Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-22-2024, 07:22 PM

Default Getting Firearms back from EPS

Just looking for a little info on what to do about this.

In August of 2022 my ex had me charged by making false accusations and the EPS confiscated my restricted Firearms. It took until March of 2023 to have the charges dismissed outright. I was told I was able to get my firearms back but the person I was staying with wouldn't allow Fireams in her House. Now that I'm back in my house I would like to get them back.

I have been trying to call the number I was provided to reclaim property but all I get is a voicemail. I have left my contact info and I can not get a response.

I was also wondering if there a time limit that the EPS will store something before it's auctioned or destroyed? It has been almost a year since I was able to retrieve them.

Thanks for any info.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:32 PM

Yeah, they aren't usually in a hurry to return firearms, even with a court order. Best is to get your lawyer to contact them. If you need a firearms lawyer, I can recommend a couple.

Also, don't be surprised if they're returned in a different condition then when you last saw them.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-23-2024, 05:57 AM

How long has it been?

The firearms may have gone to the smelter by now………….

There are no absolutes
Old 01-23-2024, 06:23 AM

I know a guy that was in a similar situation charges dropped and they ended up charging the spouse with false accusations and something else. He never got his rifle and shotgun back. Last i heard he had a lawyer and was going after the EPS.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hmmm perhaps a wee bit more to this story than what is being told....either way get a lawyer.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-23-2024, 07:44 AM

Typically what is said in Court in relation to the Exhibits is that the Exhibits are to be returned to the Accused within 30 days on proof of valid PAL / PALR after which the item is forfeit to the Crown.

The stuff lingers around sometimes for 6 months before it goes to Police Auction or in the case of firearms is destroyed.

Drewski
Old 01-23-2024, 01:58 PM

So you were eligible to pick up your guns and didn’t because of where you were living. I think if they were my guns I would have been thinking with my big head and picked them up the day I was eligible to.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Typically what is said in Court in relation to the Exhibits is that the Exhibits are to be returned to the Accused within 30 days on proof of valid PAL / PALR after which the item is forfeit to the Crown.

The stuff lingers around sometimes for 6 months before it goes to Police Auction or in the case of firearms is destroyed.

Drewski
Similar situation to the OP for me. If I recall correctly I was given a piece of paper, sent an email, and within days I had an appointment to go pick up my guns. I don't think it took more than 10 days to all come together. I also believe if I didn't act with in 30 days they would be destroyed.

BW
Old 01-24-2024, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hmmm perhaps a wee bit more to this story than what is being told....either way get a lawyer.

Perhaps a wee bit of assumption here and people so quick to judge is why I have to deal with this situation, but I appreciate your advise. Talked to the people I needed to today and I just need an ATT to get them so not as bad as I thought.

Last edited by Scruffy J; 01-24-2024 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:12 AM

Good to hear you can get them back. And don't mind that other guy, that's just the way he thinks and posts, he can't help himself.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-24-2024, 08:11 AM

Im pretty sure you need a lawyer and a court order . Then I think you will have to have your lawyer make a pick up appointment at police station. Bring witnesses and I hope it goes well.
Crown can be tricky. Take what seems like they are throwing everything out but the reality it can mess you up on your PAL and you need a PAL to pick up your guns and if it expired I suspect the machine will deny or slow down your renewal.
Expect you guns to be all dinged up.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:11 PM

Default guns

Just went through this at the beginning of Jan.
You will need to talk to Trish Dingman Chief CFO (587-577-9689)
Once contacted she will contact Edmonton Police Property and Exhibits (780-521-2158) This is likely where your guns are being stored (13030 yellowhead)
If they do not answer leave message and call again (They are terrible at returning messages) They will do a background check of your pall and may need you to call Miramichi for background check.
After email from CFO and background check and PAL search you will need to make an appointment to pick up guns. Trigger gaurds will need to be brought and used.
Presto Guns back

Gretz
Old 01-24-2024, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretz5582 View Post

You will need to talk to Trish Dingman Chief CFO (587-577-9689)

Gretz
Is she the "chief" for Edmonton area ? I thought the one with the Adam's Apple was the Provincial chief ?

Old 01-24-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Is she the "chief" for Edmonton area ? I thought the one with the Adam's Apple was the Provincial chief ?

Are you making a thinly veiled comment that would contravene forum rules about Teri Bryant, the CFO of Alberta? Because she is a fantastic CFO, and an outspoken proponent of gun ownership, and really is deserving of Albertans respect.

Maybe I misunderstood your adams apple comment.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:55 AM

Don't have much to add but it did happen to me but it was with the RCMP. Its quite the feeling when you see two Constables bringing your firearms back to you from lock up by holding 4 or 5 in each hand grabbing them by the barrels and making 4 trips that way. They don't store them very nicely either.

Nowadays if the Police are called for any type of domestic and you have firearms, its a very very good chance they are going to take them.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Don't have much to add but it did happen to me but it was with the RCMP. Its quite the feeling when you see two Constables bringing your firearms back to you from lock up by holding 4 or 5 in each hand grabbing them by the barrels and making 4 trips that way. They don't store them very nicely either.

Nowadays if the Police are called for any type of domestic and you have firearms, its a very very good chance they are going to take them.
It makes a person wonder if they beat up your firearms because they just don't care about your private property, or if they actually enjoy it? I got to see some firearms that were being repaired cosmetically, after being illegally taken from homes during the High River flood, and some very nice firearms were greatly devalued, by abuse. The fact that they were taken to the gunsmith to be repaired, tells me that they were not beaten up by the owners, as the owners cared about the condition of their firearms.
A good friend who since took his own life had brought me his firearms for safe keeping when he was going through a domestic situation, and I was called by the RCMP to deliver them to the local detachment. I estimate the value at $40-50k, and after his suicide, his father tried to get the firearms returned to the family, so they could be sold, but despite the actions of his lawyer, none were recovered. It makes no sense to destroy such firearms, but that is how our system works.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Are you making a thinly veiled comment that would contravene forum rules about Teri Bryant, the CFO of Alberta? Because she is a fantastic CFO, and an outspoken proponent of gun ownership, and really is deserving of Albertans respect.

Agreed. Teri is the best CFO in the country, we are very lucky!
Old 01-25-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It makes a person wonder if they beat up your firearms because they just don't care about your private property, or if they actually enjoy it? I got to see some firearms that were being repaired cosmetically, after being illegally taken from homes during the High River flood, and some very nice firearms were greatly devalued, by abuse. The fact that they were taken to the gunsmith to be repaired, tells me that they were not beaten up by the owners, as the owners cared about the condition of their firearms.
A good friend who since took his own life had brought me his firearms for safe keeping when he was going through a domestic situation, and I was called by the RCMP to deliver them to the local detachment. I estimate the value at $40-50k, and after his suicide, his father tried to get the firearms returned to the family, so they could be sold, but despite the actions of his lawyer, none were recovered. It makes no sense to destroy such firearms, but that is how our system works.
For the most part they were very decent to deal with. Email coms with the Staff Sergeant were very good. I think they just see them as "things" and dont place firearm's in such high regard as you or i would. A few of them were family heirlooms. It did feel like a stab in the heart though. LOL I can chuckle about it now a little bit. Time heals. Onwards and upwards...
Glad the OP will be getting his back it sounds like...

Last edited by 1899b; 01-25-2024 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Thank you for making criticism of our CFO, verboten.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Agreed, approachable, and sharp as a tack too.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:01 PM

Default Title

My apologies, I just l just looked back through my emails with Trish Dingman and her title is Firearms officer, Alberta Chief Firearms Office, Strategy, Support and Initiatives division. Sorry if there was confusion. She was excellent to deal with.
Gretz