Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-02-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Unless it's private property, are you allowed to take anything that you find? Even if it is private property, unless it's your property, are any items left there open game? I know it's a crappy way to look at it. But can the cops even do anything about that?

Not sure who's property this was on? Either way it's a crappy situation.
Legal Def:
The generic term for all crimes in which a person intentionally takes personal property of another without permission or consent and with the intent to convert it to the taker's use (including potential sale).

So no… It’s not ok to take something thats yours no matter where its located.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevormcfar View Post
Legal Def:

The generic term for all crimes in which a person intentionally takes personal property of another without permission or consent and with the intent to convert it to the taker's use (including potential sale).

So no… It’s not ok to take something thats yours no matter where its located.
Oh I totally agree. And I also agree with the behind the woodshed technique.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2021, 03:20 PM

Default Items Returned

I came into the office today to find my items returned in a box with a note/explanation. Thank you to the hunter/group who returned my items and provided $100.00 bill to help cover the cost of new SD cards and a cable lock. It would have been nice to have the SD cards back (not that we needed more pictures of you, but it would been nice to see some animals prior to the cameras taken down).

While I did not get a chance to talk to you… can I offer a couple comments/suggestions in response to some of the content in your explanation.

1) I don’t think its unreasonable for you guys to reach out to the person you reference and find a solution to your concerns. You may find a solution is easier than you think. Yes, it may not be ideal, but with good communication & honesty up front… you may be surprised on what solutions can be found.
2) If #1 is not an option, I suggest you find a new route to your destination. There is a way…. Its not as easy as your current route, but a route that will not force you to trespass (and have the temptation to hunt where your not allowed to hunt).

To expand on the importance of #2…. An animal was poached last year on your current route and there is a high suspicion it was your group with said person you referenced. In addition, there has been several people trespassing, poaching, and even flying drones out there. (Side note: its surprising easy in todays world to find hunters who hunt the area and who are members of Calgary Drone Groups - all of which are only pieces to the puzzle on their own in trying to find out who is who)

Anyways, It’s to the point now where the CO is well aware of the issues/concerns and is now there on a regular basis. I am not saying this is you guys, but there is a heightened sense of awareness of the actions of a few and a strong desire to catch those responsible by said person in your note moving forward.

For me, its always best to be honest and hunt within the rules provided. The love of the hunt should be free of stress for all of us. There are enough things out there (which you will have seen on the SD cards) that leave us looking over our shoulders enough already than to worry about being caught doing something we shouldn't be doing.

Anyways, enough with my attempt at steering you guys one way or another. We are all adults and make choices we have to live with…. I’m just glad you returned my items so we can both move on.

My F/B post has been deleted and I have asked the moderator here to delete your photos off my original post….

And yes…. Any hard feelings I have are gone.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:29 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

About as good an outcome that could have happened.
Sucks on the cards, but they are penny ante compared to both the balance of equipment return and your frame of mind.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 11-03-2021, 03:29 PM

Glad to hear that you got your cams back... Hopefully the heightened CO presence helps to help steer the wayward ones back onto the straight and narrow...
Old 11-03-2021, 03:30 PM

Looks like the meet up behind the woodshed worked!! Lol
Glad you got your things back but not sure it will teach the person much. In my experience, once a thief always a thief when no ones around to keep that person in line....
Old 11-03-2021, 06:44 PM

Excellent.

Glad things went to your satisfaction...
Old 11-03-2021, 07:25 PM

Great news you resolved the issue. I hope that fello learned his lesson.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2021, 08:30 PM

Was it Mel Brooks?

Looks like Mel Brooks.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:54 PM

Was this trespassing in spruce co-op or on cartwrights?
Old 11-04-2021, 09:53 AM

Default Delete pls

If you have solid evidence the man stole some of your gear quit playing games. Call the cops and the person hopefully will be charged like he should be.
Doesn't matter who might know him , if he is a thief he pays the consequences.

Last edited by Ackleyman; 11-04-2021 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Late post
Old 11-04-2021, 10:00 AM

I can't help but doubt that the OP would have had any success in recovering his gear if the thieves had found all of the cameras. Seeing hs own picture and knowing that he could be identified , was likely the only reason he returned the gear.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:22 AM
Banned

Default 10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter View Post
10/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello there, does anybody happen to know what 10/10 means? I am old and not acquainted with this lingo. I do know what 10/4 means thanks to Smoky and the Bandit lol

Last edited by North40Rules; 11-04-2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
Hello there, does anybody happen to know what 10/10 means? I am old and not acquainted with this lingo. I do know what 10/4 means thanks to Smoky and the Bandit lol
10/10 means: all complete/ finished perfect done here aced it
Old 11-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Banned

Default Good On You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisebuck View Post
10/10 means: all complete/ finished perfect done here aced it
Thank you for the education Wisebuck!

To the OP: Really happy this ended to your satisfaction. I know what it's like to be ripped off in the bush, every trail camera I ever bought and hung up in the bush was stolen from me, a very expensive endeavor!

My comment was made in jest. You sir handled this with class and dignity, good on you sir!
Old 11-06-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I can't help but doubt that the OP would have had any success in recovering his gear if the thieves had found all of the cameras. Seeing hs own picture and knowing that he could be identified , was likely the only reason he returned the gear.

Agreed.

If you catch a thief, make sure the message is clear. It won't be tolerated and you'll pay a steep price. Accountability is king.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:57 AM

I still think you should post the name(s). Not only are they trespassers but dirtbag thieves to boot. Little public shaming might do them some good.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk