Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 AM

Default Making your own Walleye spinner harnesses?

Im just starting to make my own spinner harnesses does anyone know of a good place online to buy Colorodo/Indiana Blades, Beads, Clevices, ect? any advise would be apprechiated.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:46 AM
KyleM

www.luremaking.com will have whatever your looking for.

Its to bad Bass Pro wasnt open yet....they carry some nice little
DIY kits.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleM View Post
www.luremaking.com will have whatever your looking for.

Its to bad Bass Pro wasnt open yet....they carry some nice little
DIY kits.
Thanks for the link.

Waxy
Old 01-31-2008, 12:41 PM

Always got mine from Cabela's, very good prices on bulk Blades, Beads, Clevice's floats etc.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:05 PM

Default luremaking

I just got a bunch of spinner making supplies from luremaking.com for the kids for Christmas (well, at the time I said it was for the kids!). I've been getting stuff from them for a few years. Very good prices and always fast service. They sell a nice kit, or you can buy all the components separately. We've been working to replace all the stuff we lost last summer, and then some!
For a few dimes each you can make a really nice product.
We've also had a lot of fun with their lure kits. The kids get the airbrush out and make some pretty impressive looking things. My son made a 'lucky lure' last year and caught a bunch of eye's and the biggest pike of his life on it.

D
Old 01-31-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outt and Aboutt View Post
I just got a bunch of spinner making supplies from luremaking.com for the kids for Christmas (well, at the time I said it was for the kids!). I've been getting stuff from them for a few years. Very good prices and always fast service. They sell a nice kit, or you can buy all the components separately. We've been working to replace all the stuff we lost last summer, and then some!
For a few dimes each you can make a really nice product.
We've also had a lot of fun with their lure kits. The kids get the airbrush out and make some pretty impressive looking things. My son made a 'lucky lure' last year and caught a bunch of eye's and the biggest pike of his life on it.

D
Right on Do you use FireLine so the pike dont cut the line all the time? Cant count how many hundreds of lures i lost cause of them buggers last year lol. thats what im making mine with im not sure if it will work or not but its worth i try i guess eh?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:13 PM

Tied a bunch up with Fireline when I went and fished Mirond Lake in Northern Sask. Worked fine until it kept line twisting on me, even with the Swivel.
Now tie them up with 17 lb test. Although abit stiff but have'nt lost as many to Gators. A buddy ties some rigs up with 7 Strand Wire when bouncing for Gators.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:52 PM
KyleM

If you guys are having probs with that Id suggest trying out some Fluro-Carbon line.

It can be a little tough to find but its 100% better then anything for leaders
Old 01-31-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchow View Post
Tied a bunch up with Fireline when I went and fished Mirond Lake in Northern Sask. Worked fine until it kept line twisting on me, even with the Swivel.
Now tie them up with 17 lb test. Although abit stiff but have'nt lost as many to Gators. A buddy ties some rigs up with 7 Strand Wire when bouncing for Gators.
tchow do you fish Mirond a lot? I have been up there quite a few times, i know the family that own's and run's Newmart up there. Not a bad lake, we have had many 100 fish days but trophy's are few and far between.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:11 PM

A good place for beads and the ring part of a wedding ring can be found at Bedrock Supply. Located on 51st Ave not far from the South side Fishing Hole. They have several different styles of wedding rings. I have been tying my own for a few years now and they are magic in most lakes. Best color for me has been chartreuse beads tapered in sizes like a weeding ring with the two shinny gold beads around the wedding ring. I usually use a decent size silver spinner as well. For the line I use 25 lb Big Game mono. I think a decent flourocarbon would be good as well. Maybe wire for those sharp-toothed pike...

P.S. Should have seen the look on the lady behind the till when I told her what I was planned to do with their craft supplies.....

Cheers!

Last edited by SNAPFisher; 01-31-2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 02-01-2008, 12:51 AM

Default rigs

I found a craft store that was closing out for all of my beads. I couldn't use all of my beads in the next 10 years if I tried. I also ordered a large selection of blades, clevises, and swivels and such from Cabela's. Look into quick change clevises. I have a bunch of harnesses tied with these and I just have to match whatever blade is already working instead of tying up a rig in the boat if I run out of a particular type.
I tie all of my Walleye harnesses with 6lb Transition by Vanish. Lately I have been using longer live bait rigs than usual. It's not uncommon for me to run 10 - 12 feet behind the weight.
I do lose maybe 3 out of 5 harnesses or rigs when I hook pike. I find that if the fish is head shaking I reverse the motor to go to the pike instead of pulling him to me. The smaller ones like to come to the surface anyway so I get them in quick with minimal thrashing. You almost always have to retie but at least all of the hardware isn't at the bottom of the lake.
If I am bouncing for Pike I usually use a floating Rapala on 5 feet of 10 lb leader with a black steel leader. I can run this for Walleye as well. I find Perch colors to be the best for this as the bouncer tends to keep the bait right on top of the weeds. Perch colors seem to work best for me if I am running baits through or right next to weeds.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchow View Post
Terry, next time your in the store check with Kelly, we now carry titanium spinner rigs, the end is left open so you can rig for pike, walleye, salmon, whatever.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:00 PM

Default spinner line

I'm tying mine with 12lb test mono. It gets most pike to the surface, but you still get the occasional tap and then nothing, with all your gear cleaned off. I suppose we could switch to something more high tech, but I'm OK with being left wondering what got away.
D
Old 02-21-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordoats26 View Post
Im just starting to make my own spinner harnesses does anyone know of a good place online to buy Colorodo/Indiana Blades, Beads, Clevices, ect? any advise would be apprechiated.
I make single double and triple hook harnesses with wire and mono its not hard once you get your knots right and tight to the eye of the hook!
use octopus hooks there most popular now and the eye turned back makes them easy to tie!
as for blades look for lots on ebay just type in spinner blades and your off!
make sure of your sizes and buy good quality clevises the steel ones will actually wear through the mono for fast trolling harnesses like hear on lake erie for walleye plastic is best!
and for knots google "making crawler harnesses" that will help and make sure you double hitch your end loop so 100% no slip out!
if your interested in pics of mine let me know!
good luck
Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 AM

http://dns.advnet.net/mkg/index.htm

http://dns.advnet.net/mkg/index.htm

A site that provides instructions.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:12 PM

if your able to tie nice harnesses with mono try wire!! the knots tie nicer and them nasty gators cant bite through try 30lb soft leader wire! works great!
if you pike guys are interested I tie plenty of tripple snelled wire harnesses and will ship at actual cost! cabels and bass pro dont make'em like this!!!