Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-20-2006, 07:10 AM
flipper62

Default making snare swivels ?

I am trying to bulid some swivels for my coyote snares using #12 wire for 3/32" cable, and have made some pretty ugly ones.
Is there a gig I can make or a method that anyone is using so I will not waste time, effort and wire trying to get something that will work ?
Open to suggestions?
Thanks
Flipper
Old 11-20-2006, 09:12 AM
aka bushmaster

I don't use swivels so don't know much about it but the jigs are all homemade I think so maybe someone who has one will chime in and help. But check this link, has some interesting stuff.....also Halford sells the swivels for about 60 cents....

www.firestormak.com/site%...snare.html
Old 11-20-2006, 10:57 PM
sourdough doug

Default snare swivels

The snare swivels I use a lot of are homemade with #9 wire, a small diameter rod,(I use a phillips screwdriver shaft), vice and vice grip pliars. Fasten in the vice the piece of rod ,horiz.,and wrap tightly around it the wire, approx 6" long about 6 turns. Use the vice grips to keep it tight. I seat the coils by sliding a small deep socket over the rod after cutting the wire (at 6 wraps) and tap them tight with a hammer. The wire you use should be able to spin freely in the coils ,determined by the size of phillips you use . Slip your snare wire thru the coils and hammer on whatever you use for a knob, whether it be an aluminum stop or a small hex nut. You now have a swivel plus a length of wire to use for fastening to a tree and also a stiff arm for positioning your snare. This setup will also let you load your snare for release. It sounds simple to me but thats prob.cuz I've done a few. I think the basics are here , just play with it a bit and have fun..
Old 11-21-2006, 06:40 AM
flipper62

Default Re: snare swivels

Thanks for the tips guys.
I bought a few swivels from Halford and realised I was being too fussy, but all the things you buy cost you in the long run. Your method sounds better than the one I was using.

I also found a site that sells a tool for making swivels but sells for $16 US at www.buckeyetrap.com/trapping.htm

Thanks
Flipper