Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-23-2016, 08:50 AM

Default Buying Used Help!

Hey Everyone! So I am new to the sport and I found a Remington 597 with small scope in Calgary for sale. The price is right ($150), but I know nothing about purchasing used. My wife would be passing through Calgary this weekend to pick it up, but she knows less then I do (yes she has her PAL!)

What are some questions that I need to ask the seller?
What would she check for visually on the firearm?

Any help would be lovely and appreciated!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 AM

Ask the seller to state in an email the condition of the rifle, approximate round count, marks and bruises, how many magazines go with it etc. Get his PAL number in advance and phone to verify his PAl is current and good. Have him in the email state you can return it if it is not what he claimed it was at his/her expense. At this point you can just have your wife pick it up for you and you can go over it with a fine tooth comb when it gets home. Does the seller have a trader rating somewhere like here or CGN or many other forums out there currently that you could check? Most people selling on the forums are fairly honest and accurate in their description. That being said 150.00 is very low priced and they probably don't sell on forums or it is a bit banged up.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:43 AM

Before you buy a 597 research their history. There is lots of information on this forum about them.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:54 AM

Ya make sure you know when it was made, mine wiche was make in 2014 runs likes top and eats anything, a older one that I borrowed hat failure to eject, stove pipes, even after I took it apart and cleaned it, I've geard lots of ppl have the same problem with the older models
Old 03-23-2016, 10:00 AM

i have been reading up on them. I know they have a feeding issue with certain types of ammo. The only purpose of owning the 597 is for going to the range and shooting some targets. Looking for a few inexpensive firearms for learning.

he is not on the forums, i found it on usedfirearms.ca

Thank you for the help, I have sent him a list of questions.

Being new to this I don't really know what to expect. I know some people will sell garbage i Just need to spend some time learning how to tell what I am getting! (I assume that will come with being around firearms more often and at the range)
Old 03-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux604 View Post
i have been reading up on them. I know they have a feeding issue with certain types of ammo. The only purpose of owning the 597 is for going to the range and shooting some targets. Looking for a few inexpensive firearms for learning.

he is not on the forums, i found it on usedfirearms.ca

Thank you for the help, I have sent him a list of questions.

Being new to this I don't really know what to expect. I know some people will sell garbage i Just need to spend some time learning how to tell what I am getting! (I assume that will come with being around firearms more often and at the range)
it's probably a scam
Old 03-23-2016, 10:49 AM

Lannie, a seller is under no obligation to provide a PAL number as part of a sale. Nor are you required to call it in to the CFP, even if you did, there is no point in doing so.

Not to mention you don't even need to have a license to sell guns in some cases.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:55 AM

a scam if he wouldn't ship and would only sell local?

Anyone know an Efraimh Repato from Calgary?
Old 03-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
a scam if he wouldn't ship and would only sell local?

Anyone know an Efraimh Repato from Calgary?
if you can pick it up you're good to go!l i've had people completely shut down after i said i would pick it up.

i don't buy from that site at all
Old 03-23-2016, 11:10 AM

noted.

I had another friend say it might be a scam too... said the price is way too cheap for it to be a good firearm in good condition. I wouldn't know enough to say differently.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
noted.

I had another friend say it might be a scam too... said the price is way too cheap for it to be a good firearm in good condition. I wouldn't know enough to say differently.
In that case I would STRONGLY suggest you buy from an AO member who has a good trader rating and a large number of trades. At least the guys on here will give you a square shot on the condition and issues with the gun. If you save $50 and get a magnum piece of junk you are going to have a real bad taste in your mouth. There are lots of 597s that come up on here. Cabelas brand new they are only $260 and WSS and Cabelas puts them on sale for $200. Magnum Guns in Lyodminister has one on sale for $229. At least new you get warranty so can send it back if it doesn't work right. You can get a used 4x scope that will do the job for $30.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-23-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
noted.

I had one. Mine was a nice looking gun with a heavy barrel. I ended up giving it away because it was so annoying.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:14 PM

I appreciate your help everyone! This is why I joined the forum to educate myself.

He did respond back and answered all of the questions, also says he is a member of the shooting edge. I will do some more digging on the 597 and maybe look at a savage as well.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
I appreciate your help everyone! This is why I joined the forum to educate myself.

He did respond back and answered all of the questions, also says he is a member of the shooting edge. I will do some more digging on the 597 and maybe look at a savage as well.
The 597 that you contemplate for $150.00 sure sounds like a great deal to those that have no experience with this gun. Ask yourself this: why is he selling it so cheap? It may look nice and the price sure seems attractive. But the frustration that you may encounter isn't worth it, at least in my opinion. A new Savage bolt action is going to cost you a bit more $, but they are very accurate and work well and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it a lot more. Just my 2 bits, but good luck on whatever your choice.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Ask the seller to state in an email the condition of the rifle, approximate round count, marks and bruises, how many magazines go with it etc. Get his PAL number in advance and phone to verify his PAl is current and good. Have him in the email state you can return it if it is not what he claimed it was at his/her expense. At this point you can just have your wife pick it up for you and you can go over it with a fine tooth comb when it gets home. Does the seller have a trader rating somewhere like here or CGN or many other forums out there currently that you could check? Most people selling on the forums are fairly honest and accurate in their description. That being said 150.00 is very low priced and they probably don't sell on forums or it is a bit banged up.
I wouldn't call a used 597 "low priced" at $150. Just a few years ago (4-5) they were selling for $180-$200 brand new with warranty. Being a 597 owner, I have to say that a product as junky as this couldn't possibly hold it's value for long. Buy it if you like, maybe you like the looks of it like I did, but you will regret it in the end. I'll sell you mine for $149 lol.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
I wouldn't call a used 597 "low priced" at $150. Just a few years ago (4-5) they were selling for $180-$200 brand new with warranty. Being a 597 owner, I have to say that a product as junky as this couldn't possibly hold it's value for long. Buy it if you like, maybe you like the looks of it like I did, but you will regret it in the end. I'll sell you mine for $149 lol.
X 100 .. don't ! lol
Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 PM

Noted. Thanks guys... Just trying to find a way to get into the hobby on a very tight budget! I'll keep saving my pennies for a semi-auto savage!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:40 PM

Look at the marlin model 60 that went on the buy sell a few hours ago. I've got one and it's great
Old 03-23-2016, 08:00 PM

i didn't think I had access! I sent Eric a pm!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Lannie, a seller is under no obligation to provide a PAL number as part of a sale. Nor are you required to call it in to the CFP, even if you did, there is no point in doing so.

Not to mention you don't even need to have a license to sell guns in some cases.
Good point, He is buying not selling. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
I have never been interested in that type of 22lr so never realized how low priced they were. On the other hand they must have sold a good number of them as the 597 posts come along on a regular basis. Thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Noted. Thanks guys... Just trying to find a way to get into the hobby on a very tight budget! I'll keep saving my pennies for a semi-auto savage!
Why a semi auto and not a bolt action. Honestly, of all the semi auto 22's that I've owned, the best has been a Savage 6D. It was my wife's grandmother's gun. Made in the 40's. That gun was produced from 1938 to 1968. Super accurate, eats any ammo, never fails. I can vouch that they just don't make them like that nowadays. I shoot it open sights and that gun accounts for more gopher kills than any of the others I own. None of the current semi autos currently made in your price range really turn my crank. If I were you, I'D stick with a bolt gun.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Look at the marlin model 60 that went on the buy sell a few hours ago. I've got one and it's great
This is worth a bump, IMO.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:50 PM

Bolt action... So single shot?!

I have two cooey single shots, but I am looking for a semi auto to shoot with for a change of pace!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:58 PM
Banned

You can have a repeater bolt action but if you already have one I say spend the little extra money and get a ruger 10-22

Great fun little guns with very few complaints

I also have a Marin model 60 they're very accurate
Old 03-24-2016, 08:29 AM

There are some really good semi auto 22 RFs still being produced, the problem is they aren't $200. The Remington 552 Speedmaster ($650), Browning SA ($700), Anschutz and CZ semis ($500) are all reliable, accurate and built to last. They are however $500 and up.

In the Cheap autos I would rate them Savage 64, Marlin, Norinco SA -20 (clone of the Browning SA but $200 instead of $700) Remington 597, then Ruger 10/22.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:10 AM

I was very ignorant to the price of firearms before last month when I actually started looking.

I was hoping the Spruce Grove show would have something simple in my price range, however the 597 was the only firearm I saw that was around that price.

While many of you own $500.00+ firearms that just won't be a reality for me for a while. Should I switch my sights to a russian SKS? I have shot one before and I do enjoy it!

I appreciate all of your opinions and help. Being new it's hard to establish exactly what I need and what I am looking for.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:24 AM

Have you considered an older model .22 from the 60's and '70's.?
Winchester, Mossberg, Browning etc made some great guns in both auto and bolt action in those days and many can be found in the $200.00- $300.00 range.
I have a Mossberg 340BA that I wouldn't trade for a truckload of Rem 597 's.
I got it off this site for $175.00. Just a thought.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I was very ignorant to the price of firearms before last month when I actually started looking.

I was hoping the Spruce Grove show would have something simple in my price range, however the 597 was the only firearm I saw that was around that price.

While many of you own $500.00+ firearms that just won't be a reality for me for a while. Should I switch my sights to a russian SKS? I have shot one before and I do enjoy it!

I appreciate all of your opinions and help. Being new it's hard to establish exactly what I need and what I am looking for.
Only way to learn is to do what you are doing, ask question and do some research. As to the SKS, would not be my first pick, ammo is a lot more money if budget is a consideration, and there are a lot less places you can shoot one safely.

A 22 is the perfect first gun to learn to shoot well. You can afford to burn enough ammo to get really good and they are relatively quiet. Just keep looking for a 22 that is in your price range and a repeater. You will find one fairly quickly.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:58 AM

Thanks Dean!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:55 AM

Be VERY careful on that particular site for scams of all kinds. It may be legit or he may just want your PAL number for a future scam. I was interested in two different guns at two different times and both ended up being a scam. The gun was listed from Edmonton, his address was from Calgary and he was very pushy about getting my PAL. Found the same pics from 2 other adds.