Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-09-2023, 04:03 PM

Default McGregor Lake CLOSED ???

Was hoping someone can confirm this. I was told that McGregor has shut down the lake to boating and /or launching due to the hazardous low levels. I know Newell has chained off there boat launch due to this. Anyone confirm?

Last edited by roper1; 08-09-2023 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:19 PM

I just call Kinbrook PP at Newell. They said the boat launch is open but do not recommend launching boats
Old 08-09-2023, 08:42 PM

One half is open but there is a 3 foot drop at the end and then large boulders and a gravel bar withing 6 inches of surface. You can launch an inflatable or maybe a hovercraft.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
One half is open but there is a 3 foot drop at the end and then large boulders and a gravel bar withing 6 inches of surface. You can launch an inflatable or maybe a hovercraft.
Would I be able to launch my fishing kayak or is not safe? I was at Crawling today and its bad there to. Might be the end of the season for alot of people.....
Old 08-09-2023, 09:38 PM

A kayak should be OK at the extreme right side of the ramps.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:54 AM

I was at McGregor on Aug 4, and I saw a large Mastercraft ski boat being pulled out of the water. I asked how the ramp was, and he said a little rough, but he didn't have any troubles. He was in the south lane of the ramp. There were other boats out and about.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:21 AM

Any other report on Crawling Valley boat launch? Will be going out there in another week from now. I have a 17ft V-Hull. All info and update would be appreciated
Old 08-14-2023, 04:16 PM

still using launch at mcgregor
Old 08-14-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
still using launch at mcgregor
Thanks for the update!!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 08-15-2023, 11:08 AM

I drove by the boat launch on Sunday, August 13th after shooting at Milo. The launch is operational and the water level actually looks decent.

I will say the launch area was quite busy. There were alot of boats already on the water and as I drove back to Calgary I saw a number of trucks towing boats east on the highway. I would infer that alot of people are choosing this lake given the low water levels elsewhere.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Any other report on Crawling Valley boat launch? Will be going out there in another week from now. I have a 17ft V-Hull. All info and update would be appreciated
CVR office: (403) 641-4095

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-15-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
CVR office: (403) 641-4095
We called the office and the young lady said that there was about 2 ft of water in the channel going in and out of the marina. Not sure how accurate that is but that is low. My sonar usually reads at least 5 ft. Then again my sonar is close to a ft under the water. If it's that low could be a challenge launching and loading. Will have to use the truck and not the motorhome. Wonder what the original launch is like? The one that goes out to the reservoir and not in the marina.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
We called the office and the young lady said that there was about 2 ft of water in the channel going in and out of the marina. Not sure how accurate that is but that is low. My sonar usually reads at least 5 ft. Then again my sonar is close to a ft under the water. If it's that low could be a challenge launching and loading. Will have to use the truck and not the motorhome. Wonder what the original launch is like? The one that goes out to the reservoir and not in the marina.
We generally launch there, stay to the east side. Retrieve in the marina but might not if it stays low. One challenge might be a lot less area to fish, the west side has that gravel bed extending into the lake. The whole east side around the islands might be too shallow. Hope the levels start to improve as the irrigators subside. PIA

Old 08-17-2023, 12:48 AM

Was at Crawling Valley on the 16th. Swimming beach was really low.

Launched in the marina without issues. Boat popped off the trailer as it usually would.
The inlet was low ..... really low. Took a couple of pics of 2.6ft and 2.9ft but of course, once the phone gets set down we go over a couple of short 2.2ft sections. With the motor tilted up there was no issue. I would not want to have to pass by another boat in the inlet.

Daughter caught this little fella in about 20 fow.

Interesting note. When we stopped for lunch, we set our jigging rods in the rod holders while we ate. Her end of the boat was in about 10 fow and mine was in about 15. She caught another perch on a 1/4 oz jig and switched over to a 1/16 oz jig. She caught another half dozen or so perch and a couple smallish walleye. Two of the perch would have been keepers if we were keeping.

I have to say it was a real nice day on the lake. Wednesday was a relatively cool day with temps in the mid/high 20's and there was a slight breeze. We didn't see a ski boat until late afternoon and didn't see a single wake boat. Maybe 10 fishing boats scattered around the lake so it was a real quiet day.
Old 08-17-2023, 05:25 PM

Gonna do a drive by tomorrow (Saturday) and check it out. Heard from a guy at work that the level today at CVR launch was way down and could be ramp edge. He talked to someone in the office and they said maybe 2ft in the channel. I will take some pics and try and post or I can text to someone who can post em? Not good for the south reservoirs. Wonder how the rest that are north of Calgary or Red Deer are doing?
Old 08-17-2023, 05:37 PM

rivers.alberta.ca

Old 08-21-2023, 08:45 PM

We were there Sunday. You can launch & retrieve on the south part of the launch. It's a ways down to the water. I went & stood by the water, and could barely see over the edge of shore, I'd guess lake down 4-5 feet.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
We were there Sunday. You can launch & retrieve on the south part of the launch. It's a ways down to the water. I went & stood by the water, and could barely see over the edge of shore, I'd guess lake down 4-5 feet.
I live on the south end of McGregor. i would say at least 10 feet or more down here.Lowest i have seen it in twenty years or more.