Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2020, 02:24 PM

Default The dreaded "shift", advice needed

This spring i took the time to scout a bunch of new areas for WT, in fairly thick timber. Some close to the road, some quite a ways away. The best piece of ground i found with the most sign (from last year and previous years) isn't that far off the road, but with the number of rubs and scrapes i found i put up cameras anyway. One spot is a pinch point created by logging, a small stretch of woods that connect two larger pieces. The other spot (about 500 yards away) is on a transition line with thick spruce and poplar trees. Both cameras have given me lots of entertainment and lots to look at over the past few months, however. As of Sept. 25 there has been absolutely nothing on those cameras, not even at night. The scrapes that were started in the area are covered up, and i have not found very many fresh rubs. There is a lot of hunting pressure on the road and trail areas but i find that not many guys are venturing into the woods. It also has been fairly warm, i saw it hit 19 on my last day out.
I'm fairly confident that these locations will be decent still during the rut BUT can anyone help with some insight on where they are now? Are they hunkered down and staying put? Did they move to a different food source? ( if so what is the preferred food for WT in the woods during fall/winter) Has the area been blown out? Any ideas or opinions would be helpful.
If you've made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read and possibly give some insight.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:37 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

warm weather they are hunkering down but they will get frisky soon enough...I am seeing small rubs in the area I hunt....things will pick up...patience...maybe hang a camera and don't go in too often as they will change their patterns because of you being in the area too much.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2020, 04:59 PM

They are moving but only for a couple hrs in the morning, evening and at night. Early runs are scraping off velvet and don’t really matter. In the last few days just started seeing true rubs. Scrapes for the rut are not usually seen till Nov

My wife has done more deer hunting then me well I have been hitting waterfowl. Last few days have averaged about 4-6deer sightings in the morning and same in the evening. I have only been out once and passed on a 8pt and seen 2 does

Food sources are shifting so some areas that were good action are now dead because of it. Cams I set in areas that had scrape lines last year that were slow earlier are now becoming more active but not scrapes yet.

Unfortunately one of my areas that was hot last year and earlier in September is now dead to a big increase in atv traffic near by

And if you walk on the game trail to check cams or check too often yes the change movements. If you are too close to bedding areas your odds of pushing them out increase in my opinion

That is what my house hold is experiencing and my opinion
Old 10-08-2020, 05:47 PM

Deer don't go far, they're still there somewhere.

Grizz
Old 10-08-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Deer don't go far, they're still there somewhere.

Grizz
Yup they may change their pattern or focus on different sections but they are still in the general area

Unfortunately sometimes they shift into sections that are much tougher to hunt
Old 10-08-2020, 07:38 PM

Default The shift

I’ve seen a big shift in deer locales this year due to many fields not getting planted from all the moisture we’ve received last fall and this spring? This may apply in your area also?
Old 10-09-2020, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the input fellas, i have a cell camera on one location and i only checked the other when i was there hunting. I don't think i've been too intrusive but i also don't know who's in the area when i'm not as its crown land.
I'll sum it up to being impatient and hope for the best.