Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
lol. good to hear you are still typing.....
i have no idea what velocity they are running; show no pressure across the board; and shoot great.
i spend more time shooting and correcting results than analyzing the crap out of things any more; with the exception of things that really matter; pressure; brass life; accuracy.
to be clear; my gun is a 6x47 remington; 222mag necked up, lee
I was aware that you are running a 6x47 Remington on the 222 mag case. I suspect that you are running the 68 Berger at similar Velocity to what Travis is running his 20 EXTREME with the 55 Berger Long range BT Varmint. I suspect that the pressures are very similar and brass life is not a concern as well.

I do like to analyze things and find I can get very close to real field results with my Chronogtaph results and the RCBS Ballistics Program . For example you found that the 55 Berger dropped 34" at 500M from a 300M Zero with the 22.2 Varget load which clocked 3223 on a cool 14Celsius day. I suspected that it would open up a bit on a hot day and it did at 28 Celsius with the resulting 46 fps velocity increase to 3269. When I run the numbers a 300 M Zero with a 34" drop, to 500M, the 55 Berger would be traveling 3241 which would be very close as you likely shot the groups at about 20 Celsius. From a 100 M Zero you would have had to dial up 3.5 MOA to get to 300M and 9.5 MOA to get to 500M. In a 10MPH crosswind you would have had about 1" drift at 100M, 4" at 200M, 9" at 300M, 17" at 400M and 28" at 500M. If you are running the 68 Berger to 3200 in your 6X47 R my program shows 9.75 MOA and 32" wind drift to 500 Meters for comparison

I would like to thank you for taking the time to get me some accurate real world drops with my 55 Berger load in the 9" twist 20 EXTREME. It also confirms my belief that I can get very close to longer range real world results by working up "Pressure Ladder" loads at 100 yards over the Chronograph.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:28 PM

please don't take my previous post as a knockdown in regard to doing research and analyzing data.

with the amount of loading and shooting I do on different guns and cartridges, i'm finding that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I understand the human nature to try new things and bugger around trying to build a better mousetrap, but it seems to me for most people, this quest for ultimate accuracy is fueled by internet hype, not real world requirements for filling the freezer or having fun on the range.

as stated, a competent shooter will do every bit as well with a good shooting 30-06 with good loads as he will with a 6.5 creedmore. he may have to work a little work a little harder in the wind, or dial a little more elevation, but good results will be able to achieved.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.