Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-20-2016, 10:26 PM

Default Vintage 30-06 ammo

Hey everyone,
Just looking for some insight. I bought a sporterized Remington M1917 and the seller threw in 2 boxes of old ammo. I believe it's old enough to be vintage/collectable. The prices on the box are $3.95 and $4.95. It's CIL Dominion ammo. One box is 220gr KKSP "Kling-kor soft point" full 20 rounds in original box. The other box is marked as 180gr KKSP but there's a mix of 6 rounds of 180gr and 7 rounds 220gr I believe. 5 spent casings and 2 missing.

Just curious if anyone knows if there's collectable value in it. More likely the full original box. If there is I won't use it and likely see if I can find a buyer at a gun show

Also, on the side, I have 4 rounds of 30-06 FMJ headstamped WRA42 for Winchester Repeating Arms 1942.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.8 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-20-2016, 10:31 PM

Well, I've seen vintage Ammo go for crazy prices and current prices.
I oils hit the gun shops and see if you can trade it for some new stuffing 165 grain
Cat
Old 03-20-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Well, I've seen vintage Ammo go for crazy prices and current prices.
That's kinda what I was thinking, all depends on finding a buyer right? Yet, if I only get offered the price of an ordinary box of ammo I'll hold it for sure.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:56 PM

I remember KKSP's and still have some. I must be Vintage,
Old 03-21-2016, 12:54 AM
Gone Hunting

I doubt you'd find a buyer for Dominion ammo. The colectors market is mostly after south of the border stuff.

I have some old old cartridges so I did some research on them. What I found discouraged me from even trying to sell any of them.

Some of my ammo was made some time around 1920 as near as I can tell.
It's labled Dominion Cartridge Co. Ltd.
The name Dominion was used up till 1956 but some time around 1920 the Dominion Cartridge Company Ltd. head stamp was changed to read DCCO and then to Dominion in the early 1940s.

Dominion headstamped ammunition continued to be sold up into the 1960s even though the name had been changed to Imperial in 1956.

They also made ammuntion under the names IVI, CIL Canuck, and Gévelot.

I found no interest in any of these names on the cartridge collector sites.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-21-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian426 View Post
That's kinda what I was thinking, all depends on finding a buyer right? Yet, if I only get offered the price of an ordinary box of ammo I'll hold it for sure.
I would try and trade it for a box of modern 165's.
I shoot KKSP's myself i 303 British, both hand loaded bullets and factor ammo, it is not not really that rare. they are worth no more than a modern box of ammo to most people.

Some of my factory shotshells I have are from the 20's and I am far better off just displaying them than trying t sell them for any amount of money.
I will be n the ground before find find someone to pay any more than modern prices for them .
However, thee ma be that one guy who will pay a bunch of cash for them!

Cat
Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 AM

I have a box of Dominion/CIL 30-30 Pneumatic tips $3.88 that came across my plate. A guy I worked with said we should shoot it for the brass as its good brass
....great idea.....He wasn't very bright.

Last edited by Huntsman; 03-21-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:02 AM

You could look at it this way Huntsman.
You could zero the gun then you would have possibly 10 or 15 in that box of Ammo - however , you are NOT sitting on a gold mine as far as money goes!
Cat
Old 03-21-2016, 08:17 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You could look at it this way Huntsman.
You could zero the gun then you would have possibly 10 or 15 in that box of Ammo - however , you are NOT sitting on a gold mine as far as money goes!
Cat
Lol, very true Cat. Maybe a "just to see what it'll do" and pack 'em away again.
It would be neat to see what a "Pneumatic tip" would do to a deer.
I'll add that to list for this fall.
The fella that wanted to shoot them, at the time had just bought a Win 94 off me and wanted to go blasting
Old 03-21-2016, 08:47 AM
Banned

I also have several boxes of Dominion ammo, a couple 303 British in soft point and SabreTip ,a couple of boxes of 30-06 Soringfield in 180sp and 220sp , and 2 boxes of 150 gr SabreTip , a couple boxes of 32-40 , a couple boxes of 32 Winchester Special , A box of 6.5x55Swede ,

Dominion and Imperial were good ammunition, killed a lot of deer and moose, bears with that stuff and when I started buying it at Army and Navy in NewWest minster it was about $4 or $5 bucks a box,

Surplus military 30-06 and .303 was $0.25 cents a pound, fill a paper bag from a 45 gallon drum of ammo, and weigh it at the checkout
Old 03-21-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
It would be neat to see what a "Pneumatic tip" would do to a deer.
It would kill the deer the same as it killed them 50 years ago. In fact there are old timers out there still using the stuff, works just fine. Have a buddy in BC still shooting old yellow and blue box dominion ammo out of his 30-30 and kills stuff every year with it. I'm sure he will keep using it until he dies, he has 5 or 6 boxes left on his closet shelf, takes a shot or two every season to check it's still lined up then kills 2 or 3 bears, bucks, does, moose or whatever he's hunting. It's the only stuff I've ever seen him hunt with.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It would kill the deer the same as it killed them 50 years ago. In fact there are old timers out there still using the stuff, works just fine. Have a buddy in BC still shooting old yellow and blue box dominion ammo out of his 30-30 and kills stuff every year with it. I'm sure he will keep using it until he dies, he has 5 or 6 boxes left on his closet shelf, takes a shot or two every season to check it's still lined up then kills 2 or 3 bears, bucks, does, moose or whatever he's hunting. It's the only stuff I've ever seen him hunt with.
X2,
Old 03-21-2016, 02:30 PM

Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely ask around this weekend at the gun show in Calgary. Wasn't expecting I had found any kind of diamond in the rough, but wasn't sure
Old 03-28-2016, 10:00 AM

Think I'll just keep or shoot the ammo. Saw some other dominion boxes of .303 .30-06 and a few others at the show. Not selling for too much. Thanks again for input