Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 08:34 AM

Default Kidney transplant, how long of a wait,

I came down with kidney failure in August of 2013, I was diagnosed with a having a disease , IgA nephropathy, occurs when when a antibody called immunoglobulin A lodges in my kidneys , causing loss of kidney function, doctors tried to cure it with drugs,including Prednisone and special diet, my kidney function continued to decline, and in Oct 2016, I was thrown in a ambulance and taken to Red Deer hospital, where I spent 3 weeks, and where I was put on Dialysis, I am on Dialysis 3 days a week, at Stettler hospital, it has helped me get feeling much better, I am on a kidney transplant list, and have had several tests , including C scans and PET scans, to be sure I am healthy enough to go through for a kidney transplant , I was wondering if anyone on AO, knows or has relatives that had a kidney transplant. and how long they had to wait , Thanks for all your replies , Mike
Old 06-19-2018, 08:48 AM

My mom waited I think about 5-6 years. I think this was longer than normal as she has many other health issues that delayed getting a donor kidney. I think there was an opportunity at one stage but with her health condition at the time they wouldn't do the transplant surgery. Finally the stars lined up and she was doing well and there was a perfect match. The doctors said it was still very risky at this stage of her life, I think she was 70. It has worked out very well and no more dialysis since the transplant.

Depending on how long it takes for you but she was able to get set up with home dialysis after a couple years and she would do it at night while she slept and didn't have to go to the hospital 3 times a week.

My parents had to take a course before they set it up in their home. I can't remember but it was about 3-4 weeks of training for both my mom and my dad.

Depending on your age and health it may not take as long. The other option is for a live donor if anyone in your family can qualify. This didn't work in my mom's case as none of the family were a proper match.

Good luck and hang in there. The dialysis is you life blood literally and is inconvenient but until the transplant its better than the alternative.

Cheers
Old 06-19-2018, 08:58 AM

My spouse has been waiting 9 years she has a rare blood type but is healthy and on top of the list and we'restill waiting as she slowly dies another reminder for people to sign der donor cards

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2018, 08:30 AM

As a dialysis nurse..... we have had a lot of transplants lately due to drug OD's, the living related donor program is great as is the Living Donor Paired Exchange . Hang in there!!! It will happen.... the phone will ring..... until then stay healthy, embrace the dialysis life make it your best friend, the closer you follow the diet the drugs, the restrictions the better you'll feel and the healthier you'll be when they call!! You can do this!!!
Old 06-21-2018, 12:20 PM

One friend waited about 3 years, the other 5-6, it was a hard time going through ups and downs. Wishing you and the family all the best for the time ahead.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
As a dialysis nurse..... we have had a lot of transplants lately due to drug OD's, the living related donor program is great as is the Living Donor Paired Exchange . Hang in there!!! It will happen.... the phone will ring..... until then stay healthy, embrace the dialysis life make it your best friend, the closer you follow the diet the drugs, the restrictions the better you'll feel and the healthier you'll be when they call!! You can do this!!!
Thank you for your comments, I’m actually doing very well on Dialysis, the nurses I have are awesome, I have some things going for me, I’m a non smoker , never started , never did drugs , not obese , not diabetic. Eat healthy and exercise regularly , I keep hoping
Old 06-22-2018, 07:57 AM

Well you're doing all the right things good luck hopefully it doesn't take as long as us

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2018, 09:10 AM
AO Sponsor

Good friend of mine had a family member who was a perfect match and don ated a kidney so it happen quite quickly for him. Maybe six months if I remember correctly from start to end. Hopefully you have someone like that in your life who can step up! I know I would for any family member or friend if I could.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintearthCounty View Post
Thank you for your comments, I’m actually doing very well on Dialysis, the nurses I have are awesome, I have some things going for me, I’m a non smoker , never started , never did drugs , not obese , not diabetic. Eat healthy and exercise regularly , I keep hoping
^^^ That is awesome!!!! You sound like you would be the patient every dialysis nurse would love to care for!!!! As I tell all my patients..... be as knowledgeable and aware of your body and your dialysis and how it effects you!! The more you know the better!!!.... If you're ever in Calgary..... let me know... I'll "Hook you up" lol... take care .... don't ever give up !!!