Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2021, 10:28 PM

Default Whitetail general tag - proof of sex

A friend of mine last year was checked and cautioned (not a fine/charge) by wildlife officer for separating the head from the rest of his buck. He had the tail still attached as a proof of animal species and he tagged it with his general whitetail tag. The head was on the ground beside the rest of his buck as he was just working on it trying to clean it and load it in his vehicle. He already gutted the deer and had removed sex organs while he gutted the animal.

I am a bit confused as to why a hunter must retain proof of sex if the tag used was good for a buck, a female deer or a fawn?
The caution goes on his record from what I understand. The officer supposedly was very nice and polite and there was no other issues whatsoever.

I just do not see the point in the whole thing. Obviously, I could have done the same error in the future if he did not tell me his experience. Therefore I will definitely play safe and retain at least one proof of animal sex regardless of general whitetail tag being used.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonH View Post
Obviously, I could have done the same error in the future if he did not tell me his experience. Therefore I will definitely play safe and retain at least one proof of animal sex regardless of general whitetail tag being used.
I fail to see how you could have done the same error if you had actually read the Hunting Regulations. It states quite plainly that evidence of sex must be left on any big game animal. It doesn't say "in the event of this tag or that tag etc.", it says retain evidence of sex...period. So, there really is no such thing here as "playing safe", the only thing here is - follow the regulations.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:55 PM
Banned

What was the warning for???
Old 10-31-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I am a bit confused as to why a hunter must retain proof of sex if the tag used was good for a buck, a female deer or a fawn?
To this point: up until recent changes (2020), at least in one of the wmu’s I hunt (522), you could only shoot an antlerless whitetail deer during seven days in the season (Nov 1 - Nov 7); I met people who didn’t know while hunting deer in that wmu.

As for the evidence of sex, the regulations are pretty clear that on deer it must be attached until… The rule does not discriminate between types of licenses.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
To this point: up until recent changes (2020), at least in one of the wmu’s I hunt (522), you could only shoot an antlerless whitetail deer during seven days in the season (Nov 1 - Nov 7); I met people who didn’t know while hunting deer in that wmu.

As for the evidence of sex, the regulations are pretty clear that on deer it must be attached until… The rule does not discriminate between types of licenses.
This was in 337. But your example makes perfect sense!
Thanks you
Old 10-31-2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
What was the warning for???
It sounds to me that it was for the head not being attached to the rest of body since other sex organs were already removed
Old 10-31-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
I fail to see how you could have done the same error if you had actually read the Hunting Regulations. It states quite plainly that evidence of sex must be left on any big game animal. It doesn't say "in the event of this tag or that tag etc.", it says retain evidence of sex...period. So, there really is no such thing here as "playing safe", the only thing here is - follow the regulations.
Thank you for your response! I do read and follow the regulations but this just made no sense to me. I honestly taught general tag license was sufficient and I am glad that it was never an issue with me as I always transport home all my deer whole but looking back it was something I obviously did not understand and was making a wrong assumption. It still seems silly but I do acknowledge the fact you stated.
Hopefully others reading this will learn and understand it in the case they perhaps overlooked or misunderstood the point.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:37 PM

Soon we will have just deer tags as some dont identify. Non binary deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Soon we will have just deer tags as some dont identify. Non binary deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol don't give them any ideas for two-spirit animals.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
A friend of mine last year was checked and cautioned (not a fine/charge) by wildlife officer for separating the head from the rest of his buck. He had the tail still attached as a proof of animal species and he tagged it with his general whitetail tag. The head was on the ground beside the rest of his buck as he was just working on it trying to clean it and load it in his vehicle. He already gutted the deer and had removed sex organs while he gutted the animal.

The caution goes on his record from what I understand. The officer supposedly was very nice and polite and there was no other issues whatsoever.

I just do not see the point in the whole thing. Obviously, I could have done the same error in the future if he did not tell me his experience. Therefore I will definitely play safe and retain at least one proof of animal sex regardless of general whitetail tag being used.
There are certain situations in some units where, in theory, you shouldn't have to retain evidence of sex (despite the regulation stating so). However, there is enough ambiguity with dates, seasons, proximity to other units (where was the animal actually harvested) that its good to adhere to the rule as its written and not risk meeting up with a CO who runs things by the book.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

So, in wmu 522, what is the reason for needing proof of sex????
And, yes the regs are very clear. But, what is the reason for this requirement???
Old 11-01-2021, 09:48 AM

Also a lot of the south zones the general tag is only good for antlered because antlerless is on draw
Old 11-01-2021, 10:01 AM

The bottom line is that a person is very fortunate to receive a warning instead of being charged, when they violate a regulation that is clearly explained in the regulations .
Old 11-01-2021, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The bottom line is that a person is very fortunate to receive a warning instead of being charged, when they violate a regulation that is clearly explained in the regulations .
Quote:
It sounds to me that it was for the head not being attached to the rest of body since other sex organs were already removed
There is no regulation that says a head has to be attached to the body.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
There is no regulation that says a head has to be attached to the body.
You are right - the regulation does not say leave the head attached. It says leave evidence of sex, species and class. The head qualifies as such evidence and it is your choice which you remove and which you keep - but you must keep something that is specified in the regulations as such evidence (and it is quite clearly outlined what constitutes such evidence.)
Old 11-01-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
You are right - the regulation does not say leave the head attached. It says leave evidence of sex, species and class. The head qualifies as such evidence and it is your choice which you remove and which you keep - but you must keep something that is specified in the regulations as such evidence (and it is quite clearly outlined what constitutes such evidence.)
Depending on where you are hunting however, as in 518, etc. All you would need is a tail as a general white tail can be either antelered or antlerless.
In the case of a supplimental however , you get into a gray area so I would keep evidence of sex in that car.
Cat
Old 11-01-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Exactly, the hunter has the choice of multiple options, that satisfy the legal requirements, and the regulations explain those options, if a person bothers to read them.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Depending on where you are hunting however, as in 518, etc. All you would need is a tail as a general white tail can be either antelered or antlerless.
In the case of a supplimental however , you get into a gray area so I would keep evidence of sex in that car.
Cat
Evidence oF sex does not prove antlered or antlerless.
Evidence of sex should be taken out of the regulations for antlered or horned game. There is no purpose for it.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Evidence oF sex does not prove antlered or antlerless.
Evidence of sex should be taken out of the regulations for antlered or horned game. There is no purpose for it.
Agree as well, even on a suplimental tag , the antlers need to be there for sure to be legal .
Cat
Old 11-01-2021, 12:35 PM

Maybe they are concerned about an animal shot in 1 zone that closely borders another zone that has different regs for the zone.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Maybe they are concerned about an animal shot in 1 zone that closely borders another zone that has different regs for the zone.
And in what case would proof of sex be needed?
Old 11-01-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Most if not all the 100 zones.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
Most if not all the 100 zones.
Really? There is separate tags for male and female deer?
Old 11-01-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Some areas open early for buck only well others are either sex WMU 330 for example

Personally I don’t see what is so hard about leaving evidence of sex or head attached
Old 11-01-2021, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Some areas open early for buck only well others are either sex WMU 330 for example

Personally I don’t see what is so hard about leaving evidence of sex or head attached
There is absolutely no buck tags available in Alberta No bull, doe or cow tags either.
However, there are antlered and antlerless, or either tags available.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
There is absolutely no buck tags available in Alberta No bull, doe or cow tags either.
However, there are antlered and antlerless, or either tags available.
Yes well aware it’s antlered or antler less or either sex or calf in some cases for tags/seasons and the regs still use evidence of sex as a requirement to show this or the head
Old 11-01-2021, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Yes well aware it’s antlered or antler less or either sex or calf in some cases for tags/seasons and the regs still use evidence of sex as a requirement to show this or the head
They only use the head. Evidence of sex is useless.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
To make sure the head matches the meat of course.
Think of this... if you hike back into an area and shoot a big buck/elk/moose they want to make sure you took the big body with you too, and didn't substitute in a small female to haul less meat out.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:09 PM

Some of you guys really need to read page 41 of the regs. there is some really bad advice in this thread that is going to get some of you a 500$ fine and a mandatory court appearance for following it.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
They only use the head. Evidence of sex is useless.
Page 29 general regs number 9 read it and page 41