Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Default burbot spawn.

Anyone know what ling need to spawn?? Where on a lake would the majority of ling be found durring the spawn. What kind of depth?? Do they relate to the shallows and existing live weedbeds for egg cover and nurseries??

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Gone Hunting

The reason i ask, is because whitefish have been tougher lately. If they are keying in on ling eggs??? where would this be taking place???
Edit, this could help in hunting the big predators as well right now too i would think.

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:20 PM
jrs

I hammered the burbies today (finally) and none were in spawning condition, they are getting close though. Out of the eight i caught six looked like females (huge bellies) and none released eggs easily. The ones i kept are probably 2 weeks away still (2 females and one male). They could be going hard elsewhere already, this is my first ever productive day of burbot fishing (all were caught in a 2.5 hr period so i think the heavy feed period is right now). What a blast though!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:51 PM

Default Burb Spawn

The burbot actually spawn on shallow flats adjacent to steep dropoffs for the most part. Like JRS said, the spawn is still a couple weeks away, but now is the time to fish the right on the transition from shallow to deep, as they'll be periodically coming out of the depths to the spawning areas (this is what Western Sportsman has told me).

From my own experience though, during the spawn, they'll all be up on the shallow flats in their ling minage a' trois'. It's quite the thing to see. Last year at Sylvan we were watching the aqua view when a HUGE slithering orgy of burbot swam in. THis happened several times throughout the day. The same day, we were actually perch and white fishing with the aqua vu, and saw sediment being kicked up off-screen. We maneuvered the camera over, and to our surprise, actually watched a female laying her eggs under a log. She would sweep away at the sediment with her tail, creating the burbot equivalent to a redd (like trout do in flowing water). If we'd been able to record it we could have sold it to Alberta Geographic . It was interesting too, because the Perch and WHitefish were coming in from all over to collect the stray eggs, but weren't interested in maggots.

Hope this helps!

Moults
Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Hey moults, thanks for the info. Were you able to tell what color those eggs might have been. Did they look lighter or darker colored??? Im guessin they really arent all together very big???

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 PM
jrs

Really small white/creamy orange color eggs when developed a bit more (compared to trout eggs). Still orangy but we caught a more developed one last Sunday and they weren't as orange as whitefish eggs but still more colored than sucker eggs. Does that help at all?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Yippers. Thats exactly what i was lookin for. To beat the enemy, ya gotta know him....Look out now, mr. whitefish. I have some beads that are just the ticket on small wire worms, set the beads at the butt(hook end), should do the trick. Color could be the ticket though. Thanks jrs.

keepa strain on er.