Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
You can’t have safe driving if traffic is not going at relatively the same speed. Where problems occur is where you have unsafe driving to weather conditions and lighting combined with having some going 90 km/hr and some doing 130 km/hr.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Default speeders

I LOVE to hold up Blantant Speeders as in over 10 kms over the posted speed limit when ever i get a chance too ! LOL RJ
Old 11-11-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Pretty Doubtful. Where or how did you determine the left lane is a passing lane?
In BC it is the Law.
Move to the right and allow others to pass.
Rob
Old 11-11-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
You admit to speeding, using your brites illegally and road rage... awesome.
Yup, a real class act...
Old 11-11-2018, 05:21 PM

Default slower traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
So and what are those signs for - Slower Traffic Keep Right?
So ? Whats slower ? anyone who's not going as fast as you are ? or someone doing the Speed Limit or someone doing + 5 Or +10 over the Posted Speed ? or ? RJ
Old 11-11-2018, 06:04 PM

Guys.. RJ is from BC.. the land of driving 80kmhr until a passing zone, then speeding up to 130 so no one can pass, then slow back down to 80. Oh and that's in a 90 zone. Happens everytime, and its always a blue and white plate at the front.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Guys.. RJ is from BC.. the land of driving 80kmhr until a passing zone, then speeding up to 130 so no one can pass, then slow back down to 80. Oh and that's in a 90 zone. Happens everytime, and its always a blue and white plate at the front.
LOL, so true!
Old 11-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
If you are doing 110 on a 110 highway unless a LEO is chasing someone and you hinder him or an Emergency vehicle you will never get a ticket. And that is in either lane.

I will gladly take your advice on cameras and related accessories because your threads have been interesting and informative but you can get better Information on driving in a mad magazine.

Just because you have an uninformed opinion on the subject doesnt mean you are right, sorry.
And just because you intentionally delay traffic because you can does not mean you are right, its just means you are....................well you know.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
And just because you intentionally delay traffic because you can does not mean you are right, its just means you are....................well you know.
..........'Are obeying the law, watching the road in front of me while legally passing a slower vehicle'? I know, right?

Or did you mean 'annoying entitled douchebags that dont care for traffic laws'?

If you think I am going to risk safe driving or a ticket because some jerk feels the need to push me you are sadly mistaken. I will however forward the footage to the Rcmp. I have.

That's the answer you as a law obeying citizen means, surely?

Yeah right, I know exactly what you are getting at. 'keep my bright lights on until the left lane lizard moves the hell out of my way' huff huff tough talk...

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 11-11-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:41 PM

110km/h on the left lane is legal but senseless and dangerous. This this is an illustration as why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Ox0ZmVIU

The cars are evolving and becoming safer and smarter. There are billions of $$ spend every year on infrastructure and real time traffic signs. Yet the only response from the politicians is to further lower the speed limits for the sake of “safety” , It makes them look good. For the very same sake of “safety” they are also imposing traffic ticket quotas on police, converting them in a uniformed tax man. It’s a win-win for them right?
Old 11-11-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
In BC it is the Law.
Move to the right and allow others to pass.
Rob
and I saw on the news a BC RCMP from around Chilliwack saying they have more important things to do then enforce that new " law " from a young Transportation minister at the time who is known to have a lead foot lol
Old 11-11-2018, 11:10 PM

One of my relatives worked for BC Government Highways Dept , he was part of a mobile crew that worked on major highway jobs usually of 2 or so years so he moved around a lot . I asked him about Highway #1 around Golden , why so many Albertans were killing themselves , was the road bad ? Poor road layout ? He said no , the Albertans were just used to blasting on straight stretches so when they got to the mountains they didn't have the sense to slow down around corners especially in winter when you know there is this thing called snow that can make a vehicle lose control if you go too fast for conditions .

Also for a few years i worked drilling and blasting on various roads and highways in BC , sometimes the road was down to one lane , the odd time a driver would stop , get out of the car and ask me to drive it past the drill as they got nervous about driving close to the edge of the road when in reality it was just like driving normally . Some people just shouldn't be driving .

Or along farm roads in Alberta how 2 vehicles could crash at an intersection when you can see them coming from 1/2 a mile away but it happens .
Old 11-12-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:

LMFFAO ! Dammit i was just having FUN Tolling on here ! RJ
Old 11-12-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
LMFFAO ! Dammit i was just having FUN Tolling on here ! RJ
Just trying to get people to lighten up.. Which is what EVERYONE needs to do behind the wheel.

I don't get this mentality of "self-policing", I'd much rather wait 3 seconds in the right lane to let the speeder continue on. you are putting yourself and your family in danger (whether legal or not) by creating these chinese road blocks.

Everyone's throwing around the "entitled" BS. Guess what.. Its usually the entitled parents that are bitching about it.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrib View Post
and I saw on the news a BC RCMP from around Chilliwack saying they have more important things to do then enforce that new " law " from a young Transportation minister at the time who is known to have a lead foot lol
Yeah, the former MLA is from the same home town as Flying Phil...Flying Phil Galardi.
It made no sense then and no sense today.
Come drive in Vancouver for a day and witness the idiocy cause the news doesnt do it justice.
And those pointing out the Blue and White Lic. plate the wild rose ones in BC need some manners as well, especially the coal rollers.
Rob
Old 11-12-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
And those pointing out the Blue and White Lic. plate the wild rose ones in BC need some manners as well, especially the coal rollers.
Rob
Oh. I'm not denying the amount of bad drivers with red/white plates.. This thread is full of them (even though 99.9% think "it's not them").
Old 11-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
..........'Are obeying the law, watching the road in front of me while legally passing a slower vehicle'? I know, right?

Or did you mean 'annoying entitled douchebags that dont care for traffic laws'?

If you think I am going to risk safe driving or a ticket because some jerk feels the need to push me you are sadly mistaken. I will however forward the footage to the Rcmp. I have.

That's the answer you as a law obeying citizen means, surely?

Yeah right, I know exactly what you are getting at. 'keep my bright lights on until the left lane lizard moves the hell out of my way' huff huff tough talk...
You know very well that although it may not be law in Alberta the accepted driving behavior on a four lane highway is to move right if you are not passing. There is no safety issue when you do this or chance of getting a ticket it is just the courteous thing to do, what do you have such a problem with that?
Old 11-12-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
You know very well that although it may not be law in Alberta the accepted driving behavior on a four lane highway is to move right if you are not passing. There is no safety issue when you do this or chance of getting a ticket it is just the courteous thing to do, what do you have such a problem with that?
Are you being combative because you are bored? Nothing better to do? I said I pass legally and will of course pull back to the right lane when able and safe to do so. What exactly is your issue with someone who drives within the law?

There is no possible way to count the number of idiots that come flying up behind you on highways and expect you to get the hell out of their way, flashing brights, honking the horn and throwing fingers because someone driving safe and legal is in their way.

After seeing your responses it is easy to see you are one of the people that has veins sticking out in their forehead and neck screaming at the windshield at the top of your lungs for people to GET THE (EXPLETIVE) OUT OF MY WAY.!!! AAAARGHHHH!!! hahaha

Too funny, I get a real kick out of morons like that on the highways. I smile at them when I see them in the ditch a half mile up the road crying for a tow as I pass by.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 11-12-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
The speeding driver is not passing anyone just in the left lane because he is speeding and to lazy to move into the vacant right lane. when I change lanes the bandit is 300 meters behind me, in the process of my passing bandit catch's up tailgating because I won't speed up.

What if you are passing? is it okay to pass at 115 if someone behind you doing 130 may have to slow down until you finish passing?
Old 11-12-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Just trying to get people to lighten up.. Which is what EVERYONE needs to do behind the wheel.

I don't get this mentality of "self-policing", I'd much rather wait 3 seconds in the right lane to let the speeder continue on. you are putting yourself and your family in danger (whether legal or not) by creating these chinese road blocks.

Everyone's throwing around the "entitled" BS. Guess what.. Its usually the entitled parents that are bitching about it.
All Good with Me I like that - let the Rabbit go the Cops will get him sooner or later !

Lots of BAD red & whites in the Summer here with ALL our RUGGED road driving !

Cheers RJ
Old 11-12-2018, 10:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I remember four years ago when B.C. raised the speed limits to 120km/h on some of their highways how forum members said Alberta should do the same because it was obvious the extra speed didn't increase fatalities.
Well...turns out that's not the case https://ca.yahoo.com/news/speed-limi...170657320.html
Fatalities on those highways has double in the last four years.
I went on a bike ride through BC, felt very uncomfortable doing 120 clicks and being passed by minivans with kids strapped in as if I was almost standing still....man when that vehicle comes to rest, all airbags deployed there will be 500 meters of debris and bodies or body parts......we are ok....we are wrapped in safety devices

I kept my speed down to 110 and just poked through the mountains....took the slower roads for the most part enjoying the scenery.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Are you being combative because you are bored? Nothing better to do? I said I pass legally and will of course pull back to the right lane when able and safe to do so. What exactly is your issue with someone who drives within the law?

There is no possible way to count the number of idiots that come flying up behind you on highways and expect you to get the hell out of their way, flashing brights, honking the horn and throwing fingers because someone driving safe and legal is in their way.

After seeing your responses it is easy to see you are one of the people that has veins sticking out in their forehead and neck screaming at the top of your lungs for people to GET THE (EXPLETIVE) OUT OF MY WAY.!!! AAAARGHHHH!!! hahaha

Too funny, I get a real kick out of morons like that on the highways. I smile at them when I see them in the ditch a half mile up the road crying for a tow as I pass by.
Not combative at all and I am never in that much of a hurry to get to excited when driving. I rarely have any problems driving. I must say when it comes to veins sticking out you have multiple posts about your problems when driving, on the highway, in town, in Lloyd, in parking lots constantly calling other drivers idiots, morons, jerks, douchebags. You have dash cam, back cam so you can "get" them.............you really should try and relax a bit more when your behind the wheel
Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The speeding driver is not passing anyone just in the left lane because he is speeding and to lazy to move into the vacant right lane. when I change lanes the bandit is 300 meters behind me, in the process of my passing bandit catch's up tailgating because I won't speed up.

What if you are passing? is it okay to pass at 115 if someone behind you doing 130 may have to slow down until you finish passing?
Typically when I am driving with my family (or by myself) I don't want to challenge an erratic driver, If someone is coming up that fast I would let them pass first before I moved over to pass.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Not combative at all and I am never in that much of a hurry to get to excited when driving. I rarely have any problems driving. I must say when it comes to veins sticking out you have multiple posts about your problems when driving, on the highway, in town, in Lloyd, in parking lots constantly calling other drivers idiots, morons, jerks, douchebags. You have dash cam, back cam so you can "get" them.............you really should try and relax a bit more when your behind the wheel
Quote:
Really. Do tell lol.
I am relaxed when I drive, I sit back and watch the popped veins fly around like idiots. The dashcam gives me peace of mind should the need arise. It is funny too when these people see the dashcam and understand my smile. Exit stage right lol.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Typically when I am driving with my family (or by myself) I don't want to challenge an erratic driver, If someone is coming up that fast I would let them pass first before I moved over to pass.
I'm supposed to slow down to accommodate speeding and hogging the passing lane ?

Not going to happen
Old 11-14-2018, 11:06 AM

This seems appropriate here..

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/241...hA7q1IilAWKxjA

Now if only Alberta would follow suit..
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It is funny too when these people see the dashcam and understand my smile. Exit stage right lol.
Always wondered. Do the police actually use the dash cam as evidence? I thought I read in the news the other day that they do not or cannot.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Always wondered. Do the police actually use the dash cam as evidence? I thought I read in the news the other day that they do not or cannot.
Unsure about LEO's, but insurance companies will use them to determine fault.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:18 AM

I could see reducing the speed limit on the Coq but, for 60 KMs, from Mill Bay to Nanaimo, they've reduced the speed from 90 to 80 and once you get into Nanaimo and onto the parkway, the speed goes back up to 90. How this makes any sense is beyond me. The white knuckling, left lane hoggers are still going to drive horribly and so slow that they hold up traffic. Now they'll be driving 60 instead of 70 with their hazards flashing.

Should have been targeting the left lane hoggers instead of reducing the speed on that stretch and once someone reaches a certain age, I think their ability to drive should be tested everyone couple of years in order to retain their license. I witness scary and dangerous driving habits from many of the seniors there.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 AM

If I'm about to pass someone on QE2 at 110(ish) and I look in my mirror and see a guy coming up in the PASSING lane at 140, I'm gonna wait and let him go by before I pass, I'm not gonna be a jerk and quickly pull in the passing lane, claim my spot, and slow him down.

It's up to me to drive safely, not enforce the law.
They'll be a white car waiting beside an overpass up near Innisfail that will do that for us.

If someone is behind you in the left lane and appears to be traveling faster than you, get out of the way!! What's the problem?
If once in a while you have to take the cruise control off and speed up a wee bit (or slow down if not passing) to prevent bunching up traffic, provoking road rage, and make it safer for everyone, it's not the end of the world.

I admit I've been both types of drivers over the years. The guy just givin' er in the left lane at 145 in a hurry to shave 12 minutes off a 5 hour drive, and I've also been the goof who has all the time in the world and firmly decides "no way I'm moving over for this jerk in the BMW, he can wait until I pass these 3 trucks and 2 travel trailers at 108km". (rarely, but I'm sure I've been guilty of it a time or two)

Now I just drive with as much awareness, courtesy, and common sense as possible. I try and do my part to keep things moving safely out there.

If I wanted to be a traffic cop, I'd get in shape, apply for the job, get the training and the badge. Until then, I'll just try and be a good driver and not be part of the problem.