Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 PM

Default Shooting range?

Hello,
I own some land and already have a range out there set up for rifles, but I have recently gotten into shooting handguns and restricted rifles! Unfortunately I'm only able to shoot at paper when at the range, which isn't as fun as the steel back at my land! So here's my main question ( is there any way I could get the range at my land registered so that i could shoot restricted weapons there? )

Any advise would be appreciated!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 PM

I think it's possible, but there would be many hoops to jump through, the range would have to be inspected and approved by the CFO. Not sure what the regulations are, or where to find them.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 PM

Can you safely shoot off your back deck?

That way, you wouldn't have to transport your short guns. I believe there's no law against pulling the trigger, just moving them somewhere. Before you make any decisions, I'd recommend that you dig into that and see if you come to the same conclusion I did.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Spend some time rooting around in the regs here:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/p...ct-loi-eng.htm

Particularly the part labelled: Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges Regulations

These reg's seem to be directed towards commercial ranges, but there are provisions for non-profit shooting clubs.

Hope the links are useful.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:26 PM

The way I heard it works is that the range were you are shooting your restricted guns MUST be registered. mYou can have it done as a private range wich you can use for yourself, friends and family but not sure of the fine print.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 PM

Smile Rocky are you sure?

That means as long as it is safe, we can fire away off the deck? If that is correct that's great, no more clubs, fees and all that.

This sounds too good to be true.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Can you safely shoot off your back deck?

That way, you wouldn't have to transport your short guns. I believe there's no law against pulling the trigger, just moving them somewhere. Before you make any decisions, I'd recommend that you dig into that and see if you come to the same conclusion I did.
This is my understanding also, as there are no transport issues. However you should research this point yourself.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
That means as long as it is safe, we can fire away off the deck? If that is correct that's great, no more clubs, fees and all that.

This sounds too good to be true.
We had a lengthy discussion about this a while ago. If you search for it and can't find it, let me know and I'll search for it. In the end, I believe more people agreed than disagreed.

The gist of it is that your back deck is part of your "dwelling house"; hence taking your pistola onto the back deck would not be any different than taking it into your kitchen. Do some research and decide for yourself. If I had a pistol and a back deck I could shoot off safely, I'd be doing it; the rest is your decision.

This came up for me when I had coyote problems. I thought I might buy a .357 and get some subsonic .38 loads to keep the racket down. I called the RCMP Center for Firearms Tyrannts and was told "no". I asked for the legislation that said "no"; since I could not find it. On hold. She comes back and says she can't find it. I ask to speak to a supervisor. On hold. I'm told yes, you are right - there is no such ban as long as I'm shooting safely but I should check with the CFO in Alberta. Why, I don't know. I guess because everyone thinks they are a valid dictator on all things gun. Anyway, I do. She agrees with me BUT I can't shoot the coyotes because they are "wildlife" and hunting with a pistol is illegal in AB. After all that, I end up stumped by Alberta law!

IMO, people often complain - rightly - about the goofy, bothersome, unnecessary and sometimes unconstitutional restrictions we already have on guns and yet won't exercise the few freedoms we do have.

Last edited by Rocky7; 05-14-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack ima Moose View Post
Hello,
I own some land and already have a range out there set up for rifles, but I have recently gotten into shooting handguns and restricted rifles! Unfortunately I'm only able to shoot at paper when at the range, which isn't as fun as the steel back at my land! So here's my main question ( is there any way I could get the range at my land registered so that i could shoot restricted weapons there? )

Any advise would be appreciated!
I suspect by the time you went through the municipal hoops regarding zoning, and the "puplic input" process involved, your gun would be obsolete and ammunition would no longer be available.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM

I could be wrong but as I understand it restricted firearms are only allowed to be fired at a range that has CFO approval for restricted firearms.....
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM

Here is the catch all, that the CFO can again flex is unexhorted powers upon the shooting community.

Straight from the interpertations section of the shooting club regs.

“shooting range” means a place that is designed or intended
for the safe discharge, on a regular and structured
basis, of firearms for the purpose of target practice or
target shooting competitions.

Setting up anything perminant on your property(backboards, berms, benches gongs), could be then classed as a shooting range and therefore allow the CFO to get his strangle hold on it.

There are no absolutes

Tags
handguns, land, range, restricded, shooting