Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-29-2016, 11:21 AM

Default .223 Winchester brass

Have read some of the stuff going around about Winchester quality control.
I have around 250 once fired winchester brass out of my .223. All mostly the same Lot # Winchester white box value pack. Looking to start load development with this brass. Giver or use my less plentiful hornady brass??

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
I have around 250 once fired winchester brass out of my .223. All mostly the same Lot # Winchester white box value pack. Looking to start load development with this brass. Giver or use my less plentiful hornady brass??

Thanks.
Givver until you begin to see deficiencies show up then toss the batch,
Old 03-29-2016, 11:36 AM

Have at it. The only Winchester brass I've had issues with (new untouched, and after the first firing) was .204R. I have Winchester .223 brass that is from new, range pick-up..and some of it has been loaded 3-4 times. Considering I FL re-size every time, that's saying something.

Were I to walk into a store to buy .223 brass and see Hornady sitting beside Winchester...I'd pick Hornady. However, the Winchester brass I have keeps chugging along.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:40 AM

.....I should add, my .223 brass is a mix of stuff. Mostly Winchester, some Hornady...some of some other I don't remember. I'm a meticulous brass prepper though, so bottom line...it's almost all the same to me. Rather, all the same to the groundhogs. With my new .243, I'm keeping a closer eye on the brass due to the higher pressures. All Winchester brass for it so far, and no issues.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:50 AM

The Winchester brass will work fine for you if it has been loaded before. The issues I've had with Winchester is with new casings in the package yet. Rippled necks, split necks and crumpled shoulders and this has not even been loaded yet. Very poor quality. If the Hornady is once fired, range pick up there is nothing wrong at all with it but beware that a large percentage of Hornady 223 will have crimped primer pockets. Not a big deal but you will have to ream the primer pocket before you can re-prime it, otherwise good brass.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:45 PM

It is... awful stuff. Will probably end spontaneously combusting. I recommend giving it to me to dispose of.

For real though, I have used lots of 223 winchester brass and haven't had any catastrophic issues with it. Sure the odd case neck splits sooner than I would like, but other than that, if you have it, use it.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:18 PM
Banned

Default Use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post

Thanks.
Use it.