Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2021, 04:25 PM

Default Crossing Zones and Tagging

Quick hypothetical question that came to mind as I was driving around looking for a spot to setup for the evening. If someone was hunting close to a WMU border where on one side, whitetail supplemental tags are valid, and the other side they are not... if a doe is shot on the side where they are valid and the doe runs across the border, does the deer get tagged with a supplemental tag or your general whitetail tag?
Old 11-03-2021, 04:28 PM

Call it in to RAP, they can authorize use of your supp tag and will have record of the conversation. No call or no service, you’d better use your general.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sittn Duck View Post
Quick hypothetical question that came to mind as I was driving around looking for a spot to setup for the evening. If someone was hunting close to a WMU border where on one side, whitetail supplemental tags are valid, and the other side they are not... if a doe is shot on the side where they are valid and the doe runs across the border, does the deer get tagged with a supplemental tag or your general whitetail tag?
The animal gets tagged where you shot it not where it died. Don’t call RAP, you’d be wasting their time.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:17 PM

Could be wrong...but isn't there a 300 yard buffer zone?

If I am wrong, please disregard....
Old 11-03-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
The animal gets tagged where you shot it not where it died. Don’t call RAP, you’d be wasting their time.
So are you saying to drag the dead animal Back to the wmu where you shot it?
Or would you rather tag I immediately when you get to the animal?

The regulations are to immediately tag the animal, which means you’d be tagging it in the wrong zone.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
So are you saying to drag the dead animal Back to the wmu where you shot it?
Or would you rather tag I immediately when you get to the animal?

The regulations are to immediately tag the animal, which means you’d be tagging it in the wrong zone.
I think he meant if the animal was shot in a particular zone, even if it dies and tagged in a different zone it ran into it is still good.
I would drop a marker where I was standing and where the aniimall was when I shot it just to be safe.
Cat
Old 11-03-2021, 08:52 PM

If you are stopped you better be able to prove where it was shot, if you can no issues
Old 11-03-2021, 10:45 PM

There are thousands of what ifs that could be debated.

Follow the regulations, use some common sence and if you have a clear conscience, forget about about asking people on the internet what their interpretation of the situation is.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:37 AM

My guess is if you are tracking an animal, wounded or not, you are actively hunting it. Why risk the legal exposure. I’d make the call, for the record.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:52 AM
Banned

If there’s some sort of investigation for whatever reason, the authorities will use where the gut pile is. If it’s 50 yards into the wrong zone my guess is that they’d give you the benefit of the doubt. If it’s half a km in that’d be a hard sell.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
If there’s some sort of investigation for whatever reason, the authorities will use where the gut pile is. If it’s 50 yards into the wrong zone my guess is that they’d give you the benefit of the doubt. If it’s half a km in that’d be a hard sell.
They will also use a blood trail so flag it start to finish

My opinion I would try to have a good buffer before pulling the trigger on my supplemental doe and save the hassle. But things happen and deer go farther then planned at times

I hunt in an area where 1 WMU is supplemental and the other WMU is not and from talking to the CO people trying to use there supplemental in the wrong WMU can be a problem. He is in the area often and this is something he is always looking for

So if you have a supplemental doe go down in the wrong WMU after running across the border expect to prove it if a CO arrives
Old 11-04-2021, 05:50 AM

And if you fire a second shot to finish the animal, it had better be in the wmu where the tag s valid. As to any type of buffer zone, there is none listed n the regulations, so don't count on an officer giving you the benefit of the doubt.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:26 AM

I should be clear what I meant by buffer is make sure the deer is a decent distance within the WMU so it should go down within the WMU with the supplemental season

Like mentioned above there is no grey area when it comes to the regs and boarders
Old 11-04-2021, 07:04 AM

Why do we worry about stuff like this? I’ve spent my life hunting within site of international borders, national park boundaries, reservations, unhuntable private land etc. Many WMU boundaries have much more prominent barriers between them. Don’t over think this stuff.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 11-04-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:09 AM

I'd say the odds of this are highly unlikely IMO, if it were me I'd go hunting and figure it out IF it ever happened.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:58 AM

So two years ago I came across two guys on the road. I stopped to ask how it was going. They had chased a wounded moose from 404 into 308 where it died almost within sight of the road. I could see the blood trail in the snow where it had crossed. They were on their way back to the truck to call a CO. So crossing zones can happen.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:50 PM

Default Don’t over think this stuff" very true"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Why do we worry about stuff like this? I’ve spent my life hunting within site of international borders, national park boundaries, reservations, unhuntable private land etc. Many WMU boundaries have much more prominent barriers between them. Don’t over think this stuff.
OK good to know Don’t over think this stuff.I like it
Old 11-05-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Could be wrong...but isn't there a 300 yard buffer zone?

If I am wrong, please disregard....
Is this true? This would make a difference for those who float rivers that are the border of wmu's
Old 11-05-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief27 View Post
Is this true? This would make a difference for those who float rivers that are the border of wmu's
Not true
Old 11-05-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It’s mostly hypothetical and fun to ponder. Sometimes the pondering will help us to make rational decisions if it happens to us.

Here’s a possible situation. I have hunting permission on 1/2 section bordered on 3 sides by private off limits land and the western fence line is on the WMU boundary. I’m gonna be very careful with my shots but what if that elk wanders a bit after the shot and dies on the other side?

After reading this thread I think I’d call the CO and report it before moving the carcass. A simple phone call could avert a big hassle.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:02 PM

My 2 cents, an animal shot at/wounded does not apply. Where it dies it must be tagged and the WMU regs apply in that location.
Old 11-05-2021, 03:35 PM

Default Resolved

Found some closure here... my father's friend is a CO and the question was thrown his way. Long story short, if the supplemental tag is used and you're approached by an officer, you're likely going to need to provide proof via a blood trail.