Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 11:09 AM

Default Painting a fiberglass truck canopy on the cheap

I bought a used fiberglass truck canopy that fits my 2005 Dodge Power Wagon's 6-1/2' box. It's a highrise model so I'll be able to get my quad in the back and I'll now be able to spend the odd night sleeping in the back when I don't want to go to the hassle of setting up the wall tent.

The canopy was cheap...like $350 cheap. Its in good shape but the only issue is that it is bright blue and my truck is silver. I'd like to sand down the exterior and give it a coat of paint and I'd like to do it on the cheap since I don't want to double the value of my truck.

Anyone ever give their canopy or similar fiberglass product a non-professional paint job? Does it need to be sprayed or is there a paint I can roll on that won't look too bad? Products that anyone recommends? Etc...

I'm not looking for a professional paint job but I'd like to put a coat on it to hide the bright blue. I looked for a long time for the right canopy that was made for my truck and being that I'm in Fort McMurray the used options were very limited so despite the color I bought this one when it came up.

Any options or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:35 PM

I painted a little fiber glass boler camper. I used interlux top side marine paint, and for primer I used interlux Pre-cote the way I painted was roll and tip, roll the paint on with a small foam roller and the brush it out after real quick.
Google roll and tip and you get lots of videos.

My little boler turned out real good almost as a real pro paint job.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
I painted a little fiber glass boler camper. I used interlux top side marine paint, and for primer I used interlux Pre-cote the way I painted was roll and tip, roll the paint on with a small foam roller and the brush it out after real quick.
Google roll and tip and you get lots of videos.

My little boler turned out real good almost as a real pro paint job.
Thanks Sewerrat. I've heard of the roll and tip method but its been a long time since I thought of it. I'll check it out. Interlux paint is what I've seen used on boats when I lived out on the coast. I'll have to see where I can get some from.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:32 PM

Tremclad will paint anything, lightly sand and roller on. I painted my D7 cat with roller and Tremclad, cost me 2 gallons of paint @$50, couple rollers. Beautiful job for years. Guys at Ritchie wanted $6000 for the job.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:50 PM

Gel coat is slightly more expensive than the interlux paint and I think looks way nicer and last longer. It is harder to work with, though. ~$40/liter. I estimate a thin coat on a truck canopy would be about 2L, maybe 3. Been looking at this for a boat hull that I am working on. Total coverage would be about the same, I believe.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:35 PM

On the cheap?
I'd wrap the canopy, order your vinyl on amazon