Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 06:40 AM

Just got a email from LEM that grinders are 25% off. An update on my Weston #22 Pro Series, is that I couldn't be happier. This thing grinds so fast. I have only made some pork sausage so far but it fed as fast as I could put it in the throat. Also if anyone is looking to try some sausage seasonings I tried the breakfast,hot Italian, sweet Italian, Bratwurst and Cajun spices from LEM. These are VERY VERY good. Nice that they offer pre packaged spices to make 5 lbs of sausage. I have made to many 25 lb batches that I wasn't crazy about. Got a bunch of sausage seasonings from Walton's Inc as well. Suppose to be good but I've never tried them. Walton's has excellent videos on Youtube. Search MEATGYSTICS. Very informative as shows how to do almost everything involving meat processing. The spices from LEM are under the BACKWOODS name.

Last edited by Beeman3; 11-07-2018 at 06:42 AM. Reason: forgot to add some information
Old 11-07-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Just got a email from LEM that grinders are 25% off. An update on my Weston #22 Pro Series, is that I couldn't be happier. This thing grinds so fast. I have only made some pork sausage so far but it fed as fast as I could put it in the throat. Also if anyone is looking to try some sausage seasonings I tried the breakfast,hot Italian, sweet Italian, Bratwurst and Cajun spices from LEM. These are VERY VERY good. Nice that they offer pre packaged spices to make 5 lbs of sausage. I have made to many 25 lb batches that I wasn't crazy about. Got a bunch of sausage seasonings from Walton's Inc as well. Suppose to be good but I've never tried them. Walton's has excellent videos on Youtube. Search MEATGYSTICS. Very informative as shows how to do almost everything involving meat processing. The spices from LEM are under the BACKWOODS name.
Best prices I found for Weston and LEM was on Ebay.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:52 AM

Chalk one in the LEM Column for me.

Never used the Cabelas, as my LEM made very short work of 90 lbs of deer last year. Passed through course grind then a fine grind with no issues. This year I wont bother with Fine grind as I find it TOO fine. Course grind will be perfect on one pass.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:03 AM

I have the Cabelas 1 hp with the foot pedal and it’s been flawless for me. I’ve done a couple moose and several deer through it and I use it to stuff my sausage as well. I made 50 lbs of Mennonite and 50 lbs of fresh farmer sausage this past weekend. Every time I use this grinder I wonder why I didn’t get one earlier.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-11-2018, 01:06 PM

Default LEM vs. Cabelas grinder

Just saw that Cabelas has the 1 hp grinder on sale for $120 off and thought some here may be interested.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/82614...e-1-hp-grinder

ETA: The foot pedal is also on sale.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/64889...der-foot-pedal

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors

Last edited by SamSteele; 11-11-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:32 PM

I had a # 8 LEM. And within a couple of years the motor got so noisy it was hard to be around. So I bought a 1 HP cabelas and I love it outside of the weight Can’t beat the warranty either. Friends have LEMS and have had no issues so Iam sure I just got a bad one or worked it too hard.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Chalk one in the LEM Column for me.

Never used the Cabelas, as my LEM made very short work of 90 lbs of deer last year. Passed through course grind then a fine grind with no issues. This year I wont bother with Fine grind as I find it TOO fine. Course grind will be perfect on one pass.
I found this with my elk last year too. When its in the frying pan it tends to become its own patty rather than ground meat. I am not sure if i am imagining it but maybe someone here can clarify. I have the previous Cabelas 1 hp model.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Just saw that Cabelas has the 1 hp grinder on sale for $120 off and thought some here may be interested.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/82614...e-1-hp-grinder

ETA: The foot pedal is also on sale.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/64889...der-foot-pedal

SS
I waited all year for them to go on sale and they didn’t so I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and dropped around $2000 on processing stuff. I wonder how if I took the receipt in if Cabela’s I’d they would give me a credit for some of the stuff that’s on sale ?? Anybody else try this there ??
Old 11-12-2018, 05:54 PM

Just picked the 1 HP grinder up today!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:00 PM

While standing there and trying to decide on the 3/4hp of the 1hp. four 1hp. grinders left the store!Hot ticket item!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I have the Cabelas 1 hp with the foot pedal and it’s been flawless for me. I’ve done a couple moose and several deer through it and I use it to stuff my sausage as well. I made 50 lbs of Mennonite and 50 lbs of fresh farmer sausage this past weekend. Every time I use this grinder I wonder why I didn’t get one earlier.
You ground up a menonite AND a farmer? made sausage out of them? Which one tastes better?

How did you catch the menonite? they seems pretty clever to me and quite squirrely when you try and wrestle them down.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:53 AM

I have a Cabela's 3/4 hp, and yes you have to put it through twice, once through the course and once through the fine, but you know, big deal. It is what YOU want, if you want to take all afternoon to process 3 deer, it is your choice. I am satisfied with the 3/4 hp, but do I wish for a 1 hp? If it will take the work and do it all? yea I wish a 1 hp. But at the time I bought the 3/4 it was about $200.00 cheaper, (bought it a long time ago) and I used it to process 4 deer and that is it until next year. I do not use it to process animals other then deer.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
I have a Cabela's 3/4 hp, and yes you have to put it through twice, once through the course and once through the fine, but you know, big deal. It is what YOU want, if you want to take all afternoon to process 3 deer, it is your choice. I am satisfied with the 3/4 hp, but do I wish for a 1 hp? If it will take the work and do it all? yea I wish a 1 hp. But at the time I bought the 3/4 it was about $200.00 cheaper, (bought it a long time ago) and I used it to process 4 deer and that is it until next year. I do not use it to process animals other then deer.

Haven’t had any issues with my .5 hp LEM grinding through the fine plates once. Just go a bit slower and don’t try to push it through completely frozen.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
I waited all year for them to go on sale and they didn’t so I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and dropped around $2000 on processing stuff. I wonder how if I took the receipt in if Cabela’s I’d they would give me a credit for some of the stuff that’s on sale ?? Anybody else try this there ??
I think you have 30 days. Bring in the receipt and they should refund you the difference.