Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 02:09 PM

Default vote yes

Until yesterday I was on the no side but after talking with a small business owner in Calgary I changed my mind and will vote yes.
1. over half of the buildings in downtown Calgary are empty and Calgary has lost that tax base. They will shift this burden to areas outside of the downtown core so Taxes will go up.
2. we need something to stimulate the economy to fill up all those buildings to reduce taxes for us all.
3. People with money have lost confidence in investing in Calgary.

4. We need the olympics and even though it is short term stimulation and job growth we would hope it would it would help us get our economy back to what it once was.
5. We have to show investors that Calgary is a good city to grow with.

Our taxes are going to go up so I would rather they went to something to help fill up all those empty office buildings. The no side has not come up with anything to help Calgary's economy.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
until yesterday i was on the no side but after talking with a small business owner in calgary i changed my mind and will vote yes.
1. Over half of the buildings in downtown calgary are empty and calgary has lost that tax base. They will shift this burden to areas outside of the downtown core so taxes will go up.
2. We need something to stimulate the economy to fill up all those buildings to reduce taxes for us all.
3. People with money have lost confidence in investing in calgary.

4. We need the olympics and even though it is short term stimulation and job growth we would hope it would it would help us get our economy back to what it once was.
5. We have to show investors that calgary is a good city to grow with.

Our taxes are going to go up so i would rather they went to something to help fill up all those empty office buildings. The no side has not come up with anything to help calgary's economy.
wow!!!!
Old 11-12-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Until yesterday I was on the no side but after talking with a small business owner in Calgary I changed my mind and will vote yes.
1. over half of the buildings in downtown Calgary are empty and Calgary has lost that tax base. They will shift this burden to areas outside of the downtown core so Taxes will go up.
2. we need something to stimulate the economy to fill up all those buildings to reduce taxes for us all.

Our taxes are going to go up so I would rather they went to something to help fill up all those empty office buildings. The no side has not come up with anything to help Calgary's economy.
None of those 5 points is a valid argument for voting yes.

First of all, points 1 and 2 are the same. Can you explain to me how hosting the Olympics is going to fill the office towers in downtown Calgary? What corporations *specifically* related to an Olympics event would fill the office vacancy left behind by a decimated oil and gas industry? Short term and long term?

Points 3 and 5 are also the same. They have nothing to do with Calgary as a city, the impact we've seen on Calgary's economy is based solely on it being the corporate headquarters of Canada's oil and gas industry. Canada's oil and gas industry is no longer competitive on a global scale. Corporate burdens are too high, the returns too low, and there is a complete lack of faith on the part of investors in our current political and regulatory regimes.

Point 4. The Olympics would benefit the few for a short term, using the tax dollars of the many. The ultimate shell game. The more likely outcome being a large negative for the majority, especially over the long term.

Spending billions of taxpayer's money on a vanity project with a LONG history of cost overruns, deficits, and decaying infrastructure doesn't seem like a smart thing to do for a province and a city looking to restore it's economy. Any time you can win the "bid" to host an event that's supposed to be a massive economic boon to the host by default, there's probably a darn good reason for it...

The no side is pretty simple, it's the same reason I don't own a Ferrari. Sure it's shiny and fun, and it might impress my friends for a while, but it doesn't make me money, and the bottom line is...I can't afford it.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:29 PM

Default vote NO

For the rest of us who pay prov taxes NO THANKS Just so the clown in Calgary can get his way.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:

One random small business owner convinced you to change your mind based on their own biased view?

There has been plenty of idea's for viable long term actual economic stimulation project's that make sense coming from the no side,like i don't know...PIPELINE'S?

I am pretty sure this is a sarcastic troll thread so i have to say that i like it!
Old 11-12-2018, 02:52 PM

The olympics does little for a city short term and nothing long term economically

I experienced this with the Olympics in BC first hand and it actually had a negative impact on the business I owned at that time. It causes a direct negative impact on access in the area it is held. This impacts non Olympic related projects and effects retailers do to lose of customers. I bet if you start talking to those who experienced the Olympics in Calgary last time it was held there you will find a similar opinions

It is nothing but an expensive way for politicians to show off well tax payers foot the bill. It always runs well over budget costing way more than originally planned for

You want a boost to Calgary’s economy the Olympic’s are not your golden ticket. Economy’s improve by creating a long term service or goods not a one time event

My advice to all is vote NO !!

Last edited by Smoky buck; 11-12-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post

First of all, points 1 and 2 are the same. Can you explain to me how hosting the Olympics is going to fill the office towers in downtown Calgary? What corporations *specifically* related to an Olympics event would fill the office vacancy left behind by a decimated oil and gas industry? Short term and long term?

Points 3 and 5 are also the same. They have nothing to do with Calgary as a city, the impact we've seen on Calgary's economy is based solely on it being the corporate headquarters of Canada's oil and gas industry. Canada's oil and gas industry is no longer competitive on a global scale. Corporate burdens are too high, the returns too low, and there is a complete lack of faith on the part of investors in our current political and regulatory regimes.

Point 4. The Olympics would benefit the few for a short term, using the tax dollars of the many. The ultimate shell game. The more likely outcome being a large negative for the majority, especially over the long term.

Spending billions of taxpayer's money on a vanity project with a LONG history of cost overruns, deficits, and decaying infrastructure doesn't seem like a smart thing to do for a province and a city looking to restore it's economy. Any time you can win the "bid" to host an event that's supposed to be a massive economic boon to the host by default, there's probably a darn good reason for it...

The no side is pretty simple, it's the same reason I don't own a Ferrari. Sure it's shiny and fun, and it might impress my friends for a while, but it doesn't make me money, and the bottom line is...I can't afford it.
Very well written you hit the nail on the head on all counts!!!!
Old 11-12-2018, 03:01 PM

Man if this country could punch a pipeline through, we would have $$ to host Olympics every 4 years. City hall has botched this by not providing all the info needed to make a proper vote.
City despratly needs a boost and this would be a good way to do it, but it's been handled poorly and I can't see this going through. Not a chance.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:04 PM

And all those business people benefiting lives in acreage outside of Calgary
Old 11-12-2018, 03:08 PM

Vote yes think you been smoking the legal stuff a little long.

NO!!!!! Put Alberta tax dollars towards getting the economy rolling and invest in itself.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:15 PM

It's a golden opportunity for our politicians, sport celebrities and their mutual admiration society friends to gather and bask in taxpayer glitter and each other's gushing admiration. How could it possibly not be a great idea?
Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 PM

Hell NO!!!
Old 11-12-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
Very well written you hit the nail on the head on all counts!!!!
I agree.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:44 PM

No
Old 11-12-2018, 04:45 PM

Not changing my mind. Still a big NO!
Old 11-12-2018, 04:50 PM

No

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-12-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Very well written. You hit the nail on the head on all counts !! See you at the polls !
Old 11-12-2018, 04:59 PM

They hosted early voting at u of c already and I was quite happy to through a solid no their way... money could be put to a way better use.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:01 PM

Lightbulb

desperation it a dangerouse mindset , should not make any big decision... long term growth over short term gains . canada as a country need to change as country,get rid of to snowflake and politically correct leaders in order to restore growth and regain investers confidents .
Old 11-12-2018, 05:02 PM

No chance!!! The tourism industry (hotels, bars, etc) will do well for the 16 days or so but everyday Calgarians will not see any change at all, except in our taxes. We already had the winter olympics...if they did not "put us on the map" why do people think these will?? Many corrupt people will benefit from our passion for "doing it right".
I wonder (just musing, no accusations mind you) what Nenshi et al will get from IOC if he/they succeed in pushing this boondoggle through.

Swiss Bank Account??
Old 11-12-2018, 05:04 PM

Artie?????

NO!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:01 PM
Banned

C'mon folks. We all know hosting the Olympics will get pipelines built and narrow the price differential between Alberta oil and the world oil price.

And when that happens the the office buildings will fill up again and the tax base will shift back to business.

The correlations are obvious........if you drink enough of the Nenshi Kool-Aid of course.

Oh, and here's a novel idea....instead of just resigning ourselves to say taxes will go up regardless, why don't we ratchet up the pressure on our elected officials to cut wasteful spending. Any city initiatives come to mind?

Last edited by YYC338; 11-12-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:02 PM

I say yes...yes this was the worst reason to accept higher taxes.

I say vote no...because it only makes sense to NOT pay billions for a party that is over in 17 days and then spend decades paying off the debt.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Default I'll make ya a deal

Build TMX, Get KXL built. Get Canadian oil traded offshore and fairly priced.

Then I'll vote YES, heck, all of Calgary will vote yes
Old 11-12-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
Build TMX, Get KXL built. Get Canadian oil traded offshore and fairly priced.

Then I'll vote YES, heck, all of Calgary will vote yes
These pipelines will be built before the Olympics !!!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 PM

The history of cost overruns on Olympics is really appalling. Some approximate numbers on actual vs estimated costs.
2014 Sochi 500% over
2012 London 200%
2000 Van 200%
2008 Beijing 200%
2006 Torino 40%
2004 Athens 30%
2002 Salt Lake 300%
2000 Sydney 200%
1998 Nagano 500%

Don't believe any of the numbers that are coming out on the expected costs. They are pretty much guaranteed to be way out to lunch if history repeats itself once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post

Excellent post.

Plus, it is not just Calgary taxpayers. Albertans outside Calgary will get no real tangible benefit, but they will get to pay towards it.

I feel terrible about the downturn being weathered, but no Olympics at this time. The shiny Ferrari analogy is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
The olympics does little for a city short term and nothing long term economically
That's not true at all, it puts a MASSIVE debt load on host city's that can and will take decades to pay it off. But I understand what you meant.

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone claim hosting Oly's will be good for an economy.

It DESTROYS economy's, each and every one in the past has lost money and the IOC is the ONLY one that makes money on the taxpayers back

There is a reason the IOC is struggling to find host city's, because it is a financial nightmare that will cost billions and billions of taxpayers money, while the IOC sneaks out the back door with burlap sacks with big dollar signs on them.

VOTE NO!!!!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc...s-infographic/
Old 11-12-2018, 06:56 PM

Agree with the majority here who have already stated the reality.
A resounding NO from me.
Time to stop unnecessary spending and start cutbacks in our bloated civil service at all levels.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Banned

The cost is staggering but I think hosting the Olympics would be an honour for Alberta in general. The Olympics are wicked!