Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2023, 05:45 PM

Default Here is how I paint my baits

If you guys want to watch(I don't want to flood the forum with video links) how I paint my last bait go check it out. I posted about this pattren already but here are some shots of it on a rattle bait for winter I also just clear coated a perch rattle bait that I will post up once it is cure.

https://youtu.be/CxRd0EZ5w4s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230922_064153.jpg (36.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 20230922_064018.jpg (34.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20230922_064055.jpg (31.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 20230922_064112.jpg (31.9 KB, 74 views)

YouTube https://youtube.com/channel/UCCODzzgYp2gHz16OTpj5wYQ
Old 09-23-2023, 08:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Very talented people out there.

If I painted, built my own lures I would cry when it got the first scratch, kinda like a new vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-23-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

If I painted, built my own lures I would cry when it got the first scratch, kinda like a new vehicle

Oh you could do it well enough to catch fish

Fish are far less picky about paint jobs than fisherman. I have caught tons of fish testing unpainted prototypes that are either white resin or sealed wood. So even a complete hack job can get the job done with a decent lure. I only stepped up my painting to appease customers

Gbuss you are off to a good start(I actually checked out some of your other stuff too) and odds are you will only get better. I don’t know if you have explored the different tricks with transparents and pearls. There is some neat things that can be done through layer or using finial scale patterns to blend a pattern.

The patterns I posted in your other thread are some of my basic ones but they catch fish and customers(musky guy ordered that batch)like them. I do have more complex patterns as well using some of the tricks above.

If you do get into blending layers more I recommend heat setting each layer it will save you grief

Either way looking good and really it’s an artistic thing so you really need to just find what tricks fit your style. There really isn’t a right or wrong style either and you just need to find what fits your style.
Old 09-23-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Oh you could do it well enough to catch fish

Fish are far less picky about paint jobs than fisherman. I have caught tons of fish testing unpainted prototypes that are either white resin or sealed wood. So even a complete hack job can get the job done with a decent lure. I only stepped up my painting to appease customers

Gbuss you are off to a good start(I actually checked out some of your other stuff too) and odds are you will only get better. I don’t know if you have explored the different tricks with transparents and pearls. There is some neat things that can be done through layer or using finial scale patterns to blend a pattern.

The patterns I posted in your other thread are some of my basic ones but they catch fish and customers(musky guy ordered that batch)like them. I do have more complex patterns as well using some of the tricks above.

If you do get into blending layers more I recommend heat setting each layer it will save you grief

Either way looking good and really it’s an artistic thing so you really need to just find what tricks fit your style. There really isn’t a right or wrong style either and you just need to find what fits your style.
No I get it only have about 200 to 250 baits painted so far. Just finished up a batch of 20 in perch pattren. I think they turned out pretty good. Also I don't sell my baits for a arm and a led like some custom painters do. Pretty much on par with the market. The perch I did took 6 diffren colors to achieve the pateren.

Gbuss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230923_103231.jpg (25.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 20230923_103254.jpg (25.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20230923_103311.jpg (27.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20230923_103403.jpg (13.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20230923_103445.jpg (14.5 KB, 36 views)

Old 09-23-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post
No I get it only have about 200 to 250 baits painted so far. Just finished up a batch of 20 in perch pattren. I think they turned out pretty good. Also I don't sell my baits for a arm and a led like some custom painters do. Pretty much on par with the market. The perch I did took 6 diffren colors to achieve the pateren.

Gbuss
Pretty sure that is the pattern on your Facebook page and it will do the trick for sure
Old 09-23-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Pretty sure that is the pattern on your Facebook page and it will do the trick for sure
It is. One of the reasons I bought these blanks is because they naturly stand up when on bottom and dont fall on their side.

Gbuss

Old 09-23-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post
It is. One of the reasons I bought these blanks is because they naturly stand up when on bottom and dont fall on their side.

Gbuss
I have my hands full right now expanding my lure stuff and shifting into hunting season but come spring if you are still going at this we should talk

I am not far away if you are up for some kayak fishing and a BS about lures get in touch with me in the spring.
Old 09-23-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I have my hands full right now expanding my lure stuff and shifting into hunting season but come spring if you are still going at this we should talk

I am not far away if you are up for some kayak fishing and a BS about lures get in touch with me in the spring.
You bet

Old 09-25-2023, 10:32 AM

I've always wondered if it is a good idea to paint lures exactly like the real counterpart, since the real thing is trying to camouflage with countershading etc. Wouldn't it make sense to paint the top white and bottom dark, so that it is visible and resembles a dying fish? Some highly successful lures have insanely unrealistic look. I have no idea which way it should go and not enough data to back up either side.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

best part of making your own!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-30-2023, 12:55 PM

Some more pattrens i have painted. Man 8 love doing this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231022_122246.jpg (17.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20231022_123356.jpg (20.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20231022_122824.jpg (17.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20231022_113439.jpg (25.3 KB, 33 views)