Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-11-2016, 04:49 PM

Default 50 guns stolen near Sundre

Surprised no one has posted this, Just heard it this aft. Pile of weapons, no doubt they're going to show up somewhere.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/thieves-re...ndre-1.2810878

Members of the Sundre RCMP detachment are investigating a recent break-and-enter on a rural residence where dozens of firearms were stolen as well as jewelry and a pickup truck.
On Tuesday, officers responded to the home after the owner reported the theft. RCMP determined approximately 35 long barreled firearms and 15 handguns had been removed from a secured room within the home.
The homeowner’s stolen pickup truck was located by police several kilometres from the home. The abandoned truck contained none of the stolen property.
According to witness reports, a vehicle was seen in the area near the time of the break-and-enter.
RCMP describe the suspect vehicle as:
A newer model pickup truck
Blue
“Jacked up” with big tires
Having a blue tarp in the box
Police have not released any information regarding suspect descriptions.
Anyone having information about the break-and-enter is asked to contact the Sundre RCMP detachment, 403-638-3675,

Grizz
Old 03-11-2016, 06:20 PM

Guess bragging about how many rifles you own is a bad idea...
Who woulda thought.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Surprised no one has posted this, Just heard it this aft. Pile of weapons, no doubt they're going to show up somewhere.
Grizz
Interesting that the media got it right for a change in calling them 'firearms',
while you used the anti-gun term 'weapons'!

Baseball bats, pool cues, rocks - just about anything can be used as a 'weapon'. Same with firearms - they're not 'weapons' until used to threaten or harm someone. And there's no indication that these firearms were used in that manner.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter1602 View Post
Guess bragging about how many rifles you own is a bad idea...
Who woulda thought.
One more reason to have a 2000 lb safe bolted to the concrete floor, and a good monitored alarm system with an hellaciously loud siren inside and outside. Kind of draws the neighbors' attention. I think rural people are almost at more risk of this type of crime than us city dwellers.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-11-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
One more reason to have a 2000 lb safe bolted to the concrete floor, and a good monitored alarm system with an hellaciously loud siren inside and outside. Kind of draws the neighbors' attention. I think rural people are almost at more risk of this type of crime than us city dwellers.
You are correct. Rural homes are much more likely to have firearms stolen.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:57 PM

So it appears they were after the guns, they abandoned the pickup.

Hunter, coming from me(uninformed), it would seem more like somewhat of an inside job. I realize organized crime could pull it off, but even 50 guns @ well-reduced black market value makes me think the big fish wouldn't like the risk/reward?
I figure the "pawn" value might be 10 grand or less, I could be wrong. It just seems more likely somebody knew somebody, as well as work and/or vacation schedules....?
Old 03-11-2016, 09:54 PM

Whay drive me bonkers is that the penalty for stealing a firearm from a dwelling place is a maximum life in prison. Why do we let these douche bags get away with a slap on the wrist.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post

Hunter, coming from me(uninformed), it would seem more like somewhat of an inside job. I realize organized crime could pull it off, but even 50 guns @ well-reduced black market value makes me think the big fish wouldn't like the risk/reward?
I figure the "pawn" value might be 10 grand or less, I could be wrong. It just seems more likely somebody knew somebody, as well as work and/or vacation schedules....?
It really depends what the firearms were.
Many criminal organizations will keep them or sell to other puppet gangs for a drug return. It's hard to say really what occurred.. But my guess is somebody mentioned something to the wrong person and in turn set up a crew to make a quick grab. You gotta remember, this summer Calgary is going to see many more shootings due to the current gang situation and low drug buyers market. It's a bad recipe for a couple gangs with lots of drugs, but not as many buyers, it will be them who end up with the firearms ultimately.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:57 PM
Banned

That's got to pizz a guy off. And at least they have a suspect vehicle. My guess is drugs being sold are just as rampant as they ever were, people just go to further lengths to get them. The times change nothing
Old 03-12-2016, 12:01 AM

Years ago I had 2 really good gun safes bolted into my floor,they broke in and stole all my hunting and fishing stuff,but they couldn't move them safes,they hammered on them and dented the s///t out of them but they never move,i still have one heavy duty sucker and if they can steal it ,I will give it to them.

Today it's not just about a couple guns,important papers passports,anything of value should be locked up good with a good security system,plus a couple voice recorders that come on on auto, ,one right at your entrance,most people that get robbed is by someone you know or have done business with,plus a dam fire can destroy all your nice things,get a good safe,Also I would not forfeit my hide over a handful of guns,very good way to get hurt real bad,hammers are for more than nails.
The moment I leave my home I can see four different places at once on my phone in side my home plus one at each door,plus also to my security company,cost me about 60 a month,but to me it's worth it.2 bucks a day is peanuts.If I am away my wife feels comfortable.

Last night a girl my wife works with was robbed while she went shopping,they clean out her house and took all her important papers,she had a credit card they found and visa stopped them at a grand,the women lives by herself,now she will be scared for life over a bunch of lowlife basterds who don't deserve the air they breath,that kinda crap is just f//k up.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmnnkoqaz View Post
Whay drive me bonkers is that the penalty for stealing a firearm from a dwelling place is a maximum life in prison. Why do we let these douche bags get away with a slap on the wrist.

<------- This X 100. If the perp(s) are caught & convicted the judge should be sentencing to the maximum allowance of the law. Crime & recidivism is rampant because of toothless lax sentences. I'd really really like (but probably hate) to see statistics about how many firearm charges that judges and prosecutors either toss or plead out for a guilty plea to a lesser charge. These people invade our most sacred places and ransack and steal people's rightful possessions, they should be given severe punishment.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:26 AM

Looked like police had someone cornered on the Sunchild road last night, 2 Blacked out SUV parked on highway 11 and 2 RCMP just North on the Sunchild glassing for something/someone. Wonder if it was related...
Old 03-12-2016, 08:47 AM

"Jacked up" with big tires........sounds like some out of work oil field workers desperate for some cash.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:

I'd bet that the 15 handguns have a street value of a heck of a lot more that 10 grand. Not to mention the 35 rifles. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly and these firearms don't get used in a violent crime.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
<------- This X 100. If the perp(s) are caught & convicted the judge should be sentencing to the maximum allowance of the law. Crime & recidivism is rampant because of toothless lax sentences. I'd really really like (but probably hate) to see statistics about how many firearm charges that judges and prosecutors either toss or plead out for a guilty plea to a lesser charge. These people invade our most sacred places and ransack and steal people's rightful possessions, they should be given severe punishment.
I totally agree, about 15 years ago some crack heads broke into my house while I was at work stole my gun box in broad daylight (no handguns) they were caught within 24 hours. One had an extensive criminal record and received 2 1/2 years he was out in 18 months (only because he acted up in jail) the other one with a short record got 1 year out on parole in 6 months.
The one that did 18 months was fleeing justice within a month of being released he went back to jail I never heard about him since.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post

I'd bet that the 15 handguns have a street value of a heck of a lot more that 10 grand. Not to mention the 35 rifles.

Hopefully this gets resolved quickly and these firearms don't get used in a violent crime.
Yes...

Firearms hold MORE value on the street or in the hands of criminals, sometimes double the retail cost...

A $500 handgun with multiple magazines & a few boxes of ammo can fetch $2500 - $5000, on the street.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Yes...

Firearms hold MORE value on the street or in the hands of criminals, sometimes double the retail cost...

A $500 handgun with multiple magazines & a few boxes of ammo can fetch $2500 - $5000, on the street.

I don't know how you know this, I would think a straw buyer would be cheaper than that. $5000 is 10x $500, why would anyone pay that, even a criminal?? However I don't know differently so I'll defer. If correct the guns will have been long dispersed by now.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I don't know how you know this, I would think a straw buyer would be cheaper than that. $5000 is 10x $500, why would anyone pay that, even a criminal?? However I don't know differently so I'll defer. If correct the guns will have been long dispersed by now.
There have been fellows convicted of being 'straw buyers', I recall stories of some both in BC and locally hitting the forums either here or on CGN. One was a female employee at WSS who was funneling guns to her gangster boyfriend, the police recovered one that was supposedly still in inventory at WSS and that launched a whole investigation. Girlie was grabbing inventory and leaving the emptied boxes in stock, probably at the bottom of the pile of back of the row for ones they had in multiples. Anonymity is a value-added commodity, the straw buyer thing carries a risk because the legal purchaser is at definite risk due to being identifiable (if the weapons serial # can be recovered), I would think a straw buyer gun would be pricier than a stolen one based on the sellers increased risk, that plus then the buyer is getting something they specifically want rather than what became available by chance.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
There have been fellows convicted of being 'straw buyers', I recall stories of some both in BC and locally hitting the forums either here or on CGN. One was a female employee at WSS who was funneling guns to her gangster boyfriend, the police recovered one that was supposedly still in inventory at WSS and that launched a whole investigation. Girlie was grabbing inventory and leaving the emptied boxes in stock, probably at the bottom of the pile of back of the row for ones they had in multiples. Anonymity is a value-added commodity, the straw buyer thing carries a risk because the legal purchaser is at definite risk due to being identifiable (if the weapons serial # can be recovered), I would think a straw buyer gun would be pricier than a stolen one based on the sellers increased risk, that plus then the buyer is getting something they specifically want rather than what became available by chance.
Was a story a while back about guns in the To area. Truckers were buying them in the US and fencing them once they got to Canada, nice little side business for them.

Grizz
Old 03-13-2016, 01:56 PM

I guess it wasn't a very secure room that the guns were being stored in.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Banned

Default A terrorist act?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull's-Eye View Post
"Jacked up" with big tires........sounds like some out of work oil field workers desperate for some cash.
By the metal mulisha!!?
Old 03-13-2016, 03:44 PM

The straw buyer's scam I heard was a unconvicted gangsta( or his gal-pal) got his RPAL legally, shoots @ the range a bit, buys a few toys, hands them over @ cost, reports them stolen. Somewhat cheaper than 10x.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:46 AM

Anyone hear of a similar breakin in the Veg Area? I had heard in broad daylight they backed into a guys house wrapped a chain around the safe yarded it out thru the wall , and somehow got it loaded and took off.. He come home from work to a destroyed house and missing gunsafe.
Quads, snowmobiles, street/ dirt bike thefts are way up , it's all fun and games till they hit the wrong yard ..
Old 03-14-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post
By the metal mulisha!!?
Lol. Yep, something ghay like that.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:18 PM
Banned

A fellow AO member had all his firearms stolen from his house near Ardrossin last Saturday.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:42 AM

Default Wow

I had 6 stolen 14yrs back. I can remember the feeling, terrible. They trashed the house and took a few other items. They stashed them in some bushes less than a km away and a person running saw them and the police returned them to me. Would have taken quite a while for these guys to load the truck, hot wire it and get away.... Dirty
Old 03-25-2016, 06:31 AM

I'm in the process of getting my marlin 17hmr retured to me after it was stolen and recovered in reddeer almost a year ago.
the new owner is pleading not guilty and that all the other stuff that happened to be located in his house at the time of the police involvement was all his as well.
there are a lot of excess humans on earth I'm sure a few won't be missed.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-26-2016, 09:50 AM

Default Could have been!

This from Sherwood Park.

Sherwood Park, Alberta - Strathcona County RCMP have now laid numerous charges against four males after a break and enter was discovered in progress at a rural residence near Range Road 204 and Township Road 514.
On Tuesday March 15, 2016 at approximately 2:44 a.m. while officers were patrolling the rural area they observed a U-Haul van and car travelling on Wye Road. A short time later the officers observed the same two vehicles parked at the entrance to a rural residence.
The officers stopped and spoke with two males who advised they were there to move furniture. Police located break in tools in the vehicle and after a search of the immediate area they located another male hiding in a bush. With the assistance of the Strathcona County Police Dog Unit a fourth male was also located hiding in the area. The U-haul truck was confirmed to have been stolen the previous night and all four males were subsequently arrested and charged with multiple offences.
"Strathcona County RCMP are strongly encouraging residents to report any suspicious behaviour they see around their homes." says Cst Chantelle Kelly of the Strathcona County RCMP, "Quite often even the smallest piece of information can lead to a successful investigation. Citizens should never hesitate to call police if they see unusual activity in their neighbourhoods."
Ronald Kelly KASH, age 54 of Edmonton has been charged with:
-One count of break and enter
-One count of trespass at night
-One count of possession of stolen property exceeding $5000.00
-One count of possess break in instruments
-Two counts of fail to comply with recognizance

Cory Allan GOERTZ, age 47 of no fixed address has been charged with:
Aaron James DUNLOP, age 39 of Drayton Valley has been charged with:
-One count of fail to comply with probation
Rocky Dennis BUZZELL, age 51 of Drayton Valley has been charged with:
-One count of possession of stolen property exceeding $5000.00
Ronald KASH, Cory GOERTZ, Rocky BUZZELL and Aaron DUNLOP are scheduled to appear in Sherwood Park Provincial Court on Wednesday March 23, 2016 at 9:30 a.m.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Banned

One of those guys is 54 years old. 'Bout time to get a life eh ! ...... loosers, all of them.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:43 AM

Let's hope the system is going to teach these clowns a lesson. Oh wait they are how old and still thieving? I think there is a problem here. Looks like the tax payer is being let down. How many times have these guys seen a court room? Are they on a first name basis with the judge? Just some questions people need to ask.