Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-21-2023, 01:05 PM

Default Why did they stock walleye in Twin Valley reservoir

Firstly.. they got gobbled up, save a few.

Why does a group of fishermen need to have walleye everywhere?

Couldn't they have planted sucker or whitefish as a prolific food and recreational source fish?

Why walleye?
Old 10-21-2023, 01:30 PM

Alberta fisheries management has a walleye fetish it seems. I honestly can’t see any logic in how Alberta goes about throwing walleye all over the place with meh results and often damaging fisheries for other species

I respect creating a variety of fisheries for fishermen to enjoy even if they are ones I have no interest in but that is not what is happening in Alberta
Old 10-21-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Alberta fisheries management has a walleye fetish it seems. I honestly can’t see any logic in how Alberta goes about throwing walleye all over the place with meh results and often damaging fisheries for other species

I respect creating a variety of fisheries for fishermen to enjoy even if they are ones I have no interest in but that is not what is happening in Alberta
I agree. I don't understand the attraction to walleye. I'm always trying to keep the damn things off my hook when targeting other species. As soon as I figure out I've hooked a walleye, I get ****ed and break it off.

I'd love to see trout stocked in more lakes and rivers and more effort put into aeration. We have loads of walleye water, let's have a little more variety. Hell, there's lakes that trout won't do well in but bass would. Nope! Alberta has to toss yet more walleye in. I don't even like bass, but I'd rather see them in some lakes than walleye everywhere.
Old 10-21-2023, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I agree. I don't understand the attraction to walleye. I'm always trying to keep the damn things off my hook when targeting other species. As soon as I figure out I've hooked a walleye, I get ****ed and break it off.

I'd love to see trout stocked in more lakes and rivers and more effort put into aeration. We have loads of walleye water, let's have a little more variety. Hell, there's lakes that trout won't do well in but bass would. Nope! Alberta has to toss yet more walleye in. I don't even like bass, but I'd rather see them in some lakes than walleye everywhere.
So you intentionally leave hooks in fish’s mouths?

There is hundreds of stocked trout ponds across the province. Some hold really good sized trout.
Old 10-21-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:

It is not Alberta Fisheries it is Alberta fishermen. For some reason we seem to think they are the cats butt and pressure fisheries to stock them. Pity how they ruin trophy pike fisheries.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-21-2023, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
It is not Alberta Fisheries it is Alberta fishermen. For some reason we seem to think they are the cats butt and pressure fisheries to stock them. Pity how they ruin trophy pike fisheries.
Maybe it’s the circle of people I talk to but most don’t seem too happy about runt C&R/tag walleye fisheries. Now the C&K walleye lakes do seem more popular. But lots of guys not happy what has happened to pike fisheries

Maybe the walleye guys are a loud minority or it’s guys dreaming one day they can eat them

Personally I find C&R runty walleye boring
Old 10-21-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe it’s the circle of people I talk to but most don’t seem too happy about runt C&R/tag walleye fisheries. Now the C&K walleye lakes do seem more popular. But lots of guys not happy what has happened to pike fisheries

Maybe the walleye guys are a loud minority or it’s guys dreaming one day they can eat them

Personally I find C&R runty walleye boring
The mood is definitely swinging but 10 to 20 years ago everyone was crying for walleye. Lots of great pike fisheries were sacrificed. Tournament fishermen had a big part to play in the crying for walleye.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-21-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
The mood is definitely swinging but 10 to 20 years ago everyone was crying for walleye. Lots of great pike fisheries were sacrificed. Tournament fishermen had a big part to play in the crying for walleye.
Yep, along with several other f&w problems TJ had a hand in creating.

Some of you guys weren’t here for the Newfie invasion. They pretty much single-handedly wiped out walleye stocks across the province in the 90s. At the same time as the tournament circle had influence within the “conservative” party. That’s where the f&w walleye focus comes from.

Also…most serious anglers on AO are in the top 1% of the pool Re: effort and experience. The general public wants to catch a fish and eat it for supper, and walleye are the best tasting ones that grow in most of our waters. So there’s a large difference in perspective and priorities.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
So you intentionally leave hooks in fish’s mouths?

There is hundreds of stocked trout ponds across the province. Some hold really good sized trout.

No, I'm using heavy enough mono as a bit tippet that a few good jerks or reeling in extra quick usually pulls the spoon out of the walleye's mouth. Those that are brought to the boat or bank don't even leave the water, I quickly twist the hook out with pliers and get back to fishing.

I don't use bait, so I don't have issues with them getting deeply hooked.

The trout ponds up north here seem to be poorly managed and only have dinks. There's a couple lakes that turn out some tanks, but the meat fishermen kill them as fast as they get stocked. I witnessed a legit 7lb rainbow killed last week. I get keeping some for the table, but leave the big ones to grow.

Proper management of trout for sport fishery is a bit more involved than AB fisheries seems to understand.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:00 PM

Isn’t PCR a restricted (no fishing from Nov to April) trout fishery now? Wonder how that’s going? I mean, it should be a phenomenal trout fishery by now right?
Old 10-22-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
Isn’t PCR a restricted (no fishing from Nov to April) trout fishery now? Wonder how that’s going? I mean, it should be a phenomenal trout fishery by now right?
Another WTF stocking project lol
Old 10-22-2023, 04:58 PM

There was an angling survey done either last year or the beginning of this year which asked a number of questions regarding your preferred target species, perceived access to stocked trout etc. I can not seem to find it but I remembered seeing Walleye as the number one targeted species followed by Pike and then a couple trout species after.

Clearly this is not a scientific poll and can be heavily biased based on the angler who actually took the time to fill it out but Walleye stocking in happening due to this species popularity and if other anglers want trophy Pike/Trout lakes then I think lobbying your local biologist might be a good start.

I used to be Walleye/Pike or bust but I have now expanded enjoy Lake Whitefish and going after stocked trout near by favourite camping spot.

I fish Sylvan Lake mostly and the one Walleye no size limit effects are clearly being seen. Yes they are still stocking into this lake but since people have been removing the walleye I have noticed better Whitefish but the biggest change has been the size of Perch that I have caught over the past 2 years. Double digit inch Perch being caught on Len Thompson 00 spoons while trolling this summer was quite the surprise!

I think every angler on this forum wants to improve the Alberta angling experience and not everyone will agree with the best way but I think it is safe to say that some of the fishing policies have helped and others....not so much.
Old 10-22-2023, 05:32 PM

Outside the trout line up , walleye are the easiest to hatch and the government can make a good return when they sell tags .
Old 10-22-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Outside the trout line up , walleye are the easiest to hatch and the government can make a good return when they sell tags .
I doubt they are making much of anything on the tags after you add in the cost of operating that system and stocking. Add in the fact a lot of tags are going unsold too
Old 10-23-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Lmao, SAWT has 50 boats northern trail is bit bigger. Those 100 boats got a lot of pull
Old 10-23-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Lmao, SAWT has 50 boats northern trail is bit bigger. Those 100 boats got a lot of pull
When you flood meetings as a group, you have a lot of sway. And yes it did happen.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-23-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
He who has the best representation always sways things their way

Alberta anglers need stronger representation
Old 10-23-2023, 07:13 PM

trout fishing sucks... I wish we had more Walleye where I live! Wanna trade a few million trout for a few million Walleye?