Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2008, 11:53 AM

Default NB1 Conditions

Has anyone been out to NB1 over the last week or so. Looking to find out how much snow they got up there over the past 2 weeks. May try Beaver and or Pinehurst this weekend. Any info would be great.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 AM

Default Conditions

With the cold we've had I havn't been out in a few weeks now. Lots of snow and drifting as of late so i'm sure i can make a good assumption as to what its like and it most likely is tough going. Those two lakes may have seen enough anglers lately that you may be able to get on. What i've heard is that it is tough getting on any of the lakes in the region. I for one plan on pulling out the snow shoes and hiking on to the lake. Should be a nice weekend for fishing though!! There are some users on the forum that will have a much better idea than I on what the conditions are in that region. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:55 AM

Well I'm not planning to head out until Sunday so if you or anyone else do venture out up that way prior to that, please feel free to post a report. I hate to waste a tank of gas for nothing.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:53 AM

Any info would be awesome.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:14 AM

Snow is deep. The pack layer is soft and heavy trucks were sinking right in. I saw a Jeep TJ (too low) and a F150 (too heavy) get stuck, I was fine in my 4Runner but took it easy.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 PM

Hey Izumi, thanks for the update. Does not look like I will make it out this weekend afterall as the stomach flu has me assigned to bed for the most part. Of course right when we have the best weather in months.

Would a quad be do-able? How was the fishing?
Old 02-17-2008, 01:42 PM

A 4X4 Quad would be alright I think.
Fishing was a bit slow but a lot better then the last couple of weeks. I hope the nice weather keeps up.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:09 AM

Default Nb1

I was up at Hanmore this Saturday, the snow is really bad, the truck sank right through the pack layer down to the ice. Really easy to get stuck, there was no vehicles on the lake at all. Just a heads up.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 AM

Hey guys. Thanks for the Hanmore update. We got turned back from Marie, Garner, FloatingStone, Whitefish and Goodfish. All had poor access that I wouldn't try even with 4x4 and chains. Just too rough on the vehicle and likely to be a stuck-fest.

On the postitive side, Wolf has a decent track leading to the North West. If you stick to the track with a good 4x4 your okay. Off the track...yipes....deep hard packed stuff. Vincent had good tracks as well but the fishing sucks.

Pretty hit and miss up there. Don't know if I'll be back until open water. Just a 4x4 alone is not enough to get around safely. Oh well.....I have been wanting to get to know some more lakes around Edmonchuck as a backup.