Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 03:17 PM

Default Polar Bear Populations: Who Has it Right?

I found this article quiet interesting. The local Inuit populations say the bears are increasing in some areas and stable in other, and in no danger from climate change (more or less, they are adapting), which directly contradicts the scientists and their models that say the populations are all in danger. Of course, most of them have never been to Nunavut, and the models are just....well, models. I know who's knowledge I have more faith in, and it's not those with an ideological agenda who are trying to get more grant money to support the agenda in question. I can see where the Inuit have skin in the game, as some of them have been preyed on in recent years....

https://nationalpost.com/news/so-man...numbers-unsafe

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-12-2018, 03:35 PM

Keep in mind which group profits from guiding and the sale of polar bear parts....
Old 11-12-2018, 03:50 PM

Remember the video of the starving polar bear a few months ago that some used to warn about climate change? There were plenty of researchers speaking out against it, saying the numbers aren't declining everywhere and some populations are stable or growing.
Most people just don't want to hear about it as it isn't generating enough clicks for news articles and advertising.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Banned

All I hope is that there is at least one bear left by the time I can afford a guided hunt. Would make one heck of a rug!
Old 11-12-2018, 04:13 PM

I would say both parties are correct. The Polar bears are staying longer on land because the ice flows are taking longer to form. Thus getting ever hungrier and encroaching closer to humans,the easier target.

As far as numbers go, I am not sure yet would think Mother Nature would take care of her own, in her own way and not let them over-populate? One could argue that Mother Nature might have them create more young because they aren't living a very long life.

It was indeed a good article though.. I think it's getting ever harder for them (Bears) to survive.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Keep in mind which group profits from guiding and the sale of polar bear parts....
Exactly right, so it is in their best interest to maintain a healthy and viable population based on accurate numbers, right? Wouldn't want to kill the goose that lays the polar bear eggs, or however that goes.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-12-2018, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
All I hope is that there is at least one bear left by the time I can afford a guided hunt. Would make one heck of a rug!
Now thats funny! Lol
Old 11-12-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Exactly right, so it is in their best interest to maintain a healthy and viable population based on accurate numbers, right? Wouldn't want to kill the goose that lays the polar bear eggs, or however that goes.....
Depends. In the long run yes.... but this is a here and now generation. Greed can overpower many a man.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Depends. In the long run yes.... but this is a here and now generation. Greed can overpower many a man.
I was a little tongue in cheek with that post for sure, thought the polar bear eggs would indicate that....got to be careful about negative comments on stewards of the land though.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Are you a racist or simply someone who has no clue what they’re speaking about?
Old 11-12-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Are you a racist or simply someone who has no clue what they’re speaking about?
His perspective seems to depend on what lawsuits are on the table.
Might Expect Treaty Inclusion Someday.

Good to see you Monkey, been too long.

Of course those scientists claiming these bears are in big trouble have absolutely no personal bias or self interest....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-12-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
And which groups needs there to be reasons to get millions in grant research money and not upset WWF
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-12-2018, 06:02 PM

They love a good political football in Nunavut. It's got a government even more top heavy than Quebec's.

It's interesting times in Nunavut, their government is doing very poorly and it may be structural, there are no parties in Nunavut. A lot of people are calling for a lot bigger change than an election will bring, and they may be right. It may be needed.

But if you follow the Nunavut news, winning these types of battles over control, are a really big deal in Nunavut right now a lot bigger than most realize.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:29 PM

PERHAPS those are the same biologists that claim that we are running out of grizzly bears, too, whereas the 'locals' claim otherwise........
Old 11-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Banned

(know)ledge>be(lie)f
Old 11-12-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
PERHAPS those are the same biologists that claim that we are running out of grizzly bears, too, whereas the 'locals' claim otherwise........
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:04 PM

Once again, people will believe what they want to believe. They will support the perspective that benefits themselves.

Ironically, the reality is climate change has had effects on many forms of wildlife, simply, it's how successfully can these species adapt to these changes. Many species are not so fortunate.

Adaptation is a precursor to evolution. These bears are clearly able to adapt well in many areas ..... I would not doubt that ........... and that's good news for that species if that proves true.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:15 PM

I was up in Nunavut this fall. It's a much different story once you are up there. Our camp was 50 miles from where a local was killed from a polar bear in August. There is a whole story to It, but in the end 5 polar bears came into their camp. This was in about 4 days.

There is a lot of polar bears running around up there, more than I would have thought.

But I guess it is the same as grizzles here.... they are everywhere.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:20 PM

A few days ago, there was a report that global animal populations had decreased by more than 50%. That may be true, but the world is a big place, with huge diversity in the kinds and numbers of animals. So......how much credibility is there to such a claim?? I simply don't know......
Old 11-12-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
I was up in Nunavut this fall. It's a much different story once you are up there. Our camp was 50 miles from where a local was killed from a polar bear in August. There is a whole story to It, but in the end 5 polar bears came into their camp. This was in about 4 days.

There is a lot of polar bears running around up there, more than I would have thought.

But I guess it is the same as grizzles here.... they are everywhere.
>>
I believe this 100%...Word is getting out that seals are not the only game in town. I've also read that Polar Bears are one of the species which will stalk and take down a human being.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:52 PM

The polar bears were in the north for a millennium. They most likely evolved from the times when the north was full of forests long before the ice came. Then they adapted to the ice. Now the polar bears will adapt to more of a land base animal. They are a successful species.

We should transplant some polar bears to the west coast to take care of the seals there.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-12-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The polar bears were in the north for a millennium. They most likely evolved from the times when the north was full of forests long before the ice came. Then they adapted to the ice. Now the polar bears will adapt to more of a land base animal. They are a successful species.

We should transplant some polar bears to the west coast to take care of the seals there.
>>
Transplant them to Alberta to take care of the Grizz here! At least we'd see them more readily
Old 11-12-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>
Transplant them to Alberta to take care of the Grizz here! At least we'd see them more readily
A guy would just need a armed bear watch guy outside the ice fishing tent.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-12-2018, 11:30 PM

Twisted,

If I may answer on behalf of the World Wildlife Fund....

The scientists interviewed for this article are full of it.

The latest update from the WWF on Polar Bears.

Only ONE surveyed sub-population is currently in decline.

https://arcticwwf.org/species/polar-bear/population/

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-13-2018, 06:19 AM

How many Inuit hunters have perished this year (2) from Claws of great white beast.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:52 AM

Never new a polar bear or grizz that did not find food when he was hungry, regardless of how much ice and seals. They adapt like the rest of us!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:25 AM

If you want to use stories about an animal to raise money it is pretty hard to beat the polar bear. Tell people that the codfish are endangered and they will not reach for their checkbook.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Never new a polar bear or grizz that did not find food when he was hungry, regardless of how much ice and seals. They adapt like the rest of us!
I don’t know man.... grizzly has many food sources. A polar bear is very specialized. They pretty much fast until the ice returns and they can hunt seals again........
Old 11-13-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I don’t know man.... grizzly has many food sources. A polar bear is very specialized. They pretty much fast until the ice returns and they can hunt seals again........
>>
And this is why they are moving inland to where another source of food is..I believe this to be true.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>
And this is why they are moving inland to where another source of food is..I believe this to be true.
They are moving inland and not going out on the ice when it returns? What is this other food source you speak of? Garbage dumps?