wielded inappropriately is a given but concealed in full view is not concealed.
I agree . But the lawyer said he can if he so chooses to. I am not exaggerating !!!!!!
Old 05-21-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You would not be charged for carrying it if you were only hunting ,
There are a pike of members here who like to embellish details and spread fear ,
If folders were actually now illegal and every sportsman was now a criminal half the gas stations and all the sports shops would be charged as well in this country .
Cat
cat I am not exaggerating . I was weirded right out . This is all true!
Old 05-21-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
cat I am not exaggerating . I was weirded right out . This is all true!
I'm not exaggerating either - I don't believe this load of crap
Done here with this piece of fiction
Cat
Old 05-21-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I'm not exaggerating either - I don't believe this load of crap
Done here with this piece of fiction
Cat
gods honest truth. But I don't blame you . I couldn't believe it either but it happened to me!
Old 05-21-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I agree . But the lawyer said he can if he so chooses to. I am not exaggerating !!!!!!
I do not think that you are exaggerating, but I think that not all lawyers know their stuff. Yep some Police Officers may use a similar tactic to get you in for an interrogation if you were suspected of something. I do not think that this was the case or you would have been taken in. I also think that some lawyers like to instill the idea that there is frequent need for their help.

I think that the officer did not know his stuff or was just being a butt head as a very few do from time to time.

If it happened as you described, you did nothing wrong.

Some jurisdictions like the City Of Calgary have bylaws about displaying knives in public. Usually large knives worn on the belt. Usually only enforced against creepy people in public parks and drunks trying to gain access in drinking establishments.

Like I said before, you did nothing wrong.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I do not think that you are exaggerating, but I think that not all lawyers know their stuff. Yep some Police Officers may use a similar tactic to get you in for an interrogation if you were suspected of something. I do not think that this was the case or you would have been taken in. I also think that some lawyers like to instill the idea that there is frequent need for their help.

I think that the officer did not know his stuff or was just being a butt head as a very few do from time to time.

If it happened as you described, you did nothing wrong.

Some jurisdictions like the City Of Calgary have bylaws about displaying knives in public. Usually large knives worn on the belt. Usually only enforced against creepy people in public parks and drunks trying to gain access in drinking establishments.

Like I said before, you did nothing wrong.
thanks! I agree. It was mega strange. Apparently I look threatening with a coke in one hand and a bag of chips in the other.lol!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
thanks! I agree. It was mega strange. Apparently I look threatening with a coke in one hand and a bag of chips in the other.lol!
Ok tell it all. What's the rest of the story. Gotta be more.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
Ok tell it all. What's the rest of the story. Gotta be more.
not much more to tell. I called the detachment next day . I asked what exactly is the law. I got no answers. I was told the queens court is a big book and he didn't feel like finding it. A wtf
Old 06-22-2018, 09:27 AM

Default All Folding Knives, All Brands Being Randomly Seized By CBSA

Only a few days left, folks to sign the petition. Please also take this chance to connect with your MP. This is a big deal, not only to those of us in the outdoor community, but to the majority of Canadians and especially those that require a knife for their daily duties.

Thanks much!
Old 06-24-2018, 12:40 AM

I signed this last month and I just tried to sign it again haha
Old 06-24-2018, 01:18 AM
Banned

Default Crap

This isn't the first thread on this nonsense. My house is bookended by two cops, one EPS, one RCMP. I happened to mention this notion to both of them and they laughed, no-one is going to be charged for carrying a knife- even if some bozo green horn beat cop wanted to act like the man and charge you for carrying a folding/non folding-whatever knife- it would NEVER hold up in court.

Being a believer in due-diligence I called my cousin- another EPS dude and he said the same thing- my kids soccer coach is a cop- he said the same thing.

Really getting tired of people fabricating stories and events to try and stir the pot.

Possession of knives and the carrying thereof are not illegal acts in Canada.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:07 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
This isn't the first thread on this nonsense. My house is bookended by two cops, one EPS, one RCMP. I happened to mention this notion to both of them and they laughed, no-one is going to be charged for carrying a knife- even if some bozo green horn beat cop wanted to act like the man and charge you for carrying a folding/non folding-whatever knife- it would NEVER hold up in court.

Being a believer in due-diligence I called my cousin- another EPS dude and he said the same thing- my kids soccer coach is a cop- he said the same thing.

Really getting tired of people fabricating stories and events to try and stir the pot.

Truth!! I deal with RCMP virtually every day and I always have a folding knife with a 13cm blade on my belt in a sheath, and never once have I gotten a second look, even when pulling it out to slice open a box or what-not. The most that has ever happened was going into an MMA event once I forgot I was carrying it and the RCMP guy at the door held onto it for me and gave it back after the fights.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-24-2018, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post

x2
This paranoia is tiring. There have been some issues at the border...mostly from lack of knowledge.
I deal with EPS and RCMP on a weekly basis in my work and they all say as what airborne hunter has found. There are no laws, nor any in the works that
prohibit us from owning folders, including those that are non spring assisted such as the SOG's.
As well when talking to a customer who works at Cabela's they've had no issue with new stock coming in.