Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2016, 09:37 AM

Default Sxp info please

Does anyone know if the Winchester sxp barrels are interchangeable? That is to say if I buy one with an 18.5" barrel would I be able to buy a longer barrel for it later on? Any help would be appertiated.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:54 AM

Yes they are interchangeable.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:30 AM

It depends. If you buy the defender model the mounting ring on the barrel will be 14 inches long and a hunting barrel will measure out at 12 inches. (as far as im aware i need to double check on the defender) your only bet (if my measurements are right) is to call the winchester parts department and get the part number of a camp and field model hunting barrel and order it through one of your local browning/winchester dealers. Bear in mind that getting one takes about 5 months.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 03-26-2016, 10:34 AM

You could always save money ,and avoid any potential issues if you purchase an SXP with the two barrel combo. They are currently on sale at Cabelas.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:55 AM

Or I could buy the defender for wilderness protection and then need another for birds and clays. That's what I would tell the wife anyway. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:26 AM

I have a Field & Camp SXP I purchased new and quite like, it is almost auto eject and cycles very easily, but I did do a lot of careful smoothing and de-burring of the action before first use.

I suggest you inspect ALL new (and used) firearms very carefully before completing the purchase. I rejected one new SXP for a very poorly machined and badly gouged chamber wall, that IMHO never should have made it past QC.

When they were first introduced, the Field (& F&C) models did not have receivers drilled for mounting any rear sighting system. I had hoped that after the introduction of the Defender models that all receivers would be D&T, but not at my purchase. IIRC (some or all?) the current Defender models have a mounted Pic-rail with a very nice (IIRC adjustable?) rear ghost ring sight and a much taller front sight, IIRC some also have ~18" barrels tapped for choke tubes, (I cannot remember how many tubes are included)

I find my low front sight usable with slugs @ 25m but shoot ~6" high when the front sight is as low as possible on top of the bare grooved receiver. A rear ghost ring would be VERY helpful @ 100m (I have not yet tried 50m, but suspect it may be just much better.)

To add front and sights to a F&C is possible but not cheap, and the taller sights will hang up on scabbards, clothing or brush.

There are no perfect solutions for individual needs or missions, only you can decide what is best for you. I suggest you carefully price out all the alternatives, a second specialized shotgun (OU for birds or clay?) may be better and not much more money.

Good Luck, YMMV.