Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-12-2023, 08:00 PM

Default Bugling and Calling-How Long to wait

Ive taken a couple elk but im gonna call it blind luck. Ive never been in a situation where its been heavy communication between cows and bulls or even having a bull come to a call, bugle or cow calls. Typically how long do you wait in a spot if you dont hear any vocalization back from a bull? When to move on?
Old 09-12-2023, 10:34 PM

Which way is the wind blowing & how much can you see?? I've seen them sneak right in quiet for a look. Never from downwind though.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-13-2023, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Ive taken a couple elk but im gonna call it blind luck. Ive never been in a situation where its been heavy communication between cows and bulls or even having a bull come to a call, bugle or cow calls. Typically how long do you wait in a spot if you dont hear any vocalization back from a bull? When to move on?
It depends on the situation;

1. You visually saw an elk lay down in a piece of bush, or know 100% that they're in there. Call (bull and/or cow call) - wait for reply, and listen to hear if the bull sounds a little lazy, or more fired up. Lazy means probably a slow-play. Fired up means you should probably start closing the distance while still calling and play the wind, because odds are he's on his way in already. If the sound keeps moving away, them you have to decide whether to try and catch up, or just cut your losses and try that spot another day - depends on how much walking you want to do

2. You haven't seen elk yet, or even any fresh sign; move along, while still playing the wind. They're likely not in that area. If for some reason they are, you might have a curious bull circle downwind a little to investigate, but they usually aren't put off by hearing something moving through the timber.

Check out Elknut on youtube, he's got some excellent stuff on elk calling and behaviour.

Full disclosure, we've yet to connect on a legal bull (we hunt 404 which is a 6 point zone), but have called in many big 5's, and have had lots of heated 'dicussions' with bulls in the last few years using a lot of his pointers. It's an amazing experience, and we learn something new every time.

If there are elk in an area, we almost always get them replying. It's a chess match!

Good luck
Old 09-14-2023, 07:02 AM

I'm no expert but I have got 6 elk so fall by calling, but I'm a rifle hunter, I've had big bulls sneak in silent and also had them come in full bore, satellite bulls are the easiest to call in as they have been run off by the herd bulls, if they get down wind of you the gig is up, always watch the down wind side to see if there is a bull sneaking around to get your wind.

Don't over call, if you don't get an answer or see a bull sneaking in with about 3 calls spread out over 20 minutes move on. The last bull I called in was a 5 x 5 and from the time I blew the call until I shot him was no more than 3 minutes so every set is is different, I shot a 6 x 6 that took 1/2 hr to entice before he showed himself and I had to work him with cow calls.

Good luck, nothing better than calling elk it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up when a big bull lights up and gets close, be ready you may only get a quick shot.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-09-2023, 01:50 AM

There’s no rule. If there are wolves around then no amount of calling will get much of a response fro other elk. They’ll sneak in like the 16 year old trying to date my daughter, but beyond that call as the sun setting on the tree tops in new areas especially the first day at a site. They’ll call back if they’re close by. Earlier than that and may not get much…I’ve shot a lot of elk, bow and rifle, started in ‘86 with the bow to get away from the rifle guys. Callings changed a lot since the early days. Ever6 plant operator and farm kid watches you boob videos and calls year round. Elk know what year of production of Hoochie Momma you are using…