Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-02-2021, 06:50 PM

Default 2 cow elk tags.

Trying to wrap my head around the fact that the gov gives out 2 cow tag to a few hunters instead of 1 to many... It make no sense to me. Please explain.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:55 PM

that would be for the cull that they do at the suffield base
Old 11-02-2021, 07:15 PM

Red face

It is usually in zones where the issue is too many animals but not enough hunting access granted. So instead of having twice as many hunters bothering and getting no’s from land owners, and getting frustrated or twice as many hunters wandering the woods with guns they issue two tags to each hunter.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:27 AM

wish they would do that in more places
Old 11-03-2021, 08:43 AM

In areas where hunting pressure is high, having twice as many hunters in the area , could create safety issues, and in areas of private land, the landowners don't want to deal with twice as many people.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:44 AM

I’m guessing you’re referring to suffield, the reason for 2 tags for 1 hunter is twofold. First it lowers the amount of hunters in an area making it safer for the hunters as well as a more likely successful hunt because there isn’t twice as many guys chasing them around. Second there are harvest targets and realistically not everyone is a good hunter, doubling up good hunters chances of taking 2 helps them reach that target.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I’m guessing you’re referring to suffield, the reason for 2 tags for 1 hunter is twofold. First it lowers the amount of hunters in an area making it safer for the hunters as well as a more likely successful hunt because there isn’t twice as many guys chasing them around. Second there are harvest targets and realistically not everyone is a good hunter, doubling up good hunters chances of taking 2 helps them reach that target.
not sure how the government know how are good and poor hunters...
Old 11-04-2021, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
not sure how the government know how are good and poor hunters...
They don’t need to know, give 1/2 the number of hunters the opportunity to hunt and you’ll end up with elk that haven’t been pressured so much and therefore aren’t as difficult to kill. The good hunters will get their elk far easier and the less skilled or physically challenged have a far better chance to get lucky. I’ve hunted heavily pressured animals and ones that don’t see many people and the less pressured ones are easier to kill every time, sure I’ll still get them if they’re heavily pressured but not as consistently because there are a lot more factors you can’t control.