Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Banned

Default Short notice, shooting trap today, south Calgary

I know it's very short notice but my son and I are headed to the AHEIA range in Dewinton to do a couple of rounds or trap. Just got a new to me shotgun and I want to see how it works.

I checked the website and didn't see anything about closures for today so we should be there by about noon. I'm tall with a beard, and my son is pretty much my shoulder height. If you're there, come say hi!
Old 03-26-2016, 06:44 PM
Banned

Didn't meet anyone new from the boards, although not surprising with such short notice.

First round for my son, he got a 13 using his normal set up. The I switched him to the barrel from my 870 as I have a skeet choke installed. Easier and faster swapping over the whole barrel. He jumped to a 19 right away. I think he'll be getting that in his gun for now...

As for me, I had a very slow start in the first round. I got 16/25. Getting used to the new gun, how it shoulders, tracking is a bit different, feels lighter so it's moving a bit quicker and a full choke. I had only ever shot with Mod chokes before as that is what came with the guns. I went 2/10 at the start but really picked it up, only missing one in the next 15.
Second round went a bit better and I ended up with 21/25.

Hopefully next time I'll organize something a little further in advance and get some of you other guys out as well.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:51 PM

Sounds like you guys had a fun time. Congrats on the improvement. Soon your boy will be beating you.

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 03-26-2016, 08:08 PM
Banned

I really hope he is. I did get some new choke tubes so hopefully it'll still be a while before he does, lol. Somehow I doubt it though....
Old 03-26-2016, 09:17 PM

The most important thing, isn't the scores, it's that you are taking your son out to spend quality time shooting together.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 PM
Banned

I couldn't agree more Elk. I'm working out of town, staying in a hotel. He has decided he wants to come with me just so that we can go to the range when I get off of work and shot. He can help sight in his rifle using the handloads that he helped build.
If you couldn't tell, I'm a proud father. Proud that his skills are improving and proud that he has the desire to shoot enough to improve.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I couldn't agree more Elk. I'm working out of town, staying in a hotel. He has decided he wants to come with me just so that we can go to the range when I get off of work and shot. He can help sight in his rifle using the handloads that he helped build.
If you couldn't tell, I'm a proud father. Proud that his skills are improving and proud that he has the desire to shoot enough to improve.
I envy you, as my step sons are not overly interested in shooting, but I have made some head way with one lately. For the most part, I enjoy teaching friends or other range members and their children to shoot , and to hunt. I find their smiles after a shooting or hunting accomplishment to be the most enjoyable reward that there is in our sport.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:35 PM
Banned

Old 03-27-2016, 07:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Oh!....I can tell alright. Everytime that I run into you, your son is at your side and you're glowing with pride. Nice to see.....