Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 03:55 PM

Default Permission

Ah November, the season we rural people are overwhelmed by the Cityots. You need permission to hunt private property, no way around it, posted or not. Just got back from a little job I'm doing West of Sundre. I heard a shot and the land owner went to investigate, Turned out to be a couple of guys skinning out an elk in a neighbors pasture. "We don't need permission", now they have a court date and no elk.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-02-2021, 03:59 PM

Funny how that works eh?

Just a note though, it's not always us citiots that trespass. Having lived both rural and urban there's idiots from both locations.

Hopefully these fellows don't repeat their activities.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:04 PM

I find it quite the opposite where I hunt, most of the hunting without permission issues are from rural folks, who live in the area or are people who have ties to the rural dwellers, but wouldn’t be referred to as neighbours.
Then there’s the subtle intimidation to the landowner when things go south.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-02-2021, 05:08 PM

I would say equal portions of city & rural idiots out there when it comes to hunting without permission. What's sad is their mentality that thinks it is ok to shoot first, figure the rest out later.

More need the result Grizz is talking about. Confiscation of game, guns, gear & a court date.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:28 PM

The two trucks that rolled right past our truck into the field the other evening were local guys and NOT the land owner. one drove right up to where my partner was set up behind a bale and asked him what he was doing!
We told the land owner about it the other day, and nope they did not speak with him, he does know the vehicles though.
Cat
Old 11-02-2021, 05:30 PM

I tend to have more problems with 3rd generation homesteader than city folk. They tell me all the time that their granddaddy hunted my land long before I showed up and it’s almost a family right to be on it. If they where more respectable to me they could be. There’s a few city guys come out and hunt, they did it right.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:02 PM

There are hunters and then there are idiots pretending to be hunters city or rural. I’ve seen my fair share of local red necks being total asshats… usually in a black dodge dually.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:43 PM

when I ask, for permission I let the land owner know if I'm allowed to hunt , that I park at the land owners gate to the field, then walking into there field, I have a sled to load up the deer if I do shoot one, so no tire marks in the field, I close the gate if thats how I find it, most of the land owner I talk to, say Happy Hunting, thanks again land owners for allowing me to hunt.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I find it quite the opposite where I hunt, most of the hunting without permission issues are from rural folks, who live in the area or are people who have ties to the rural dwellers, but wouldn’t be referred to as neighbours.
Then there’s the subtle intimidation to the landowner when things go south.

This 100%. I'd bet 80% of trespassing, etc violations during hunting seasons live within 50k of the land they're trespassing on.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:40 PM

Simple solution … don’t ask permission! I never ask permission to hunt farmland anymore.
Why would I want to try and communicate with someone who automatically assumes I am an idiot?
I used to do custom application work for the Wheat pool back when it was a thing and believe me when I say this. City dwellers don’t have a lock on being idiots. They are in all walks of life including down on the farm.

No sir, life is too short to deal with all that grief, worrying about crossing the wrong fence line and worrying if bubba is in a bad mood on opening day. I just avoid it altogether and stick to crown land . No drama no stress and no sucking up to someone who is annoyed by my presence in the first place.
Happy hunting
Old 11-03-2021, 12:15 AM

this year I was thanked a couple of times for asking for permission. Its the only respectful course of action. The peace of mind that comes from it makes the sport that much more enjoyable. The little bit of authority that comes with it keeps the competitors at bay, and when there are other parties scouting the same set, its the only advantage one can have. We foster connections with some of the locals in our hunt area, who always seem to know who is who and where we can contact landowners. I prefer a visit to the home over the phone, unless the dog says otherwise.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:52 AM

A fellow that I shoot skeet with asked me if I could help him out by removing some mule deer that were eating his garden and shrubs. That was a few years ago, and myself and myself and a couple of friends have taken three mule deer off of the property, and this year , we will likely take another mule deer, and possibly a whitetail or two. We came out twice last year , only to see trucks leaving the property 10 minutes before legal time, and the landowner assured me, that nobody else had permission. I set up a trailcam and showed him pictures, and he went for a drive,and found the vehicle a few miles away, so it was a local, not someone from the city. This fall We chained off the township road access, and hopefully the trespassing ends.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
This 100%. I'd bet 80% of trespassing, etc violations during hunting seasons live within 50k of the land they're trespassing on.
have to agree ^^^^^^
Old 11-03-2021, 06:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Ah November, the season we rural people are overwhelmed by the Cityots. You need permission to hunt private property, no way around it, posted or not. Just got back from a little job I'm doing West of Sundre. I heard a shot and the land owner went to investigate, Turned out to be a couple of guys skinning out an elk in a neighbors pasture. "We don't need permission", now they have a court date and no elk.

Grizz
Idiots don’t only live in cities....just saying.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-03-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
From the responses it seems like the rural idiot is your problem.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:27 AM

I get a kick out of the NASCAR laps done around our farm half section this time of year.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:38 AM

Kinda like the 5 clowns from Calgary who screwed everyone’s land access for the rest of this year in our area! And apparently it wasn’t the first time they pulled this shat, but yet it’s always the rural folk who are in the wrong. I remember another fella a few years ago that decided he didn’t like walking so he rode his quad around cutting the fences to hunt Antelope, there are some real stellar fellas out there. My post a couple weeks ago about “access denied” got deleted, apparently one of the guys has friends on this site and must have gotten his feelings hurt.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Idiots don’t only live in cities....just saying.
I have met idjits hunting that live in towns , in the country, on farms, everywhere.
There is no monopoly on it, fir sure
Cat
Old 11-03-2021, 08:30 AM

Rifle season is a permission mess no matter who it is. There has been people from all over pulling all kinds of stupid crap over the years from "who are you?! Do you have permission?!" "Well I'm the landowner so yes" to people putting panels across road allowances and mad landowners giving permission for someone else's land.
Many guys from the city are nice honest folk and many are entitled pr!cks, most locals are good but some think they own the world.
One of the best and nicest hunters I have ever met is from the city and the worst poaching trespassing guy around is a local so don't pin it on one group or other.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-03-2021, 09:07 AM

It has been established that there is good and bad in all walks of life , I guess that is something that will always remain a constant.
Closed Thread