Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-28-2006, 12:23 AM
flipper62

Default fur prime time for yotes?

When is a good time to start tipping over coyotes ? An old trapper once told me that any month with an "R" in it ment the fur was prime? I kind of doubt it, maybe he ment water critters like muskrat and beaver.
What does everyone think? Hate to waste shooting an unprime coyote too soon.

Thanks
Flipper
Old 09-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Turney

November till end of February
Old 09-29-2006, 04:37 PM
bigbore

saw some coyotes in wmu936 that looked to have a nice set of fur on him already. pretty healthy looking too
Old 09-29-2006, 10:30 PM
aka bushmaster

This time of year, you need to skin a coyote to determine its primeness.....usually about mid-Oct. a high percentage are starting to prime up.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:20 AM
ruger300

Mid October I'm gonna break in the new .204 on a good lookin' yote and skin er out. I will update on the primness of the hide.

ruger300
Old 09-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Prdtrgttr

I shot a few last year on the 15th and the 19th of Oct. Although outward appearances were good, they were still "blue" on the inside. These furs were downgraded slightly because of it, I'll just keep bowhunting til Nov. 1 Good luck to you guys.
Ruger, I too will be toting my new .204, along with my trusty .17 Remington, Keep us posted as to your results.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:02 PM
flipper62

Thanks Guys
Just itching to let the air out of a few coyotes, will have to be patient until November.
I also have a new 204 Ruger I am eager to try out, a Remington SPS with the 6x24 44mm BSA on top.
Which bullet works better the 32gr or the 40gr Vmax? I am going to start out with the 40 grainers, higher ballistic coef. for the longer ranges.

Good Hunting
Flipper
Old 10-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Cabot

Hey flipper,

Did you try the berger line of bullets. I don't know if you reload, but I hear a lot of nice things about the 35 and 40gr. Berger, they're supposed to be the most fur friendly bullets out there, good penetration and all. I didn't know about them until after I bought my 39gr. Sierra BK. I will see how they perform on dogs and if they're not friendly, I'll be switching to Berger for sure. I hear the Bk's are ok and that the VMAX are not terrible on fur. It all depends on placement I guess.

Anyways, good luck with that.

Cabot.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:55 AM
flipper62

Yes I do reload. Currently using a 220 Swift in a Ruger 77VT heavy barrel 55 grain Serria HPBT at 3750 FPS shoots like a hot damn. A little hard on pelts as I get an exit hole. I was leaning toward the Vmax bullets, they are very reasonable in price. i have heard alot about the berger bullets Great Target bullets not sure what they would do to a coyote and I think the Berger bullets are a bit more $.

Check out this site www.coyotecanada.ca The guy lives west of Calgary. He uses 40 grain Vmax bullets in his 223. Look at the terminal ballistics pages he has pics of dogs that he shot usnig this bullet and the performance you get, one hole!!

Will let you know what I find out about performance.
Straight Shooting
Flipper
Old 10-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Prdtrgttr

Default Fur Friendly Loads

Hey Flipper62, I've got the same gun as you. I figured at $500 for a 700 action, the price was hard to beat. I like the idea of the 204 for the longer range shots, that are harder for my 17 Remington. For being downright fur friendly it's really hard to beat a 17 Remington with 25 gr Berger HP's. I've shot a large sampling of coyotes with this combo and it's a great fur saving machine.
Towards the end of last year's fur season, I shot 3 coyotes with the factory 40gr Vmaxes out of my 204. One shot was about 85 yd, the other 150, and the other about 300 yds. The closest shot was into the base of the neck of a slightly quartering to coyote- no exit. The next was a broadside shot, boom- flop no exit. The last and furthest shot was broadside shot that hit the spine, the coyote dropped, but needed another shot to finish it. None of these bullets exited.
My cousin shoots a Rem 700 VLS in a 223. He's loaded it up with 40gr V maxes, at close to max. I've shot 2 badgers with that gun/bullet combo and he's shot 5 or 6 coyotes. All have been no exits.
Although this is not a large number of coyotes, it does give some indication as to the Vmaxes performance. Like most bullets the V maxes will blow huge holes when shot in fringe areas.
Having said this, I like the higher BC offered by the 40 and 45 gr Bullets in the 204. I also am going to try the 40 gr Bergers in my gun, from what I've heard they will be more fur friendly than the V maxes. Hope this tirade helps. And good luck to you!
Old 10-06-2006, 05:12 PM
ruger300

Default Re: Fur Friendly Loads

Good to hear prdtrgttr. I'm in the process of finding a good accurate 40gr v/max load for my .204 for the upcoming season. I've shot v/max in my 22-250 and 223 and if range issuses wern't too close I always had minimal pelt damage. Gotta love the bang-flop performance too. Do the bergers get that result as well, am always looking for an excuse to try different bullets. Hunt hard guys.

ruger300.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:58 AM
DUKE

Anyone try the Barnes Varminator bullet??? going to reload them for my H&R Ultra .223.. 40 grain pill with imr 4895.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Badger55

I shot two coyotes last weekend and one was really nice i skinned and fleshed him and am just waitin to send it to the tannery.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:34 PM
flipper62

Does anyine know where you can buy Berger bullets in Alberta? I was on the Berger web site and the only seller listed is Corlane Sports in Dawson Creek BC.
Some people I talked to say that the barnes varminator bullets aren't that pelt freindly. Comments?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Prdtrgttr

Thanks for your reply on the number for Red Deer Flipper, I do appreciate it, as will my friend. I've brought Bergers for my 17 Remington over the border before, but it can be kind of a pain. There's a fellow out of Spruce Grove who can get you some Bergers, and there's a fellow right out of Wetaskiwin who makes some great custom bullets, they're priced right too. I 'll post the links. What gun/caliber combo are you shooting?

www.rpsinternational.com/

www.wildcatbullets.com/
Old 11-21-2006, 06:52 AM
flipper62

I bought a new "Truck gun" this year a Remington SPS in 204 Ruger. Using Hornady 40 grain V max loads so far until I can get enough brass together to start reloading. What powder has been giving you the best results in you 204?
I still love my Ruger VT in 220 Swift, currently working on a more pelt friendly load, 50 grain hornady V max, powder charge and velocity yet to be deterimned.

A few years back there was a fellow out of Didsbury who was buying coyotes also but can't remember his name, he would even come to your town and get them off you. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Prdtrgttr

Default Fur Friendly Loads

Hey Flipper, I've been using 40gr Vmaxes in front of H4895, it's the only powder I've used so far. Many 204 users claim this to be one of the best powders for this caliber.
I am hoping to try the 40gr Bergers out soon.