Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 12:27 AM
Gone Hunting

I own, and use, a Mossberg model 190 bolt action 16 gauge.

It was given to me in deplorable condition along with a 185Ka in similar condition. I restored both and use both.

I like them. They are old school and unconventional both of which appeal to me.

So far as effectiveness goes, I have no trouble filling my limit with any shotgun I've used. That's all I ask of my guns.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-21-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I don't think the "sweet spot" is 1oz. of shot in a 28. The 28/16 gauge club will be revoking your membership.
It is not but it works and patterns like a dream outa my 28...can i be an associate member
Old 08-21-2017, 09:12 AM

Default Sweet Sixteen

I have and use a few sweet sixteens as well. Nothing special, just older working mans shotguns.

My favorite is an old Remington model 31 pump with a mod choke. It is a light weight gun and takes down very easily to transport and store. This was the model Remington brought out to sell against Winchesters Model 12.

Once belonged to an old hunting friend that has long since passed. He was a very successful water fowl hunter with it, and used it with slugs for larger prey.

I use it for grouse in the mountains with lead shot a few times a year, and keep a slug or two in my pocket in case something larger presents it self.

The big box stores like Wholesale, Cabelas and Bass Pro always have 16 g on the shelves.

Last edited by Puma; 08-21-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:19 AM

I've got three 16ga, a older rem 1100, with full and mod barrels, and two Fair U/O, one being a 40th anniversary and custom fit stock, I like them, and seam to have no trouble knocking birds down, the 1100 is my only waterfowl shotgun , and I get plenty of geese/ ducks with it, I hand load iron/ tungsten or bismuth shot.
The 10ga and 12gauges, have all gone now, except for a SKB 12 ga due to a cracked fore stock, Mostly as my shooting has improved, over the years, I have seen less need, for a larger payload, and heavier shotgun, preferring a 1oz or there about, in a light, fast handling, shotgun.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
It is not but it works and patterns like a dream outa my 28...can i be an associate member
You are asking the wrong guy. I do not own either one.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:06 AM

I inherited an Ithaca 37 in 16ga. a few years back, built during WW2. (according to my research) Belonged to my great uncle, offered to me by his son when they were cleaning out their basement. Nice call to get! As a Remington 870 guy, I didn't really know what to expect...and never really liked the lines of those 37s if I'm being totally honest. After a very thorough, very long-overdue cleaning..I took it out to shoot clays. I was completely taken with how light the gun was, how naturally it shouldered, how slick/smooth the function, etc. Made my 870s feel like anchors! Anyhow, having put countless 12ga. and 20ga through my pumps/semis over the years, I was very curious about what 16 was like and based on about the 150 shells I've put through the gun~it FEELS like it has the best traits of both 12 and 20. Recoil like a 20, "oomph" of a 12, etc. Purely anecdotal, but it may be the gun I take out for grouse first this fall. SO nice/light to carry.

If I could find a deal on shells here...it might be the gun I reach for most overall, but it's hard to find them less than about $16-$18 a box.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:34 AM

Many 16's are built on 12 gauge frames so a person does not get any weight advantage there unless the gun is built on a 16 frame .
Others however have been built on 20 gauge frames and handle like wands in the field!

A member on here has an L.C. Smith 16 built on a 20 frame and it is an incredible gun to swing and shoot!
Cat
Old 08-23-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Many 16's are built on 12 gauge frames so a person does not get any weight advantage there unless the gun is built on a 16 frame .
Others however have been built on 20 gauge frames and handle like wands in the field!

A member on here has an L.C. Smith 16 built on a 20 frame and it is an incredible gun to swing and shoot!
Cat
Do you happen to remember which Smith it was?
Old 08-23-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
Do you happen to remember which Smith it was?
Not offhand, a featherweight comes to mind.
maybe I will try and get it off him in a trade!
Cat