Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-21-2016, 08:52 PM

Default Score clay loads.

So I picked up a few cases of Score taget loads. Just another great product from these guys. I have now switched entirely to Score shot shells. Just thought I would share this positive experience.I would recommend trying their products out, if you haven't already. Did I mention they are a Canadian company and very reasonably priced!
Old 03-21-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
So I picked up a few cases of Score taget loads. Just another great product from these guys. I have now switched entirely to Score shot shells. Just thought I would share this positive experience.I would recommend trying their products out, if you haven't already. Did I mention they are a Canadian company and very reasonably priced!
Challenger are also a good Canadian buy. High antimony lead shot and Cheddite hulls. Basically a AA at a lower price point.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:59 PM

They seem like decent shotshells, but I purchase whatever target loads are on for the best deal, and that is usually Challenger.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Challenger are also a good Canadian buy. High antimony lead shot and Cheddite hulls. Basically a AA at a lower price point.
I didn't know that challenger was a Canadian buy. I will have to try them out.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:19 PM

I've run over 1000 score shells through my weatherby, target, lead hunting for upland, and steel for waterfowl, zero issues with the gun or the ammunition. The steel score shells are amazing for what you pay.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-22-2016, 07:27 AM

Score and Challenger are Canadian to the extent that they are loaded in Canada by Canadians with European components.

The real benefit is that they are priced competitively in Canadian dollars, and that people are happy with the quality.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:00 AM

I am not seeing many Score shotshells being used for trap and skeet, but Challenger is very popular, due to Cabelas putting them on sale for $65 to $70 per flat for 12 gauge. If I could purchase Score for that price, I would try them.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:23 AM

I've used Score shot shells and was suitably impressed enough to try getting a few pallets for the club but unfortunately they were higher priced than Winchester, Challenger or Federal even with the US exchange rate so it was a no go.
Now I'm hearing an unconfirmed rumor that they have gone out of business.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:05 AM

I just could not get the score shells I bought (two flats of rapid target 8s) to pattern out of my browning citori. Worked ok at the 16 yard line, but for handicap they cost me a lot of clays.

However, they ran flawlessly in my Beretta A400. Go figure.

I'd try them again now that I have a new OU clay gun. They are reasonably priced, but Federal shells through the club are a bit cheaper.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:48 PM

We have bought several pallets of them. If you can tell me where we can get Federal or Winchester cheaper, I am all ears.

One thing to note is that several people at our club that shoot Browning O/Us experience pierced primers with both the Challenger and Score shells. Seems to be a result of the primed Cheddite hulls that they both use.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
We have bought several pallets of them. If you can tell me where we can get Federal or Winchester cheaper, I am all ears.

One thing to note is that several people at our club that shoot Browning O/Us experience pierced primers with both the Challenger and Score shells. Seems to be a result of the primed Cheddite hulls that they both use.
Who were you buying the pallets of shotshells through?
Old 03-22-2016, 03:44 PM

Very good ammo at a reasonable price. You can't go wrong
Old 03-22-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:

We haven't priced them for a few months now but we normally purchase club shells through Claybird Supplies. Like I said, Score would not match the other prices at that time.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:

No issues with Challengers in any of my Citori shotguns.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
No issues with Challengers in any of my Citori shotguns.
Myself either, I shot 3-4000 of them. Come to think of it, I dont think I have ever seen a pierced primer on a shotshell....only centerfire. Is that unusual?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:09 PM

I have been impressed with SCORE shells. I have not shot any Handicap, but they sure do a good job breaking long Sporting targets. As far as price, they are a few dollars more than the big three's promotional shells, but worth it to me.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I have been impressed with SCORE shells. I have not shot any Handicap, but they sure do a good job breaking long Sporting targets. As far as price, they are a few dollars more than the big three's promotional shells, but worth it to me.
I have used everything from Challenger to Super Targets to Fiocchi, to Gold Medal to AA, and my skeet and sporting clays scores don't change, so I go with whatever is cheapest.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have used everything from Challenger to Super Targets to Fiocchi, to Gold Medal to AA, and my skeet and sporting clays scores don't change, so I go with whatever is cheapest.
I am not suggesting they helped my scores. The crappiest shell in the world is better than me. I think they are worth the extra cost because someone was willing to start up a shot shell business in western Canada and they produce a quality product.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I am not suggesting they helped my scores. The crappiest shell in the world is better than me. I think they are worth the extra cost because someone was willing to start up a shot shell business in western Canada and they produce a quality product.
That's the big reason I've made the switch.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:18 PM

I find about 1/1000 score target loads don't go bang.

Considering they are the cheapest shells available to me by about $20 a case - I can deal with it.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:33 PM

We have bought our Score shells directly from Score.

As for the pierced primers, how many of you look at your shells when you pull them out of your gun. It seems to be a problem with the bottom barrel predominantly but have seen it in the top as well. No noticeable difference in how the shell shoots but the evidence is on the hull.

I will not shoot Score or Challenger in either of my Cynergys. I don't know if they are being damaged but why take the chance.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I find about 1/1000 score target loads don't go bang.

Considering they are the cheapest shells available to me by about $20 a case - I can deal with it.
Any hints on where your getting them for a good price?
Old 03-24-2016, 11:23 PM

I get them at Canadian tire 250 for 80-90$ a case price has gone up a bit recently they say because of our bad dollar. But if they are Canadian then I guess just more profit.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
We have bought our Score shells directly from Score.

As for the pierced primers, how many of you look at your shells when you pull them out of your gun. It seems to be a problem with the bottom barrel predominantly but have seen it in the top as well. No noticeable difference in how the shell shoots but the evidence is on the hull.

I will not shoot Score or Challenger in either of my Cynergys. I don't know if they are being damaged but why take the chance.
I look at them all, and after 1500 so far this year, no pierced primers and they all went bang.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:14 AM

Challenger are manufactured in Quebec. I send enough money there without having to buy ammo from there. Score are manufactured at Carberry Manitoba. You can buy direct from them if you take a pallet for a real good price.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Challenger are manufactured in Quebec. I send enough money there without having to buy ammo from there. Score are manufactured at Carberry Manitoba. You can buy direct from them if you take a pallet for a real good price.
Haha ain't that the truth!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 AM

I switched to SCORE shells 2years ago for waterfowl (#3 shot for everything - patterns well), had 1 dud in my 1st case of shells but other than that nothing. Have used 3 cases (250/case) myself. Shells have patterned well out of my shotguns.
They tend shoot a bit dirty though - no worse than faststeel in my experience.

shells are built in Carberry Manitoba and can be ordered in bulk if you buy 60+ cases (they may have changed to 100 cases min order though) 100 cases on a pallet if i remember correctly.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:33 PM

I just bought a box of 25 brenneke slugs made by score, $23. Cheapest brennekes I've found, took one apart and they look excellent. Have to see what the Weatherby and the Asil think about them, but my guess is any bears that wanna chew on my a** this year on the river won't like them at all.

1 1/8oz at 1550fps according to the box, there were 3" slugs that were faster, but out of a 5lb gun they'd probably turn my shoulder black and blue

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-26-2016, 05:40 AM

Started using Score BBs for geese last year. The only other steel shotshell that knocks birds down so cleanly that I have tried is Black Cloud. Score Shotshells are all I plan to use this year and I will put the dollars I saved into fuel for scouting.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:06 AM

Haven't had a single issue with Score, and am a big fan. I've only used their target loads but I've bought a few boxes of their steel shot to pattern my gun but haven't found the time yet. Seems like I only hear great things about them though.

Challenger is a different story for me. I bought a case from Cabelas when they were on sale but my Benelli Supernova pump isn't a fan and for some reason it jammed all the time.. Some could say it was real challenge.