Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-27-2016, 12:25 PM

Default Building a 22 hornet

As my search for a LH 22 hornet hit an all time low this week, I'm now looking at another option. A Charles Dahley mini mouser model 85 action, then building a 22 k hornet from that action. My question, has one here had or know of anyone who built a 22 hornet before? It's a very small, very odd and almost obsolete cartridge. I'm wondering what kind of issues happened because it's a smaller rimmed cartridge. Any info would be nice. And I'm not interested in loading my 222 or 223 down to hornet specs. I want the hornet it's self.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:37 PM

I have built 22 Hornets. Single shots, no problem. If you are going to try to build a LH repeater save your self a bunch of effort, time, aggravation and cost. Pop for the cost of a Browning LH A bolt off of gunbroker in the U.S. and have Prophet River bring it up and be done with it.

It will easily cost you $2500 to build one from a left hand bolt action and getting the mag to work right may or may not ever happen.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:22 PM

I would say that sounds like solid advice. I've got a rh browning abolt I'm hornet it's a slick unit. I would be looking at buying/building a falling block of some sort of I was you. Lots of rugers, martinis, and low walls in 22 hornet kicking around.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper