Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 AM

Default sandos playcar

Hey all going to Mayan Rivera next week, staying at sandos playcar,
my question is has anyone packed a rod down, and is there anywhere to cast a line..
Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 AM

Hey, I did the same thing in January when I stayed in the mayan riviera and I packed my 4 piece - 7 foot Rapala travel rod and a tray full of tackle. I'll be honest its tricky to fish near the resorts because A) people are in the water and B) the ropes they use to contain the swimmers area can be problematic when casting.

I ended up walking about a half mile down the beach until I found an area without people or ropes. I casted a Gozume (I think) anchovy type casting jig in knee deep water as far as I could into the ocean - Those lures are heavy and cast a mile! The technique was rip-jigging the entire way in, just making the lure tear through the water. I had only one bite and it was right before dark and one local who saw the action told me it was a shark. I believe him since the heavy pure metal lure was fairly scratched after that encounter. That was all the luck I was to have and unfortunately I only tried it the one time. Still had fun and wish I could have fished a bit more but I did hear of people catching rooster fish and other types using the same technique just days earlier so it is possible - Good luck!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
Hey, I did the same thing in January when I stayed in the mayan riviera and I packed my 4 piece - 7 foot Rapala travel rod and a tray full of tackle. I'll be honest its tricky to fish near the resorts because A) people are in the water and B) the ropes they use to contain the swimmers area can be problematic when casting.

I ended up walking about a half mile down the beach until I found an area without people or ropes. I casted a Gozume (I think) anchovy type casting jig in knee deep water as far as I could into the ocean - Those lures are heavy and cast a mile! The technique was rip-jigging the entire way in, just making the lure tear through the water. I had only one bite and it was right before dark and one local who saw the action told me it was a shark. I believe him since the heavy pure metal lure was fairly scratched after that encounter. That was all the luck I was to have and unfortunately I only tried it the one time. Still had fun and wish I could have fished a bit more but I did hear of people catching rooster fish and other types using the same technique just days earlier so it is possible - Good luck!

Thanks, I figured if I go early enough i'll beat the crowds, get an hour or so each day before the family gets up for breakfast..
Old 03-23-2017, 01:03 PM

Just go to the south end of the property and you'll be away from the main crowd. There's no resort on that side so lots of room.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highland View Post
Just go to the south end of the property and you'll be away from the main crowd. There's no resort on that side so lots of room.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Excellent thanks for the tip..
Old 03-23-2017, 05:45 PM

We stayed there about 3 years ago ,last hotel on the strip.
Next to it was a jungle with a beach that went for miles.
We walked it every day .Should be good fishing along there with out any one getting in the way.

Pm sent.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
We stayed there about 3 years ago ,last hotel on the strip.
Next to it was a jungle with a beach that went for miles.
We walked it every day .Should be good fishing along there with out any one getting in the way.

Pm sent.
Thxs appreciate all the info....