Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 07:05 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Used Boats... Freshly rebuilt, regularly for sale???

I have had my eye on the used boat section on kijiji for some time now, and I regularly come across good looking boats that have recently received a new motor and new outdrive, and a whopping 7 to 20 hours on the fresh unit, and then they are up and for sale.

Like all the time!

Seems to me that there is nothing much to an inboard outfit, a motor, an outdrive, a few wires and a hose or two. Is there much more to it than that, like if I buy such a unit, am I headed for a world of grief for some reason?

Seems nutty, they blow a bunch of $$$$ on a new motor, and more $$$$ on a new outdrive, then turn around and sell the boat for just a few more bucks than their motor and outdrive is worth.

Are these things good buys? Or are they going to be a source of constant headache and spoiled trips?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:17 AM

Marty , boat is an ancronym for " bring on another thousand"!
I think many owners get the drive trained reconditioned and call ir rebuilt then sell the unit because they either want to upgrade or are not using it and want to buy something else .
" rebuilt" is a highly abused term IMO , many times I have seen a rebuilt motor with nothing more done to it than a head gasket and water pump .
Cat
Old 06-17-2018, 07:36 AM

With inboards it seems some are cursed no particular brand just something like built on the wrong day or something weird. I had a blue fin that ran trouble free for the 3 years I owned it while another one used less than mine had the drive rebuilt twice then sold shortly after being "rebuilt" for the second time.

A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into.
Rick Harrison
Old 06-17-2018, 07:52 AM
Suspended User

I am another one watching the same category. If you watch them long enough, one won't sell. Dude fixes the problem he thinks is the turn off, tries again. Ad expires again, or the low ballers try. So that winter he fixes some more, hoping to recover the last money. All he's doing is increasing his boats standing to unsalable. All the while forgetting that his boat is thirty years old.
I've seen boats from the 70's being advertised wanting $5000, with original gear. "Great first boat. No problems." It was the new price but now its worth that used?
Its funny how people set their prices by searching the other ads. Then set their price at the same as the other boats that aren't selling. Guess I've been watching the boat section for too long,
Old 06-17-2018, 08:33 AM

I know exactly what you mean about fresh rebuilds or new engines/ legs for sale. There a couple thing happening.
Number one is people have some bad luck and have to legitimately dump lots of cash into the boat. Cracked blocks or legs from freezing engines ingesting water due to manifolds, overheated and damaged, bad previous “rebuilds” even just plain worn out. Guys take it in and find out it is going to cost as much or more than the boat is worth but go ahead with the repairs because what else are you going to do with the dam thing. All of this leaves a bad taste in their mouth, the wife is bitching and all enjoyment of the boat is gone so they can’t wait to get rid of it and at least get a few bucks back. I have seen this a number of times.

You also get the situation where the worn out / busted engine is sent in for a rebuild only to find the leg is worn out too. The engine is rebuilt but not the leg and the boat is sold before the leg blowes up too

Then there is the structural problems. An engine can be pulled only to find the stringers it was bolted to are rotten. Same with the leg, pull the leg and find the transom is rotten. A rebuild is done but transom and stringers are not because that is damm expensive and the average guy can’t do it.

Then you get the half ass “rebuilds” that are just enough to get the thing running. And then there are the all out lies saying the 2000 hour engine is rebuilt but it’s not.

FWIW General rule of them for your typical carbureted small block Chevy (merc and Volvo) is to start to think of a rebuild at around 1000 hours.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Banned

A boat ill provide you with the happiest 2 days of your life, the day you buy,,,and the day you sell it
Old 06-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
A boat ill provide you with the happiest 2 days of your life, the day you buy,,,and the day you sell it
I feel sorry for the guys who feel this way, but they are the first guys who want you to take them out fishing.

My Dad says that about boats, but now that he's sold his I'm sure he wishes he still had his boat.

I bought my most recent boat used with less than a tank of oil run through it for 1/5 the price of a new one in the same model, it was only on kijiji for 11 minutes when I called the guy. I lucked out and to this day I think it's the best recreational vehicle purchase I've made. It'll be a sad day if I ever have to sell it.

Boats can be a costly venture but with regular maintenance they will last a long time.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post

FWIW General rule of them for your typical carbureted small block Chevy (merc and Volvo) is to start to think of a rebuild at around 1000 hours.
Just to add. 1000 hrs for a rebuild due to wear but lots (most?) don’t make it that far before something else takes them out.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:40 AM

I've been pretty lucky with my boats over the years..no major problems..bought in the fall and when I sold I sold at the beginning of summer..always got back what I paid..except in Inuvik..I sunk a coupla good boats up there, that was fun but kinda costly..so expect the good with the bad whenever boating..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 06-17-2018, 02:48 PM

In 17 years I drove my jet HARD over sand bars, rock bars , logs , all kinds of skinny water . Replaced a stator , an impeller wear ring and tgstvwas itbuntil I broke the crank last year .
I would say that is a very reliable motor , I put a ton of hours on it .
I replaced the motor as it was cheaper than acre- build, and am looking toward to another 17 years!
If I only get it out a few times a year it s worth it fir me to have it when I need it
Cat
Old 06-17-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
I am another one watching the same category. If you watch them long enough, one won't sell. Dude fixes the problem he thinks is the turn off, tries again. Ad expires again, or the low ballers try. So that winter he fixes some more, hoping to recover the last money. All he's doing is increasing his boats standing to unsalable. All the while forgetting that his boat is thirty years old.
I've seen boats from the 70's being advertised wanting $5000, with original gear. "Great first boat. No problems." It was the new price but now its worth that used?
Its funny how people set their prices by searching the other ads. Then set their price at the same as the other boats that aren't selling. Guess I've been watching the boat section for too long,
X2 i have a 1972 steury 16 ft with a 75hp crysler. The boat doea run well however parts are getting harder to find. Im thinking of selling but i actally have a conscience, so not sure what to ask? If its clean, runs great, no leaks? $1000 obo?

As ive gotten older ive found a guy can save big bucks buying used, however im sure some will admit. Brand new sure is nice sometimes... i may end up purchasing a brand new evinrude g2 150 HO. Then be patient looking for a slightly used boat to put it on.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:51 PM

I see the same thing with boats always advertising rebuilt it sounds fake. Until last year I was going to sell my boat it’s working good and the pump on it jammed (it’s outboard jet) got the problem fixed and want running good took it to the shop one piston bad. Dilemma around 12 to 14 thousand for a new motor or 6000 for a total rebuild. I chose 6 and now I’m one of those adds. Had to fix the motor to sell the boat. Or sell the boat for peanuts.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:40 PM

Default Talk to Big Zeke for the tears from an IO

Guys will ram in a rebuild auto 4.3 when it must be a MARINE 4.3. Marine 4.3 has bigger oil pump, sealed Alternator, etc. Marine 4.3s can run at 5 - 7K steady, not an Auto 4.3 which is built for 3000 RPM.

Next, is the fact that if you have direct cooling, you have winterizing issues as any water left in the block DOES FREEZE. If it is a closed cooling system (a radiator with anti freeze) then the only problem is corrosion on the heat exchangers and pump problems for the lake water side.

Transom and Stringers are endless fun. Old boats are nothing but grief especially if they came from the Coast.

Yes, do not get suckered in by "fresh rebuild". There was an outfit called "Marine Madness" that sold me a rebuild 120 Johnson. The block had been done down in the States, and then sold to me as a complete motor. It never did work right.

Next Season I finally had enough and went to Tournament Marine who diagnosed the problem that someone used two Carburators from smaller engines when re assembling the block, and then the low speed Jets where not working on one of the carbs.

Carbs were re jetted for this altitude, engine dyno'ed at 2300 PSI, and the engine runs great now. For the grief and numerous return trips for a multitude of issues , I wish I had bought new.

But I do thank the guys at Tournament Marine for getting to the source of the problems which should not have occurred in the first place.

But that's what a "rebuild" will teach you.

Drewski
Old 06-18-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Guys will ram in a rebuild auto 4.3 when it must be a MARINE 4.3. Marine 4.3 has bigger oil pump, sealed Alternator, etc. Marine 4.3s can run at 5 - 7K steady, not an Auto 4.3 which is built for 3000 RPM.

Next, is the fact that if you have direct cooling, you have winterizing issues as any water left in the block DOES FREEZE. If it is a closed cooling system (a radiator with anti freeze) then the only problem is corrosion on the heat exchangers and pump problems for the lake water side.

Transom and Stringers are endless fun. Old boats are nothing but grief especially if they came from the Coast.

Yes, do not get suckered in by "fresh rebuild". There was an outfit called "Marine Madness" that sold me a rebuild 120 Johnson. The block had been done down in the States, and then sold to me as a complete motor. It never did work right.

Next Season I finally had enough and went to Tournament Marine who diagnosed the problem that someone used two Carburators from smaller engines when re assembling the block, and then the low speed Jets where not working on one of the carbs.

Carbs were re jetted for this altitude, engine dyno'ed at 2300 PSI, and the engine runs great now. For the grief and numerous return trips for a multitude of issues , I wish I had bought new.

But I do thank the guys at Tournament Marine for getting to the source of the problems which should not have occurred in the first place.

But that's what a "rebuild" will teach you.

Drewski

The difference between the 4.3 chev and merc/Volvo is not as big as people make it seem and it gets argued endlessly. Stainless head gasket, rv cam, possibly a different fuel pump. I know of a few boats out there with straight chev 4.3, 350, 383 and LS in various levels of Hp mild to wild. Most are in jet boats where abuse and long runs up river are the norm. They run fine.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I feel sorry for the guys who feel this way, but they are the first guys who want you to take them out fishing.

My Dad says that about boats, but now that he's sold his I'm sure he wishes he still had his boat.

I bought my most recent boat used with less than a tank of oil run through it for 1/5 the price of a new one in the same model, it was only on kijiji for 11 minutes when I called the guy. I lucked out and to this day I think it's the best recreational vehicle purchase I've made. It'll be a sad day if I ever have to sell it.

Boats can be a costly venture but with regular maintenance they will last a long time.
Agree 100 percent,if I didn't have a boat I would be lost and your right on the bums that ask to be taken out.If it's well maintained they can last a long time.

I had pro v 2125, a lund ssv 18 plus a light 14 foot to get into small lakes,i sold 2 cause of where I moved and kept my ssv 18 with a 40 Honda I use it plenty,infact I am heading up north for 3 weeks by my self to fish the English river system in Ontario and it's a very large body of water with lunker walleyes and I won't see another person if I am lucky for days or a week.I was just on lake of the woods and in one day threw back 16 trout over 20 pounds biggest at 32lbs along with 200 walleyes in 4 days.

To be a complete outdoorsman is much more than sitting in some field waiting for your rifle to go bang and watch it flop over ,got past that 45 years ago.

One thing you will never see in your life is a hearse towing a you haul ,ALEXANDER the great asked for 3 wishes when he died and one was to have his hands open out his coffin to show the world that you leave empty handed no matter who you are or how great you have been in this world SO ENJOY LIFE TO THE FULLIEST,within your means and treat others with respect and kindness .

Last edited by JD848; 06-18-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
A thousand hours on the motor is a hell of a lot of time on the water. We do about 100 hour on our boat (motor) every year and we are on the lake almost every weekend. That is 10 years of boating for us. I am good with that.

We have 6 years (600 hours) on our merc 4.3 and have not had a single issue.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
A thousand hours on the motor is a hell of a lot of time on the water. We do about 100 hour on our boat (motor) every year and we are on the lake almost every weekend. That is 10 years of boating for us. I am good with that.

We have 6 years (600 hours) on our merc 4.3 and have not had a single issue.
Ya and That’s for carb inboards, American iron. Fuel injected outboards Japanese aluminum you can double that to 2000 hrs with many running 5000 hrs.

2 strokes well good luck it’s 1 to 1000 hrs for your optimax and 200-2000 for your Etec. Some 2 strokes do make it to thousands of hours before needing rebuild but like most boat engines something else takes them out before wear becomes the problem
Old 06-18-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

Agreed...bought an 02 Lund with a 90 Johnson outboard in 08 only thing had to do is add oil and gas. Could probably sell today and make 2 to 3k on it.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:29 PM
AO Sponsor

Well that sure makes sense, new motor/outdrive but rotten boat = boat for sale with 10 hours on new motor/outdrive.

"Rebuilt" = 1/2 job on a regular basis... especially inboard motors/drives.

So it looks like go w an outboard unless the conversion was made. Probably a myriad of things to watch out for in this dept too!

So get a marine survey if at all possible if a guy is looking at a bigger boat I take it.

Dang, got so busy I almost forgot I started this thread! Actually I did forget!