Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 06:37 AM

Default Damage control pricing

I have a dilemma..I did some coyote snaring close to home last year just to keep my self occupied and try and help out the local pheasant population. I didnt do my regular distant long line of 3 baits where its a 40 mile round trip doe to low fur price .The landowners at those spots now have coyote problems in their cow herds and are wanting me back this coming winter.I don't mind donating free labor of catching these coyotes but At current prices I can't cover even my fuel cost . What would be a fair charge to them for my efforts ?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM

I’ve talked to a number of trappers who have been approached by farmers and acreage owners with the same predicament. The said that the owners all offered and agreed to pay $100 per coyote. I guess with the price of calves and the emotional price of losing a pet it makes sense.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
I’ve talked to a number of trappers who have been approached by farmers and acreage owners with the same predicament. The said that the owners all offered and agreed to pay $100 per coyote. I guess with the price of calves and the emotional price of losing a pet it makes sense.
Wow...takes my breath away !! I know calves are pricey now ,but I just can't ask that much ,I mean I'm catching 75 -80 dogs in these 3 spots ,that would be like in the good old days as for the money .. I thank you for your comment ,it does give me somewhere to start at .

Old 03-26-2024, 02:09 PM

I fully understand the issue at hand and can appreciate h-380's position.If it was me,I would set up and help the guys out for nothing in hopes it helped to secure access down the road.Farmers talk, trust me.If somebody does something to them word gets around fast, but if you help them out at their time of need it will open more doors .But that's just me!
Old 03-26-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
I fully understand the issue at hand and can appreciate h-380's position.If it was me,I would set up and help the guys out for nothing in hopes it helped to secure access down the road.Farmers talk, trust me.If somebody does something to them word gets around fast, but if you help them out at their time of need it will open more doors .But that's just me!
Good call , I've snared their places for 6 years now ,1 offered fuel last year for me to come the last week of the season. Summer like weather but I went and setup and caught 3 in 2 checks .. access isn't a problem ,friendship isn't a problem and I don't mind helping out either but would like to at least cover some expense ..thanks for the reply .

Old 03-26-2024, 06:18 PM

Just spit balling...
Charge them what you'd expect to sell the coyotes for in a year it is worth your while?
Old 03-26-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Just spit balling...

Charge them what you'd expect to sell the coyotes for in a year it is worth your while?
I'd be happy to sell them for what I got this year....I've seen what coyotes did to these calves ,ass eaten out and still alive .. I'm a rancher myself and just can't let that happen if I can help .

Old 03-27-2024, 01:15 AM

Local mechanics' rate, minimum 2 hours; generally under damage control license pelts are nonrecoverable due to working offseasons and most do not have registered lines to dispose of carcasses afterwards which may incur additional costs

for operating might want to include corporate insurance, accidental (case u get hurt, they get bit), first aid certification mandates and corporate vehicle insurance
Old 03-27-2024, 09:08 AM

Default Run it like a business

I don't trap coyotes, but I trap Feral hogs as a business. You need to calculate all of your cost (fuel, snares, wear and tear on you vehicle(s), insurance for those items etc.) then you need to count your time (what would you give someone else to do the job, hourly). If you feel thats fair. Thats what you ask for, if they feel thats too high, you have a couple of options. explain your costs or don't do the trapping as it is costing you money.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I'd be happy to sell them for what I got this year....I've seen what coyotes did to these calves ,ass eaten out and still alive .. I'm a rancher myself and just can't let that happen if I can help .

Maybe do some bartering with the producers. Trade you time for Beef??

BW
Old 03-27-2024, 10:35 AM

Beef is good ,but I butcher 3 of my own each year for personal and family use, got lots of that ...

Old 03-27-2024, 10:53 AM

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited by gascott; 03-27-2024 at 10:54 AM. Reason: double post
Old 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM

I do damage control for MD and also private farmers. For MD it’s so much per hour, plus so much a km. Private I have a set up fee of 150 and 100 per animal I’m dealing with.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:15 AM

I know if it was around our farm, I would probably just do a handshake deal for fuel (or a bit of cash to cover fuel) and a dinner or drink here and there. I get no one wants to lose money, but seems things have a way of going full circle and those same guys will be the ones who'll come help get that last 1/2 section off when your behind in fall and tell you dinner and a couple beers after the snow flies is payment enough. Just my thoughts, I get circumstances are different everywhere though
Old 03-28-2024, 07:46 AM

An article in Edmonton Journal this date re: City of Cold Lake paying skunk trapper $130 per trap set and $250 per skunk caught and removed. Interesting trapper comments.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:51 AM

Its sad, us trapper would get upto $125 for coyote that Canada Goose would use for their $2000 parka. Now farmers and ranchers will need to pay trapper at least $100 to save their calves.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
I know if it was around our farm, I would probably just do a handshake deal for fuel (or a bit of cash to cover fuel) and a dinner or drink here and there. I get no one wants to lose money, but seems things have a way of going full circle and those same guys will be the ones who'll come help get that last 1/2 section off when your behind in fall and tell you dinner and a couple beers after the snow flies is payment enough. Just my thoughts, I get circumstances are different everywhere though
Like ...these guys are great people and like you say what comes around goes around ...not looking to make a pile of money just take the edge off the expenses..

Old 03-28-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spentround View Post
An article in Edmonton Journal this date re: City of Cold Lake paying skunk trapper $130 per trap set and $250 per skunk caught and removed. Interesting trapper comments.
Pretty much the going rate. To trap commercially I need to have 5 million liability insurance and full wcb coverage. Various live traps for populated areas and specific traps for different animal species.Fuel and wear and tear on a vehicle nowadays is not cheap.