Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-01-2015, 10:58 PM

Default Baikal MP 221, ARTEMIDA 45/70

Just bought one off a guy still in the box.
Am I going to regret this?

Anyone ever shoot one, impressions?

I am pretty excited about it…

Oh and Trapdoor loads right? anyone have a good load they like?

Last edited by openfire; 10-01-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:00 AM

Baikal is built to handle 30-06, i believe some were also done in 9.3x74r, so a normal 45-70 load isn't an issue in that regard. As to what ammo it will shoot well, it may be easy to figure out, it may not. It will probably be only one load and nothing else, that works. You also have to learn how to shoot it, it isn't like a normal rifle to shoot, probably won't shoot well off a bench, like others do, it is designed to be shot offhand or off sticks. They are designed for two quick shots, and only 3 sets of shots will heat them up fast. It should be equipped with adjustable regulation, which may or may not be a help in finding out what it likes. And they may or may not have set it up right, to start with, from Baikal. Some work well off the bat, some need a bit of work, some need a hammer, or a pipe wrench, a jig and solder. They are a lot fussier to regulate than a sxs shotgun.
Can be a great gun once you get them working, it is an experience to learn about how they work. There is a fair bit of info around on them, if you run into trouble with it, there are places who can help with getting them to work.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:15 AM

If you have always wanted to own a double rifle but have been put off by the $10,000 price tag the Baikal is the answer. Perfect gun for wild boar, bear and close quarters moose. Gun shoots very well and is easily regulated at 50 and 100 yards for Hornady 350 grain RN jacketed bullets or Remington 405s with Varget. The rifle has a barrel adjustment screw so that you can regulate for different loads if you wish to. Two trigger model, front fires right barrel, with extractors, just like the classic doubles. They have a good tight action. When you open them use your finger on the opening lever to lock the gun open for easier loading.

For the price it is very hard to beat them. They will shoot great groups at 100 yards but you do have to have the patience to let them cool well as the thin barrels heat quickly and wander. If you try to fire four fast shots your groups will be larger by quite a bit than if you let the barrels cool to room temp first.

I have shot a lot of 45-70, especially on bears. With them it is the hole that kills not velociity. A 350 grain round nose will kill just as well at 1600 FPS as it does at 2100, but it dosesn't kick near as hard so any follwup shot is way faster.

The red circle is one inch in diameter.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:00 AM

I have only shot 2 loads out of friend's in Ontario.
He was loading 400gr cast and accuracy was OK, barrel regulation needed a bit of tweaking (shots about 3" apart at 50m)

Hornady factory 350gr FTX shot to exact point of aim with shots from both barrels just about cutting each other at 50m. For a $600 double rifle I was impressed and they are fun to shoot!
Old 10-22-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have shot a lot of 45-70, especially on bears. With them it is the hole that kills not velociity. A 350 grain round nose will kill just as well at 1600 FPS as it does at 2100, but it dosesn't kick near as hard so any follwup shot is way faster.

The red circle is one inch in diameter.

Hi Dean,

I have purchased the same rifle last year and found the sighting in pretty hard.Having said that, I have only used Remington Core Lokt 405 grain factory load (I am not into reloading my own ammo yet). Did you use Hornady factory loads?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 10-22-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUpNorth View Post
Hi Dean,

I have purchased the same rifle last year and found the sighting in pretty hard.Having said that, I have only used Remington Core Lokt 405 grain factory load (I am not into reloading my own ammo yet). Did you use Hornady factory loads?

Thanks,

Joe
Nope, all mine were hand loads, but the Rem factory stuff should shoot well out of it. When you say you have had trouble sighting in, remember, after more than n 2 shots per barrel the heat will make the POI wander around. You have to have the patience to let them cool completely to get a true idea of where they hit.

To tell if the ammo groups well, shoot two shot groups out of one barrel, Do this 3 or 4 times, allowing lots of cooling time. The two shots out of the same barrel should be within an inch of each other. Now test the other barrel the same way. Once you are sure the load groups well, work on getting both barrels regulated to hit in the same place at 100 or 50 yards depending on use.

If you need more info just PM me your phone number and we can talk.