Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2021, 02:46 PM

Default Game Processing shout out.

https://www.rickswildgame.ca/

This fella is just starting up a new operation in Okotoks. I had him do up my whitetail and its by far the best job I have had done in a long time. Everything vacuum packed well, labeled, frozen and boxed up. The jerky is great, sausage exactly what I expected (and almost never receive).
Rick is just opening up his new facility, its clean, modern, state of the art and he's a pretty personable guy to boot.
I thought the price was reasonable, although hunters often express dismay at processing costs, I thought he was reasonable ymmv.
Anyway, the guy is just getting his shop in operation, I was extremely pleased and thought I would let the community know.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:00 PM

He had Paolini's in Calgary. Not sure what happened but I guess they are relocated.

I used them a few times and found them to be great! Glad he is back in business. I do my own now, but if I didn't, that's the guy I would take it to as well. Glad you had a good experience.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:11 PM

apparently he sold the Calgary business and went into the food truck business and has 4 or 5 event type units like you would find at the Stampede and other big events. I guess he's looking for something to stay busy in the winter so getting back into the butcher business.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:49 PM

Rick had his shop open in Aldersyde last year already. He has moved bays now and is at the very end of the building. I dropped my deer off on Saturday and he gave me a tour of the 4 bays he has now. Hugh cooler with many rails in it for hanging game. There is a rail&winch is right at the bay door so the heavy stuff can be hooked right out of your truck. There is a big room for smoking meat, cutting and wrapping room. Also a large room full of all the spices he uses for the sausages. All the electrical and plumbing is done. Couple more days and he should be able to flick the switch on for full processing.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:36 PM

He’s right beside Rocky isn’t he?

I wonder if they share some space or are direct competitors?
Old 11-01-2021, 08:34 PM

I took a doe in to Rick in Sept. Awesome job and very reasonable
Old 11-02-2021, 05:01 PM

Question But how is the sausage?

How is Rick's for sausage? We used Gour-mart for summer sausage (The Hublet likes mild stuff) until he retired. Two years ago, we had some made at Pincher Creek Meats, and it wasn't that great. Last year we tried Backcountry Butchers and it was awful! Some weird smoke flavour. I douse it with mustard and pickles to cover the taste. I was surprised because I quite like their pepperonis. So, if we get lucky and get some deer, I will drive to Okotoks if this Rick's is any good!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 11-03-2021, 09:22 AM

He is one group of bay's over from Rocky.
They are competition from what I could gather.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:44 AM

Good luck with that !
Better be aware that mass production occurs with his processing and sausage making.
Every morsel counts as weight and you can be assures every piece of fat ,hair blood shot meat or black dried meat goes into the grinder.
You will get whatever went into this weeks batch ., yours and everyone elses,.
It Could have been spoiled or handled improperly (you will not Know) .
Old 11-03-2021, 12:10 PM

We had an elk done up by Ricks in September, he did the same thing, gave us a tour of his shop and the renovations that were being worked on at the time. It looked that he would have a pretty good operation setup once they have everything completed.

Sausages are delicious, if you're going there try the jalapeño cheddar. The roasts were nicely trimmed and everything came packaged quite nicely. We have no complaints and will be using them again.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
He’s right beside Rocky isn’t he?

I wonder if they share some space or are direct competitors?
They are direct competitors. When I took my son's moose to Rocky's on Monday, he said make sure you come to the right door as there have been quite a few mix up's as Rick's is a little closer. Both of them are phone access to get in the gate, Rocky's is the west building, south bays.